Distressed cruiser - testing

26 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

What an image that conjures up! :classic_laugh:

We're two weeks out and since we're sailing from Italy the test has to be done just one day before. Which in turn means we can't even do it before we leave home because we're going two days before. That just makes the whole thing even more stressful.

Can you all please keep your fingers, legs and eyes crossed for us?

Good luck ☘️ . When you get onboard post back here when you get your first drink. 

• Like 3

We are due to sail in a week and a half for the first time since the restart.  (I think we are up to at least 6 cancelled cruises in the meantime.)  No more rapid antigen tests in our area and the proctored home tests do seem like a better alternative anyway.  BUT I have to agree that it is still stressful and sucks the joy out of the pre-cruise anticipation.  I'm not a "beach person" and prefer to cruise in Europe and Asia but there is no way I am buying expensive airfare, dealing with confusing and ever changing rules, and then being denied boarding. 

Add to that the frequent airline cancellations, sky high rental car prices and inflation and we now have something a perfect storm for travel.  Until the testing is over I'm feeling limited to only sailing out of New York.  Since I am annoyed by Bermuda and Canada's ongoing extra nonsense it is very limiting.  We're taking next week's cruise just to get on a ship again but feeling more fed up than excited.  We are vaxed and boosted and enough is enough. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

We are due to sail in a week and a half for the first time since the restart.  (I think we are up to at least 6 cancelled cruises in the meantime.)  No more rapid antigen tests in our area and the proctored home tests do seem like a better alternative anyway.  BUT I have to agree that it is still stressful and sucks the joy out of the pre-cruise anticipation.  I'm not a "beach person" and prefer to cruise in Europe and Asia but there is no way I am buying expensive airfare, dealing with confusing and ever changing rules, and then being denied boarding. 

Add to that the frequent airline cancellations, sky high rental car prices and inflation and we now have something a perfect storm for travel.  Until the testing is over I'm feeling limited to only sailing out of New York.  Since I am annoyed by Bermuda and Canada's ongoing extra nonsense it is very limiting.  We're taking next week's cruise just to get on a ship again but feeling more fed up than excited.  We are vaxed and boosted and enough is enough. 

Once you do the covid test and get your results you will feel better! We have done 4 cruises in the past 6 months and yes a bit stressful but once on the ship you will be glad you did.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm surprised Walgreens isn't offering the rapid NAAT test in your area.  It's available in Phoenix, Flagstaff and Tucson.  If you are more rural the eMed tests are simple and work great.  Just give yourself ample time in case of shipping delays.

Live in Tucson. It looks like they do Rapid naat test but when you try to book an appointment it only gives you the PCR option.  I plan on visiting our Walgreens pharmacy when it’s closer to time.

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

Testing everywhere is very doable but prospect of failing that test 48 hours before your vacation begins is up there with licking urine off a stinging nettle. 

That's not something I am familiar with.  Please share your experience.

• Haha 6

Yes, it’s stressful and something to add (MxCatLady’s CVS results took too long earlier this month, so was glad I had brought some EMed just in case, and yes, stressful to worry about what if you get a positive and having to not board, but some much better than *not* knowing you were positive and giving  someone on board COVID (especially a kid under 5 who can’t get vaxxed yet, or an immuno compromised person for whom the antibodies are not as effective) where they might get really sick. I am just thankful they have the EMed option. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, britty1 said:

Live in Tucson. It looks like they do Rapid naat test but when you try to book an appointment it only gives you the PCR option.  I plan on visiting our Walgreens pharmacy when it’s closer to time.

NAAT is PCR.  

I just did a Walgreens rapid NAAT and have another booked next week... in Florida though.  Results back in just over an hour.  This is how the state reports the test result:

image.thumb.jpeg.ed2b3b57c8c5f6189d6a311a944aaf4b.jpeg

Assuming it's free in AZ for you why not try one tomorrow and see how it goes?

• Like 2

I'm in Baltimore area. Walgreens for some reason hasn't/doesn't do the rapid test here. Could drive to VA or PA (not!). CVS stopped doing the rapid antigen test as of Apr 21st as I heard they're trying to get the pricing into the system now that the test isn't free. I bought the Abott BinaxNow proctored tests and lucked out with a set of iHealth tests from the government so I could add on the iHealth proctored fee there as well. It was nice having the rapid PCR at my CVS for my Nov cruise and post-cruise testing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Did two cruises post Covid. We won’t go again until testing requirements are gone. Last time around, Royal gave my three year old a bloody nose!

Then you will never cruise again. The testing requirements will never go away. Masks may and might but testing won't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You sure this time? Any prognosis on vaccinations?

What do you think will happen? I think they will insist upon it for as long as it can be rolled out to the different age group and take it on age group by age group basis as they are doing now.

20 hours ago, britty1 said:

Cruising has always been fun when planning a cruise - not so much anymore. The testing requirement is making getting ready to cruise very stressful. Covid is currently not raging in our area and Walgreens and CVS have stopped doing rapid testing and now are only offering the 48-72 hour PCR tests.  Not going til June so still have time and my back-up will be IHEALTH proctored test.  Was hoping this testing would be discontinued so my anxiety level would turn back to enjoyment. Anyone else no longer having fun.

Is your walgreens offering the rapid Naat test, this is acceptable.   We used them end of March and had results in less than 1 hr.    Or the emed or ihealth kits are another great option.

Once you have results and can do Happy Dance let the fun begin!

18 hours ago, FionaMG said:

What an image that conjures up! :classic_laugh:

We're two weeks out and since we're sailing from Italy the test has to be done just one day before. Which in turn means we can't even do it before we leave home because we're going two days before. That just makes the whole thing even more stressful.

Can you all please keep your fingers, legs and eyes crossed for us?

In your case I would probably do one of the free governments tests before leaving home just to make sure all good to go at that time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, britty1 said:

In PA not all walgreens offer the rapid test.   You have to make sure the store you pick does it.  Usually shows up on Walgreen with a blue and red circle on their location map.

8 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Did two cruises post Covid. We won’t go again until testing requirements are gone. Last time around, Royal gave my three year old a bloody nose!

Sorry to hear that.   Were they squirming around making testing difficult?   They were very kind to us when tested by their lab people.    Eurofins administers the test onboard Anthem.   

20 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Whatever makes somebody feel comfortable.  If you tube is enough, great.  On the other hand, I have an older relative who was quite uncomfortable with the proctored test process until it was done on his computer with his camera and internet connection in his living room.  It was not a waste as a test was needed that day anyway (though non proctored test would have sufficed, we had plenty of proctored emed tests kits with approaching exp dates).  

Expiration dates are changing. Make sure to see if yours have been extended before discarding. 

For me the stressful part is the air travel. Travelling in the winter, worried will there be weather problems? will the planes be flying? Will there be any delays? What are the backup plans?

This stress is there for every cruise but it does not prevent pre-cruise anticipation and enjoyment. And it is a much bigger problem than COVID test logistics. It was very simple and easy to buy the proctored test and take the test before the cruise. 

Air travel issues have always been a worry and always will be. But they don't prevent pre-cruise enjoyment. Test logistics shouldn't be any different.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

In your case I would probably do one of the free governments tests before leaving home just to make sure all good to go at that time.

We definitely would but we don't have those where we live, unfortunately. Our local council does still offer some but you have to go in person to their facility and they've scaled it back to 3 days a week, so that doesn't work for us either. We're just going to use self-tests from the pharmacy on the morning of travel for peace of mind.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

NAAT is PCR.  

I just did a Walgreens rapid NAAT and have another booked next week... in Florida though.  Results back in just over an hour.  This is how the state reports the test result:

image.thumb.jpeg.ed2b3b57c8c5f6189d6a311a944aaf4b.jpeg

Assuming it's free in AZ for you why not try one tomorrow and see how it goes?

Yes I know the Naat Is PCR but rapid however these are the PCR test results in 48-72 hours. 

20 hours ago, davekathy said:

My wife and I did the Rapid NAAT Test this morning at Walgreens. Negative. Right on! Wish RC wound do away with the pre cruise covid testing. 

Congrats my friend...on being so positive about being so negative.  😄  

Hope you and Kathy have a fantabulous cruise!  Did she like her "burpee top" boot?  😉 

Agree...wish they would do away with the testing.  Testing labs are making some major $$.  

• Like 2