Dubrovnik City Walls

In a few weeks time going with grandchildren on cruise visiting Dubrovnik amongst other places. I want to get them used to using currency other than pounds or euros. I will order some Croatian currency and to help me gauge how much to get I wonder if anyone knows the current entry fee, in Croatian Kuna, for adults and teenagers to do the city walls walk. I know that euros are widely accepted there but, as I say, like grandchildren to experience other currencies. Thank you for any help

I would be extremely grateful if you can let us know what kind of things you get up to with your grandchildren please. We are visiting next April with a 13 and 11 year old and normally do excursions. We are visiting Split and hope to visit the waterfalls but I would love some ideas for the kind of excursions that P&O offer, especially Dubrovnik. Thank you

You may be helping them to understand there are different currencies,  but you are not teaching them good economics, which is to minimise exchange rate charges by using a credit card that does not apply extra charges for foreign exchangetransactions.

TerrierJohn, you make a good point on alternatives but only one grandchild old enough to have a credit card

2 minutes ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

I would be extremely grateful if you can let us know what kind of things you get up to with your grandchildren please. We are visiting next April with a 13 and 11 year old and normally do excursions. We are visiting Split and hope to visit the waterfalls but I would love some ideas for the kind of excursions that P&O offer, especially Dubrovnik. Thank you

Hello crazy cat lady 83

As you probably know children of those ages are so varied. Our “lot” tended to prefer beach type trips in the past. Historical places they had heard of were popular (Pisa and Rome). The facilities on board ship were very much enjoyed - sports and club activities. P&O do a good and varied selection of trips. Not cheap usually but leaving it all to P&O takes away some of the hassle you may not want to bother with on holiday. 

Each time we really enjoyed the kids revelling in this type of holiday

• Like 1

Children, like adults, have varied interests. However I always took the view that it was a family holiday, and that we, the adults, took the decisions. I’m not a beachy person, so it was always museums, churches and historical places of interest (same as what we did here in Wales) and the children learnt to appreciate and love those types of places. That’s what they do now with their partners. It annoys me when adults presume that their children wouldn’t enjoy sort of thing, when often, they’ve never even bothered introducing their children to places of interest. Children need to go with the flow of family life, in my opinion, and family holidays shouldn’t be all about them. Eat and behave properly in nice restaurants, and then have a Maccies every few days! And if they don’t like it, tough. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Children, like adults, have varied interests. However I always took the view that it was a family holiday, and that we, the adults, took the decisions. I’m not a beachy person, so it was always museums, churches and historical places of interest (same as what we did here in Wales) and the children learnt to appreciate and love those types of places. That’s what they do now with their partners. It annoys me when adults presume that their children wouldn’t enjoy sort of thing, when often, they’ve never even bothered introducing their children to places of interest. Children need to go with the flow of family life, in my opinion, and family holidays shouldn’t be all about them. Eat and behave properly in nice restaurants, and then have a Maccies every few days! And if they don’t like it, tough. 

Hello Ardennais

Agree with vast majority of what you say. Only slight difference is that I see it as a family holiday and if kids wanted a beach day they would most likely get one. I feel you need balance in family life to raise balanced children. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

We sail on Thursday and our ports of call include Dubrovnik and Split.

Current excursions on offer for our cruise in Dubrovnik are:

Charming Cavtat and Dubrovnik £37

Best of Dubrovnick £47

Croatian Wines and Trolley Train £55

Walking the Walls - Small group tour £59

Game of Thrones Walking Tour £62

Dubrovnik by Tuk Tuk £54

A Taste of the Adriatic £50

Scenic Cruise and Old Town Stroll £45

Cable Car and Cavtat £44

Excusions for Split:

Croatian Countryside and Cetina River £46

Game of Thrones Walking Tour £52

A Tale of Two Cities £45

Gems of Split on Foot £26

Split by Tuk Tuk £56

Quad Adventure £120

RIB Safari £97

Krka National Park and Waterfalls £55

I am not sure if this is of any help!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Best of Dubrovnick £47

Dubrovnik by Tuk Tuk £54

Cable Car and Cavtat £44

Excusions for Split:

A Tale of Two Cities £45

Split by Tuk Tuk £56

Quad Adventure £120

RIB Safari £97

20 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Best of Dubrovnick £47

Dubrovnik by Tuk Tuk £54

Cable Car and Cavtat £44

Excusions for Split:

A Tale of Two Cities £45

Split by Tuk Tuk £56

Quad Adventure £120

RIB Safari £97

Caftat well worth a visit.

1 hour ago, Orianababes said:

Hello Ardennais

Agree with vast majority of what you say. Only slight difference is that I see it as a family holiday and if kids wanted a beach day they would most likely get one. I feel you need balance in family life to raise balanced children. 

I agree which is why we did visit our closest beaches at quiet times here in Wales, but not the ones abroad during the peak hot summer season! As I said, we love Maccies as well as having proper sit down meals. I just don’t think that children need to be entertained every single minute and I know that so many parents plan everything around their children which is mad! 

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

Best of Dubrovnick £47

Dubrovnik by Tuk Tuk £54

Cable Car and Cavtat £44

Excusions for Split:

A Tale of Two Cities £45

Split by Tuk Tuk £56

Quad Adventure £120

RIB Safari £97

That is a great help! Thank you so much for adding these. The Krka National park is a must for us. The cable car one in Dubrovnik will have to go on my list too.  I have always wanted my children to experience and see as much as possible. That’s why we love our cruises. The excursions are so expensive. Especially as 13 year olds are classed as adults 😑 but when I am visiting a new destination I do like P&Os excursions, just for peace of mind.

Can you please put on here what you get up to. I would love to hear all about it. I hope you have a fantastic cruise 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

That is a great help! Thank you so much for adding these. The Krka National park is a must for us. The cable car one in Dubrovnik will have to go on my list too.  I have always wanted my children to experience and see as much as possible. That’s why we love our cruises. The excursions are so expensive. Especially as 13 year olds are classed as adults 😑 but when I am visiting a new destination I do like P&Os excursions, just for peace of mind.

Can you please put on here what you get up to. I would love to hear all about it. I hope you have a fantastic cruise 😊

Thank you. Haven't as yet planned any excursions, except one to Venice from Trieste. 

When we went to Dubrovnik several years ago, we had to tender ashore. It may have changed since then. However, the tenders landed just outside the entrance gate to the walled city so you could have a leisurely stroll through the city, which is likely to be very busy with tourists, and back to the tender in less than an hour, dependent on shopping and refreshments of course. 

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

When we went to Dubrovnik several years ago, we had to tender ashore. It may have changed since then. However, the tenders landed just outside the entrance gate to the walled city so you could have a leisurely stroll through the city, which is likely to be very busy with tourists, and back to the tender in less than an hour, dependent on shopping and refreshments of course. 

Been to Dubrovnik twice, in 2016 and (I think) 2018. The ship berthed both times, so tenders weren't required, but it was a shuttle bus ride from the berth to the city. First time the city  was busy, but not overly so. The second time it was absolutely heaving with tourists.

23 minutes ago, LondonLad60 said:

Been to Dubrovnik twice, in 2016 and (I think) 2018. The ship berthed both times, so tenders weren't required, but it was a shuttle bus ride from the berth to the city. First time the city  was busy, but not overly so. The second time it was absolutely heaving with tourists.

We’ve been to Dubrovnik 3 times on cruises in recent years. On 2 of them we had a shuttle bus from the berth to the old city, but on one we anchored within sight of it and tendered straight there. We were told it was a capacity issue and depended on how many ships were due in on a particular day.

On 4/23/2022 at 5:33 PM, crazy cat lady 83 said:

The Krka National park is a must for us. The cable car one in Dubrovnik will have to go on my list too.  

We found the waterfall at Krka rather under-whelming.

It's a great place for a locals' day out, but not really for tourists. A little boat-ride from Skradin, pleasant surroundings for a family picnic, and kids especially will enjoy paddling / swimming in the shallow lake below the waterfall. But a lot of time & money just for a photo-op.

The Ultimate Guide To Krka National Park | Sail Croatia

The main attraction in Split is the Diocletian's Palace and the old-town around it. Only a ten-minute waterfront walk from the cruise berths. But kids would probably be bored.
if you wanted to make it a beach day, a ten minute walk over the headland from the cruise berths takes you to Bacvice beach, in a shallow bay.

Yes, the Mount Srd cablecar is well-worthwhile, and a panoramic view of Dubrovnik & the coast from behind a cool beer at the top station.

If your ship berths at Gruz cruise berths (most do) negotiate a taxi from there to the top cablecar station (about 5 miles / 15 minutes). Views on the way up as well as at the cablecar station, then take the cablecar down to the city. A short downhill walk from the bottom station to the walled city. Saves a chunk of time, allowing you wander the harbour-front, find eats & drinks, then walk the walls.

From outside the Pila Gate, take a taxi or local bus or blag your way onto a ship's transfer bus for the mile-and-a-half back to the ship.

We lodged at Mlini, halfway between Cavcat & Dubrovnik. Both Mlini & Cavcat are pleasant, but small and unworthy of much time. If you choose either - and you have the time - the little ferry from the quay in the walled city is a way-more pleasant experience than by road.

Cavtat Mansion - An Abandoned Building in Croatia

All JMHO as always

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so so much for the time you have spent detailing all this. It’s amazingly helpful and gives me more ideas for research. 
I’m glad the cable car was worth it as the pictures online look stunning. We have done a few cable cars but none like Dubrovnik so it gives us something to look forward to 😊

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 8:14 AM, Orianababes said:

You may be helping them to understand there are different currencies,  but you are not teaching them good economics, which is to minimise exchange rate charges by using a credit card that does not apply extra charges for foreign exchangetransactions.

TerrierJohn, you make a good point on alternatives but only one grandchild old enough to have a credit card

They ALL might like to use a little bit of foreign currencies for something small, ice cream or candy. And get coins back in change as souvenirs. 

We docked at Gruz Harbour and the shuttle bus was, if I remember correctly, £5 each each way if not on select fare.

We did the trip from the ship to the cable car and then on to Cavtat. We then caught the shuttle bus back into Dubrovnik, had some lunch and then wandered around the old town.

20220430_174747.jpg

20220430_091136.jpg

20220430_095111.jpg

20220430_100812.jpg

20220430_112924.jpg

20220430_113622.jpg

On 4/26/2022 at 10:00 PM, crazy cat lady 83 said:

Thank you so so much for the time you have spent detailing all this. It’s amazingly helpful and gives me more ideas for research. 
I’m glad the cable car was worth it as the pictures online look stunning. We have done a few cable cars but none like Dubrovnik so it gives us something to look forward to 😊

When buying tickets for the cable car, as you get nearer, there are 2 kiosk shops selling them. DONT buy from there.... They add an agent's fee. Instead just walk up to the cable car entrance and buy from there at the proper price.

Like the walls, the cable car is not cheap (IMHO) but glad I did it.

IMG_20210923_122538.thumb.jpg.29ae058bac7a9157f080c76e9a363bc3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1