How should I report a problem with a shore excursion?

37 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

We've had shore excursions that did not meet our expectations on a number of cruise lines, including Regent. If they're just not up to our expectations, we report that on the survey that they ask us to fill out. and give them all of the details.  If it's really bad,  where we might have felt we or others were in danger, then we've gone to the concierge desk, and reported it. They wrote it done.

Was anything done for any of these situations? We don't know. We've never received any feedback on a survey that we've filled out on a cruise (and we almost always do so).

But since your excursion did not meet your expectations, I think sharing it with Regent on their survey, and sharing it here is the best you can do.

After a completely screwed up excursion in Beijing. We sat on a bus for about 8 hours never got to the Great Wall and with many crew at our hotel never heard a sorry or any explanation. After writing directly to regent with nary a response I put a charge in disputes with Amex. This forced regent to respond and I got a copy of the response. No refund because the tour and overnight were “free”. Of course not true as the costs were built into the cruise fare   Had Amex resubmit the dispute and regent failed to respond so the dispute was resolved in our favor. 

more than on way to skin a cat. 

• Thanks 1

I was on the recent TA cruise the Splendor.  While the dining and housekeeping staff were great- friendly, polite, helpful- I found the Reception, Destination Services and Entertainment (CD, Asst CD and Hostess) lacking.   My limited interaction with them was frustrating as they all came across as very green and unable to answer basic questions.  Very different from prior Regent cruises.

The excursions offered in Palma didn’t interest me, so I stopped by Dest Services 48 hrs before we arrived in Palma to see if there would be shuttles provided.  The reply was deer in headlights. I took that as a no and signed up for a tour.  Nothing was ever mentioned about shuttles in the daily Passages for Palma.  So I imagine my surprise when the tour guide mentioned that if we wanted to stay in town longer than the stated tour end time, we could just catch the shuttle back to the ship.  What?  I didn’t need or want the hour-long stop at the Pearl shop (all tours made that stop so it couldn’t have been avoided), and would have preferred to spend my time exploring on my own using the shuttle had I known about it.  I’m still waiting for my post-cruise survey (in addition to the survey we filled out prior to disembarkation). Hope you get your money back from your misrepresented excursion. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rallydave said:

After a completely screwed up excursion in Beijing. We sat on a bus for about 8 hours never got to the Great Wall and with many crew at our hotel never heard a sorry or any explanation. After writing directly to regent with nary a response I put a charge in disputes with Amex. This forced regent to respond and I got a copy of the response. No refund because the tour and overnight were “free”. Of course not true as the costs were built into the cruise fare   Had Amex resubmit the dispute and regent failed to respond so the dispute was resolved in our favor. 

more than on way to skin a cat. 

Good thinking Dave.

I think rallydave's suggestion is definitely the way to go - submit a chargeback on the credit card you paid with with as the service you received was not as described (although if you paid with cruise credit might be a tad more complex). Good luck.

11 hours ago, Pathfinder88 said:

I’m still waiting for my post-cruise survey (in addition to the survey we filled out prior to disembarkation). Hope you get your money back from your misrepresented excursion. 

Has the survey/comments card schedule changed?

Our last Regent cruise was Pre-COVID and we got a comment card survey midcruise and a final survey to be completed before you left the ship.

It is my understanding the midcruise comment card stays on the ship.  And it is from these comments that I have received feedback.  The end of cruise survey is electronic and probably goes to home office.

Is there also a post cruise survey?

I think that *overall* Regent does a good job with their excursions, both included and extra cost.  But like any bell curve, there will be both diamonds and (pardon the indelicacy) turds.  The vast majority of our shore excursions have been good, some very good, but we've also had our share of D&Ts.  Whever we encounter these anomalies we let Destination Services know, both good and bad.  

Maybe I'm too laid back but I don't expect everything in my life to be perfect.  And when things aren't perfect, I let the people in charge know.  Might not help me but it might help the next poor sap in line.  🙂

And yeah, it's a bit different when it's a paid excursion.  I think we've had one or two that didn't live up to expectations.  We let DS know we weren't happy - and went on with the cruise.  I'm not gonna let a bad $100 ruin a $20,000 vacation.  Life's too short to be bitter, IMO.

Of course, another choice would be to sail with a line that doesn't include excursions so you can book your own.  But you know what?  I bet you'll find the same percentage of good, diamond, and turd you get if they're included in your cruise fare.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As to when comment cards come out, we just got off. Our mid-cruise card came out on day 2, I refused to answer it until the actual "mid-cruise". Interestingly we were contacted about a comment we made about the issues with tenders. End of cruise comments were first asked for about 3 days prior to the end of the cruise. They have the link listed in the daily passages. 

On 5/2/2022 at 6:10 PM, Pudgesmom said:

We've recently returned from a TA on the Splendor. We only took a single excursion, for which we paid $89 apiece. It was described as a dressage performance of Andalusian and Lipizzaner horses, plus a snack and a taste of wine.

For future reference what was the port and excursion code with which you had the less than stellar experience?

Was it CRN013 in Cartagena, Spain which looks like the one you describe? If so I will either avoid booking it or will check the details carefully in advance with Destination Services. 

I know the Splendor TA ended around Easter. Did that have any influence on what the tour operator offered? Not that it should excuse not experiencing what you paid for. You should have been warned of any changes in advance & given the option to cancel.

I would certainly push Regent guest relations for a response to your feedback. You could try contacting @Jennefer Teegen (jteegen@rssc.com)  who has previously helped with guest issues reported on this Board.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 6:03 PM, rallydave said:

After a completely screwed up excursion in Beijing. We sat on a bus for about 8 hours never got to the Great Wall and with many crew at our hotel never heard a sorry or any explanation. 

Sounds like the Navigator, October 2010. We joined that cruise that evening. Have never seen, and hope to never see, a more upset group of people in my life. 
Luckily we had a private from Beijing that saw the wall VERY early in the morning. That was National Week in China and literally millions of Chinese were everywhere. 

When Regent went All Inclusive, we started cruising with Oceania because we wanted to tour on our own.  We sailed another line for a while and are going back to try Regent and pay the premium on a cruise we will probably not avail ourselves of many (if any) tours. All tours from all lines are contracted pretty much by the same port side service companies with some customized for the line. 

What is somewhat surprising is the lack of response by a luxury cruise line when a tour was misrepresented.  That speaks volumes to me.

22 hours ago, flossie009 said:

For future reference what was the port and excursion code with which you had the less than stellar experience?

Was it CRN013 in Cartagena, Spain which looks like the one you describe? If so I will either avoid booking it or will check the details carefully in advance with Destination Services. 

I know the Splendor TA ended around Easter. Did that have any influence on what the tour operator offered? Not that it should excuse not experiencing what you paid for. You should have been warned of any changes in advance & given the option to cancel.

I would certainly push Regent guest relations for a response to your feedback. You could try contacting @Jennefer Teegen (jteegen@rssc.com)  who has previously helped with guest issues reported on this Board.

Flossie, indeed it was ON Easter. The family wanted to host the tour even though they were having a family celebration there that day. Nothing was mentioned about the tour content being changed.

I went with no pre-expectations other than to see the horses, which we had enjoyed seeing in Vienna training. Pudge, however, with her horse knowledge knew what she was expecting. I actually enjoyed the excursion for what it was. Not sure it was worth an upcharge, and certainly two buses of participants was too many. Should have been divided into two excursions, morning and afternoon, but here again the issue of Easter celebration might have come into play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:59 AM, flossie009 said:

I no longer have a record of the ID for the excursion, sorry. It was described as a dressage horse show of Andalusian and Lippazaner horses. The name was “Horses and Flavors of Cartagena.”

Maybe the best way to describe it would be if in America, a rodeo was offered but instead of that, guests received a line dancing demo while looking at horses in a field. Not just a little off, which we would have been fine with, but WAAAY off. 

I have emailed, and if I get a response will report it here.

Edited by Pudgesmom

CRN-013 Horses and Flavors of Cartagena (Binoculars and two walking guys)

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Lunch is not included in this tour, only tastings of local appetizers. Participants must be at least 18 years of age to consume alcohol.

Drive to a local horse finca - a traditional Spanish farm (approx. 15 min.). Show with Lipizzaner and Andalusian horses and tasting of local produce (approx. 2hrs15min). Panoramic tour of Cartagena (approx. 30 min). Drive back to the pier (approx. 15min).