Testing eliminated (?) during your 14+ day cruise

StrawberryHill

8 minutes ago, caribill said:

We almost stopped flu the last two flu seasons. (see https://www.cdc.gov/flu/season/faq-flu-season-2020-2021.htm ) 

Why? Because the same precautions we are doing for Covid also worked extremely well for flu prevention: wear masks (because of Covid) and get the flu vaccine.

Caribill is 100% correct! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, caribill said:

That may not be a good indication for the current Regal cruise.

On another thread about Alaska cruises ending in Canada, posters said that Princess sent them notices that passengers would be responsible for scheduling the test themselves with options suggested to test at the Vancouver airport, to test at a site near the Vancouver Cruise Terminal or doing a self-test monitored over the internet while still on the ship. However those on the then current voyage still had testing done by Princess on board the day before Vancouver.

So the current Regal cruise may follow the old "rules" while the next Regal cruise may or may not do something different.

True. Protocols seem to be changing quite often as of late. Thank goodness we don’t cruise until July. Since the Regal is already in the Med, that’s pretty much the ship and associated Roll Calls and Live From threads we’ll be following from now until then. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 2:24 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! What’s interesting is that we didn’t book multiple cruises, back-to-back, but rather a continuous 21 day cruise RT Barcelona. That’s why we continue to ask folks on similar types of extended “single booking” Med cruises what their actually experiencing. 

Will I be able to book multiple cruises, back-to-back?

Yes, back-to-back bookings will be available for vaccinated guests, subject to availability.

Guests on back-to-back voyages will need to disembark the ship at the end of each voyage and receive a complimentary viral COVID-19 test. They will be permitted to board the ship again once they receive a negative test result.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding on the next voyage, together with their family members and close contacts who are not fully vaccinated. Guests, their family members, travel companions or other close contacts who are suspected of having COVID-19, are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

We will closely monitor guidance from government and health authorities and will adapt and evolve this policy accordingly.

Ken , we booked our 14 day cruise as 1 cruise But Princess treated it as a B2B and tested us mid cruise.  My husband is still asymptomatic and still in Quarantine.  He will be tested tomorrow, hoping he is negative🤞  I tested negative and have been tested twice since last Friday and am still negative.  We have had four vaccines and do mask onboard and on transportation and still he caught it, very contagious virus. 
Many folks onboard are not wearing masks..  I wonder how many will be positive during testing at the end of this cruise.  Wishing safe travels to all. 

Teri (tsj)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

True. Protocols seem to be changing quite often as of late. Thank goodness we don’t cruise until July. Since the Regal is already in the Med, that’s pretty much the ship and associated Roll Calls and Live From threads we’ll be following from now until then. 

We were told that if we had a flight to the US same day we leave the ship, they will test us the day before we leave the ship.  Of course things are changing all the time. 
That is the policy today on the Regal.

Teri (tsj)

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, tsj said:

Many folks onboard are not wearing masks..

I assume that no one will be wearing masks in the restaurants and bars, so mask wearing elsewhere is pretty superfluous.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I assume that no one will be wearing masks in the restaurants and bars, so mask wearing elsewhere is pretty superfluous.

Masking in elevators is recommended, as well as other places onboard. I consider it a good choice for myself and a courtesy to others.  My husband was and is asymptomatic.  This does not mean  he cannot spread it to someone  that will not fare as well as he has.  I was asked about experience on the Regal.  I am not here to debate.

Teri

• Like 7

4 hours ago, tsj said:

Ken , we booked our 14 day cruise as 1 cruise But Princess treated it as a B2B and tested us mid cruise.  My husband is still asymptomatic and still in Quarantine.  He will be tested tomorrow, hoping he is negative🤞  I tested negative and have been tested twice since last Friday and am still negative.  We have had four vaccines and do mask onboard and on transportation and still he caught it, very contagious virus. 
Many folks onboard are not wearing masks..  I wonder how many will be positive during testing at the end of this cruise.  Wishing safe travels to all. 

Teri (tsj)

Good luck to you both,  We went through it on the Ruby in March/April and the isolation chamber was horrific. (I have no other words for it)  Mask wearing was rare and the number of people that went home with covid was unacceptable in my opinion.  Princess needs to have better and more frequent  communication, more feedback into cases on board and more protocols around large groups to protect people.  These things seemed non-existent to us while on board and lots of unsuspecting people thought there were no cases on board.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand why testing is happening before arrival in Athens when the Greeks dropped all of their entry restrictions in early May (https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/greece-has-officially-removed-all-covid-19-entry-rules/). I hope this changes before we get there in mid July. It really seems like the cruise industry is the last place where testing is really even happening any more.

On 5/17/2022 at 9:00 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

What I found interesting was that I could have sworn it was just a few days ago, Princess was tacking on a $60 charge for the antigen test if you needed one to fly back to your home country the same day.

Perhaps you were thinking of the antigen test needed to Embark the ship in some places like Southampton? That is still listed as $60.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/uk-southampton-cruises/?accordion=covid-test-prior-to-boarding

• Thanks 1

Princess states over and over that the health and safety of its guests and crew are their highest priority....if that were true they would REQUIRE masks in elevators at minimum.  They do not, only recommend which means NOTHING.  I got off the elevators on emerald at least 5-10 ties per day when the door opened and in come several no mask folks blabbing away in a small confined space with zero regard for others.  I still got covid and ended up in quarantine.

For those who have yet to get covid and have your vacation ruined you might feel differently when YOU get covid.  The emerald took 7 busloads of positive folks off the ship in southampton on May 1.....the aloha deck was full of quarantined people. Many people had to be further quarantined on land  and tested and had flights to usa delayed until they tested negative.  LOT OF STRESS not knowing when you can fly and holding your breath that you won't continue to test positive for a week or so.

While more mask wearing  and hand washing and social distance won't eliminate covid transmission it will very likely reduce it.  Is it really that big a deal to just wear the mask especially on elevators and in theatres etc if you can help prevent ruining your or others vacations?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dockman said:

Princess states over and over that the health and safety of its guests and crew are their highest priority....if that were true they would REQUIRE masks in elevators at minimum.  They do not, only recommend which means NOTHING.  I got off the elevators on emerald at least 5-10 ties per day when the door opened and in come several no mask folks blabbing away in a small confined space with zero regard for others.  I still got covid and ended up in quarantine.

For those who have yet to get covid and have your vacation ruined you might feel differently when YOU get covid.  The emerald took 7 busloads of positive folks off the ship in southampton on May 1.....the aloha deck was full of quarantined people. Many people had to be further quarantined on land  and tested and had flights to usa delayed until they tested negative.  LOT OF STRESS not knowing when you can fly and holding your breath that you won't continue to test positive for a week or so.

While more mask wearing  and hand washing and social distance won't eliminate covid transmission it will very likely reduce it.  Is it really that big a deal to just wear the mask especially on elevators and in theatres etc if you can help prevent ruining your or others vacations?

Totally agree with you!!!  It’s not that hard

to protect yourself and others just by wearing a mask in crowded areas and the elevator.

I hope you are doing well now.  Take care

2 hours ago, dockman said:

Princess states over and over that the health and safety of its guests and crew are their highest priority....if that were true they would REQUIRE masks in elevators at minimum.  They do not, only recommend which means NOTHING.

It is obvious that Princess does not care and just gives lip service to a serous public health condition.  They are the problem and not the solution for so many passengers getting sick on their cruises and it almost is abusive.

It seems sometimes on CC people are more concerned about what people wear to the MDR then what they should be wearing and doing to stop a contagion.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

It is obvious that Princess does not care and just gives lip service to a serous public health condition.  They are the problem and not the solution for so many passengers getting sick on their cruises and it almost is abusive.

It seems sometimes on CC people are more concerned about what people wear to the MDR then what they should be wearing and doing to stop a contagion.

You will never stop Covid on cruise ships as long as people eat and drink in close proximity to one another without a mask.    A 30 second ride in an elevator is probably safer than eating for 1 1/2 hours next to someone where both parties are unmasked.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 10:55 PM, rdsqrl said:

I'm mystified as why people think this is good news.  I for one would prefer to know that anybody around me (including me) who had developed covid was removed from circulation so that they couldn't spread it.  Of course nobody wants to be quarantined, but the sheer selfishness of not even wanting to be tested is breathtaking. 

You are entitled to your opinion.  I don't see this as any different than going about your business at home and you obviously don't know status of folks around you.  I live in an apartment building, not a lot different that a cruise ship.   I favor less testing, test if people have symptoms only.  People can test themselves.  I plan to take self tests with me on my next cruise.  Since most people with symptoms present with a cold symptoms, if I get such symptoms with test myself first before reporting to medical.  We need to use common sense and learn to live with this health issue. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

Amen! 

5 hours ago, dockman said:

If you feel that way, get off the elevator when these folks get on.  My DH has dementia, I try to use elevators when less crowded as a result.  He does not do well around strangers; we get off if necessary to avoid problems.  Would do the same ref covid.   

32 minutes ago, pris993 said:

If you feel that way, get off the elevator when these folks get on.  My DH has dementia, I try to use elevators when less crowded as a result.  He does not do well around strangers; we get off if necessary to avoid problems.  Would do the same ref covid.   

I got off the elevators on emerald at least 5-10 ties per day when the door opened and in come several no mask folks blabbing away in a small confined space with zero regard for others. 

• Thanks 1

While on the Regal last month (or was it the month before 🙂 ) when mask mandates were reduced but still suggested, on elevators-I also found myself getting out when large groups of non-masked people, got on. Yes I know the mask is of little good but darn, folks are sure inconsiderate 😞 

Just a quick update.  My husband was released from Quarantine on Thursday.  He received a letter of recovery from Princess.  I was offered a test on Friday as we were flying home immediately after disembarking.  I am negative.  We were under the impression that we were fit to fly.  When we uploaded our documents to the airline we were informed you cannot fly even with a letter until the 11th day after a positive test.  We spent our sea day scrambling to switch flights and find accommodations.  We are in limbo between being sent to quarantine and being able to go home.  We have been unable to get definitive answers on the ship about what is covered. I will of course  call Princess administration as soon as they open today.  Rebooking flights and hotels is expensive at the last minute.  I am hopeful that between cruise with confidence and our travel insurance we will be covered.  I would be grateful to anyone that might be able to share their experiences with me.

Teri

5 hours ago, tsj said:

Just a quick update.  My husband was released from Quarantine on Thursday.  He received a letter of recovery from Princess.  I was offered a test on Friday as we were flying home immediately after disembarking.  I am negative.  We were under the impression that we were fit to fly.  When we uploaded our documents to the airline we were informed you cannot fly even with a letter until the 11th day after a positive test.  We spent our sea day scrambling to switch flights and find accommodations.  We are in limbo between being sent to quarantine and being able to go home.  We have been unable to get definitive answers on the ship about what is covered. I will of course  call Princess administration as soon as they open today.  Rebooking flights and hotels is expensive at the last minute.  I am hopeful that between cruise with confidence and our travel insurance we will be covered.  I would be grateful to anyone that might be able to share their experiences with me.

Teri

What airport are you flying out of?  What airline?

This is a trip interruption and covid related, it should be covered by your insurance.  I would check with Princess also to see how to get reimbursed. 
Let us know what happens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tsj said:

Teri

I checked in with fit to fly letter from princess med staff on may 10 at heathrow...my positive test was on May 2 or 3 ..the american airline agent first hassled me over it but i pointed out that it said i was fit to fly on may 10 and it was indeed may 10....after discussion with supervisor i was allowed to board....needless to say stressful times standing at airline counter not sure if you get on or not....good luck to you..not a fun way to end a vacation.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses!  Contacted Princess and they will cover costs.  As I mentioned we also have travel insurance, so we will likely be fine.  My concern now is that I continue to test negative in order to fly!

Dockman,  Wow I wish we could have flown home today.  I uploaded his documents on the Airlines App and we were  denied.  As for arguing, I might be tempted, but our Daughter is a flight Attendant for the same airline and we often fly on her benefits 😳

Just relieved it looks as if we will be reimbursed.

Thanks again.

Teri

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

@Tak8just posted from the CB on transition day there were about 500 passengers continuing on the 2nd leg of their Caribbean cruise and did not have to pass an antigen test to reboard the ship. Yay!! Hope this trend continues!

This is the new strategy don't test don't have a problem.

The transatlantic showed the situation was out of control.

If a port decides it wants a fully tested ship I suspect they will cancel rather than test.

NCL Dawn got caught when Netherlands insisted on tests missed the next 2 dies to covid cases.

Seems Greece are doing the same for Regal be interesting what the numbers look like.

We were happy with dining arrangements on Sky in April the tables being used were far enough apart to be acceptable risk.

The return of protocols sorted out the mess of the TA.

• Like 2