Alaska - ArriveCAN requirement

Hello.

It looks like the Alaska sailings for Carnival ships make a 4 hour stop in Victoria, Canada.  I understand this is a requirement to stop in a foreign port.

Do you know if passengers need to complete any special paperwork for the Carnival Alaska cruises?  Do we need to complete the ArrriveCan app requirements even if we do not disembark? 

I do see on the Carnival webpage for the Have Fun, Be Safe protocols it states that your covid test must be taken within 2 days (not 3 days) for vaccinated passengers going to Alaska.

Thanks!

other cruise lines do require the arrivecan and they checked it  at the terminal. carnival will mostly be the same since it is a canada government thing

everyone needs to complete it

• Thanks 1

On cruises to Alaska stopping in Canada there seems to be new requirement to down load a form from Canada and fill out Vaccine, testing results  so many hours before sailing. Do I need to do the new requirement fill out the Canada form if I don't get off the ship in Canada?

According to an individual on this board who works as a check in agent here in Seattle, all passengers boarding the ship in Seattle AND the ship has a port stop in Canada, IS required to show the completed ArriveCAN app. Even if you don't plan to get off the ship.

In order to board the ship you must register with the Canadian gov't app, ArriveCan.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Who needs to use ArriveCAN

All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need.

Yes, ArriveCan is required of all cruise passenger whose ship will stop in Canada. The QR code from the completed  ArriveCan registration will be needed in order to board your Alaska cruise.  It will be one of the first pieces of documentation that you will be asked to show upon arriving for your embarkation.  IF you do not have it completed, you will be asked to step aside, download the app, complete it and then show your QR code.  Every passenger regardless of age must be registered in ArriveCan.  One family member can register up to 8 family members.

This is a requirement from the Canadian gov't.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Yes, ArriveCan is required of all cruise passenger whose ship will stop in Canada. The QR code from the completed  ArriveCan registration will be needed in order to board your Alaska cruise.  It will be one of the first pieces of documentation that you will be asked to show upon arriving for your embarkation.  IF you do not have it completed, you will be asked to step aside, download the app, complete it and then show your QR code.  Every passenger regardless of age must be registered in ArriveCan.  One family member can register up to 8 family members.

This is a requirement from the Canadian gov't.

Does it need to be same household members or can I do both me and my travel partner?

17 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Does it need to be same household members or can I do both me and my travel partner?

If you are travelling together, you can enter both on one application.

36 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Travel partner is fine.  Great Question!

Same with different addresses.  They just want people registered, and have the ability to be able to contact them if necessary.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

I can’t get past the testing part. It looks like this means the test that was good 3 days out on Glory has to be taken 2 days out on Splendor. if I have to test 2 days out I have to do it in Seattle so it’s a big deal.

I also notice he’s using the terminology “72 hours before sailing” when he did that previously he clarified 3 days before the sailing date. 72 hours before sounds like if we leave at 4 I have to test after 4 three days prior.

23 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I can’t get past the testing part. It looks like this means the test that was good 3 days out on Glory has to be taken 2 days out on Splendor. if I have to test 2 days out I have to do it in Seattle so it’s a big deal.

I also notice he’s using the terminology “72 hours before sailing” when he did that previously he clarified 3 days before the sailing date. 72 hours before sounds like if we leave at 4 I have to test after 4 three days prior.

Are you talking about John Heald's post?  I'm confused as to what you mean. 

If you are referring to antigen testing being good for a US sailing 3 days out but only being good for a Canada sailing 2 days out, that is because it is Canada's requirement.  PCR test up to 72 hours before. 

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
  3. Previous positive molecular test result: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a positive molecular test taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before you board. Counting starts the day after your test.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

If that isn't what you meant, disregard. 

Edited by 1kaper

5 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Are you talking about John Heald's post?  I'm confused as to what you mean. 

If you are referring to antigen testing being good for a US sailing 3 days out but only being good for a Canada sailing 2 days out, that is because it is Canada's requirement.  PCR test up to 72 hours before. 

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
  3. Previous positive molecular test result: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a positive molecular test taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before you board. Counting starts the day after your test.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

If that isn't what you meant, disregard. 

Yeah talking about the post that was posted in this thread. I read the requirement. Didn’t know it was different prior to this thread though. It’s good to know since I leave in three weeks.

Edited by Saint Greg

31 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Correct, testing for cruises that stop in Canada (Alaska cruises) require testing 2 days out, not 3.

Originally that was the message from Carnival but they changed to align with Canada. 

You can test 72 hours prior if you used a PCR or NAAT test.  If you use antigen, 2 days prior. 

ArriveCan was relatively easy to use but you have to submit the info 72 hours prior to arrival in Canada.  I recently used it but due to intermittent wifi, I had to wait until I was in a port to submit it.  Once submitted you get a QR code.  No one ever asked to see it when we were in Canada.