Distressed cruiser - testing

7 hours ago, LinRon3 said:

We've done abbott tests no problem...from home. But what about in foreign country...onboard for flight home to usa? Anyone here use abbott tests while onboard for disembark? We're in Baltic june. We'll prob cancel if no word on flight home. 

We got rci update on protocols for Baltic today from our agent. In short rci is just kicking you off the ship and you fend on your own. Thanks rci for nothing. Strand a few passengers overseas ought to do wonders for your image. Just sayin...this stinks. We don't mind paying but no advice or instructs or help at all...just "see 'ya" stinks.  Bad business ioho. 

9 minutes ago, LinRon3 said:

We got rci update on protocols for Baltic today from our agent. In short rci is just kicking you off the ship and you fend on your own. Thanks rci for nothing. Strand a few passengers overseas ought to do wonders for your image. Just sayin...this stinks. We don't mind paying but no advice or instructs or help at all...just "see 'ya" stinks.  Bad business ioho. 

We were booked on a Baltics cruise for June too.  This is one of the reasons we cancelled.  It just seemed to be too "all over the place" at final payment and Royal was not being the least bit helpful.  There will be other years and other ships but I agree that the lack of help with European embarkations this year stinks.  As you said it is not just bad for us, but bad for business.  We booked with NCL instead for next year.

Edited by Travelling2Some

I just bit the bullet and purchased the emed kits for my upcoming Adventure cruise next month. I'm in Jersey and CVS and Walgreens have also stopped their Rapid testing. I've already cruised with Royal twice this year and I didn't know what I was to do. I don't own an iphone or any smart phone  but I do have this Chromebook with a camera, so I'll give it a shot! Hopefully it works or I'll be running off to one of those Urgent care places!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, twangster said:

Use the Rapid NAAT.  Walgreens here has never rapid antigen but the rapid NAAT is all over Brevard county in dozens of Walgreens.  

Thanks.  I posted in #109 thanking others for that... "NAAT is the one then".  But thanks again.  🙂 

Will make appointment in a few days when their reservation window opens up for my 48 hour prior. 

Just now, island lady said:

Thanks.  I posted in #109 thanking others for that... "NAAT is the one then".  But thanks again.  🙂 

Will make appointment in a few days when their reservation window opens up for my 48 hour prior. 

Sorry, didn't mean to dog pile on you, but I'm also in the area and have tested countless times at Brevard Walgreens so wanted to give some first hand feedback from here.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Sorry, didn't mean to dog pile on you, but I'm also in the area and have tested countless times at Brevard Walgreens so wanted to give some first hand feedback from here.  

No apologies needed...I was thanking you as well.  😉 Nice to have so many friends.   🙂 

Going to try one of my local Walgreens.  Two of the five don't do any testing...but the one on Barna Ave. does.  Going to target that one for my reservation.  

We had been using the MedFast up until now.  Still a back up if needed, since we are registered there since last November for our first come back cruise...but check in there is a PITA.  

13 hours ago, LinRon3 said:

Then don't come forward for testing and let RCL deal with the fall out of outbreaks when they strand you in a country whose language you don't speak? That would soon get them to change their tune.

Edited by ace2542

44 minutes ago, twangster said:

Is the NAAT an invasive test like the PCR?  Or is it more like the rapid antigen?

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Is the NAAT an invasive test like the PCR?  Or is it more like the rapid antigen?

At Walgreens you do it in the drive thru never leaving your car.  They watch you swab yourself.  It is not a "brain tickler" but just like doing an eMed antigen test at home.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 9:38 PM, Billy Baltic said:

Good luck ☘️ . When you get onboard post back here when you get your first drink. 

Well we made it and I can tell you the 10 minutes waiting in the pharmacy in Rome for the test results was definitely stressful enough to be nettle-worthy! I'm so glad it's over and done with (till the next time!).

Non-drinker so first lunch in the WJ will have to do instead! 😁

PXL_20220507_112737817.thumb.jpg.b136555d456a2f0b06934ddf8c560033.jpg

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Well we made it and I can tell you the 10 minutes waiting in the pharmacy in Rome for the test results was definitely stressful enough to be nettle-worthy! I'm so glad it's over and done with (till the next time!).

Non-drinker so first lunch in the WJ will have to do instead! 😁

PXL_20220507_112737817.thumb.jpg.b136555d456a2f0b06934ddf8c560033.jpg

Have a great cruise 😎

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am beyond frustrated with the whole Covid-19 testing scheduling.  I am certain we will wind up at Walgreens, but I had hoped to book CVS since they schedule 14 days out.  Unfortunately, CVS appointments for the rapid test (which is what we want) are not an option in the Orlando area for the date we need.  I just talked to an employee at AdventHealth and the cost per test blew me away, since they aren’t filing on insurance.  Dang, that’s CRAZY to me.

I hope they stop the testing nonsense before our October cruise, but if not, I'll be doing proctored.  Someone here posted a link to an inexpensive ($25?) proctor service.  You BYOT - any test - even the free government tests that come two to to a package that other proctors won't accept.  It seems that the counter agents at the port terminal just look for something that appears official and shows a negative.  

EDIT:  Here is the thread:

Edited by rudeney
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2022 at 12:30 PM, britty1 said:

Cruising has always been fun when planning a cruise - not so much anymore. The testing requirement is making getting ready to cruise very stressful. Covid is currently not raging in our area and Walgreens and CVS have stopped doing rapid testing and now are only offering the 48-72 hour PCR tests.  Not going til June so still have time and my back-up will be IHEALTH proctored test.  Was hoping this testing would be discontinued so my anxiety level would turn back to enjoyment. Anyone else no longer having fun.

If your local doctor's office or hospital has a lab, they can do the test there and you'll have results in less than an hour.

• 3 weeks later...

Completed our tests today with rapidtestandtrace.com

easy to do, printed our negative results so on our way tomorrow.

can’t believe how stressed I was, seriously these tests work. Have two EMED tests that I will use for our Hawaii cruise in Sept.
everything is great. Please try not to stress out like I did, these proctored tests are easy. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1