Distressed cruiser - testing

Cruising has always been fun when planning a cruise - not so much anymore. The testing requirement is making getting ready to cruise very stressful. Covid is currently not raging in our area and Walgreens and CVS have stopped doing rapid testing and now are only offering the 48-72 hour PCR tests.  Not going til June so still have time and my back-up will be IHEALTH proctored test.  Was hoping this testing would be discontinued so my anxiety level would turn back to enjoyment. Anyone else no longer having fun.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I feel the same, we fly to the US from the UK in June so have to be tested, then need another test to do an RCI landtour, and then another test to get on the ship.   We always used to get excited in anticipation of a trip but this time facing 3 test it only takes one thing to scupper our plans.   

• Like 7

We used the emed proctored tests for our last cruise.  We are not technologically adept yet it went just fine.  We have not done the iHealth test proctored tests, but they should be fine, too; I’m delighted to have another choice.  Come testing time, I do suggest having extra test kits on hand just in case you get a bad kit or an indeterminate result or such.

If you are really stressed over this, maybe do a practice proctored test.  It will cost a few $, but going through the process now will assure you that your equipment works with the proctoring service and you get your results as so forth.  Stop stressing, give it a try if that’s what it takes to relax and pleasantly anticipate your cruise.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

We used the emed proctored tests for our last cruise.  We are not technologically adept yet it went just fine.  We have not done the iHealth test proctored tests, but they should be fine, too; I’m delighted to have another choice.  Come testing time, I do suggest having extra test kits on hand just in case you get a bad kit or an indeterminate result or such.

If you are really stressed over this, maybe do a practice proctored test.  It will cost a few $, but going through the process now will assure you that your equipment works with the proctoring service and you get your results as so forth.  Stop stressing, give it a try if that’s what it takes to relax and pleasantly anticipate your cruise.

There are youtube videos to watch - a better option than wasting a test.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I also stressed about the testing but after doing the proctored on line test I think it was all for nothing. It really was very easy. To help ease your mind a little look on utube for a video of someone doing the proctored test so you know basically what to expect. That should help the stress a little bit.

• Like 8

I agree although in my case it's not so much about the actual process of testing but the potential of a positive result to keep us from boarding. It just completely ruins the usual pre-cruise anticipation and build-up. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

There are youtube videos to watch - a better option than wasting a test.

Whatever makes somebody feel comfortable.  If you tube is enough, great.  On the other hand, I have an older relative who was quite uncomfortable with the proctored test process until it was done on his computer with his camera and internet connection in his living room.  It was not a waste as a test was needed that day anyway (though non proctored test would have sufficed, we had plenty of proctored emed tests kits with approaching exp dates).  

• Like 1

Couldn’t agree more. We’re around 10 weeks away, close to final payment and still not 100% that we’re going. Testing in itself is a doddle. I get tested regularly through work and my nose is long bored of it. If I get a positive, I work remotely. No big deal. However, it sucks ALL the enjoyment out of the build up to a cruise. 

• Like 8

I understand. Our first cruise back was in December just when Omicron started and it was impossible to get test appointments. I waited up until midnight 13 days before our test date to grab four available slots at CVS. I also bought the eMed tests. And I was stressed about it. The morning of testing, the eMed web site was down for eight hours. Then, we had a bad test. It seemed that everything that could go wrong, did. But I kept reminding myself we had two days to get it done. We ended up all testing negative and had a great cruise.

For our second cruise in March, I didn't feel the same stress level at all. I guess I figured it couldn't get too much worse. It snowed the day of our tests and CVS canceled our appointments. So, we did the eMed tests that we still had leftover from our Christmas cruise without issue.

Have you done a home test before? Do you have the free ones? You can order them from https://www.covid.gov/tests. Take one to see it's no big deal. Then the eMed test will be familiar.  I took tests after I returned home then again five days later, so they're good to have on hand.

It's stressful because it's unusual. Once it's part of the routine, it's just that -- routine. There are folks who have taken dozens of cruises since restart. 

I think there is always a level of pre-cruise stress, even in the "before times". The airline cancellations in March were much worse to my mind than the testing. I don't usually relax until I am onboard.

• Like 3

I'm surprised Walgreens isn't offering the rapid NAAT test in your area.  It's available in Phoenix, Flagstaff and Tucson.  If you are more rural the eMed tests are simple and work great.  Just give yourself ample time in case of shipping delays.

• Like 1

We cruise Sunday and just had our test at Walgreens and they did do the rapid NAAT test. Had results in one hour and printed them.  Walgreens isn't doing the rapid antigen test but it makes no difference.  Yes this whole thing is so stressful. 

Edited by torpeedo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, britty1 said:

Cruising has always been fun when planning a cruise - not so much anymore. The testing requirement is making getting ready to cruise very stressful. Covid is currently not raging in our area and Walgreens and CVS have stopped doing rapid testing and now are only offering the 48-72 hour PCR tests.  Not going til June so still have time and my back-up will be IHEALTH proctored test.  Was hoping this testing would be discontinued so my anxiety level would turn back to enjoyment. Anyone else no longer having fun.

I agree it is no longer a relaxing vacation. We booked a b2b and then found out the second cruise that stops in Bermuda is now requiring not only additional testing but a $40 per person fee even if you don't get off the ship. Not fair

• Like 2

It's been bothering me a lot too, but we can get freebie self tests at local pharmacies.  I got a box of them and hope to test every couple of days to make sure all is ok before doing the "real" test by a certified testing sight prior to flight.  Still anxious about it, but not as much.

• Like 3

Be glad you're not going with Viking, where pax undergo a daily PCR test - this is in addition to the usual pre-departure testing. Recently it appears many Viking pax are testing positive on river boats and then have to disembark and quarantine in a local hotel. Lots of chatter here on CC about hoping they do away with the daily tests. 

For our last RCL cruise, our scheduled test was canceled the night before, so had to scramble to reschedule. For our upcoming Viking, have to test no sooner than 24 hours before international flight. Planning to use an after-6pm walk-in urgent care facility for that. I have little interest in doing one of these proctored versions. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

Ya know it’s always something.  I got all 6 of us in 3 different states to manage to schedule, take and receive negative results prior to our cruise.  THANK GOD!!!!  We are all set.  Then a storm came up the east coast the day we were all to fly out & 2 of our party were unable to get to Florida in time.  So in our case, the testing was easy the weather was not.  Seems there’s always another hurdle to jump.

• Like 4

Add me to the list of people who recommend the eMed at home test. I have used them for my last 6 cruises and the process couldn’t be easier. I will use them again for my cruise next week, a cruise in May and two cruises in June. In my opinion there is nothing to worry about when it comes to testing. I guess I would be worried if I tested positive, but that is another topic. 

10 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

just had our test at Walgreens and they did do the rapid NAAT test. Had results in one hour and printed them.

That's what we did after the one with CVS was canceled. Once onboard the Enchantment a few weeks ago, it was fine. Felt a bit weird that so few were wearing masks (we did), but otherwise the cruise felt basically normal. 

14 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I haven't been stressed and got tested in a few international countries already.  Just plan for it, have a back-up plan.  Testing in the USA is easy.  Internationally, takes planning. 

Testing everywhere is very doable but prospect of failing that test 48 hours before your vacation begins is up there with licking urine off a stinging nettle. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, britty1 said:

right there with you. We booked with CVS for the antigen test and was worried they'd call and cancel. Luckily that never happened.

Then waiting for the results ramps up the anxiety too. We just went through this yesterday for a Sunday departure. Thankfully we both came back negative.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Testing everywhere is very doable but prospect of failing that test 48 hours before your vacation begins is up there with licking urine off a stinging nettle. 

What an image that conjures up! :classic_laugh:

We're two weeks out and since we're sailing from Italy the test has to be done just one day before. Which in turn means we can't even do it before we leave home because we're going two days before. That just makes the whole thing even more stressful.

Can you all please keep your fingers, legs and eyes crossed for us?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, welshrich said:

I feel the same, we fly to the US from the UK in June so have to be tested, then need another test to do an RCI landtour, and then another test to get on the ship.   We always used to get excited in anticipation of a trip but this time facing 3 test it only takes one thing to scupper our plans.   

Why can you not do the fly/boarding ship test at the same time. We are on NCL flying May 20th and Boarding May 21st. I am virtually certain that we only have to do 1 test on May 19th and flying and boarding are covered in the same test.

• Like 1