A report from the first Zaandam sailing in 790 days.

Ready2go11

14 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

…I don’t understand the whole crew shortage thing.  Unless they have a lot of crew testing positive when they come to join the ship why are they short?…

It is a bit puzzling. I know some sailings vary with how many passengers are onboard, but I’ve wondered about the shortage, as well. If I was planning on eating in the MDR, that would be unsettling to find it closed, especially during this season.

As far as testing, Zaandam was “Green” as of 5/9 through 5/12, so it would appear the shortage wasn’t due to positive cases, at least at embarkation (unless they were no longer onboard). CDC will release data from 5/13 on Monday.

All the Best!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, syesmar said:

It is a bit puzzling. I know some sailings vary with how many passengers are onboard, but I’ve wondered about the shortage, as well. If I was planning on eating in the MDR, that would be unsettling to find it closed, especially during this season.

As far as testing, Zaandam was “Green” as of 5/9 through 5/12, so it would appear the shortage wasn’t due to positive cases, at least at embarkation (unless they were no longer onboard). CDC will release data from 5/13 on Monday.

All the Best!

Just a little clarification on my post because I didn’t explain very well.  If they are short of crew I’m wondering if some are testing positive just before they step on the plane (or the day before)therefore delaying their transit to the ship.

to catch up on Day 1 and 2…

We ate in the main dining room on the first night for dinner at 6pm.  The food was well presented and, in my opinion, to Holland America standards. Service was slow and ordering a bar drink was an endeavor but it was the first night of service in 2+ years so really not bad at all. We both had pork chops with huckleberry jam. 

After dinner we went to the HAL 150 years show narrated by Cruise Director Ian. If you are a HAL loyalist it is a can’t miss. Ian was a great host and I learned a little about a lot of things 

Last night we also ate in the main dining room for dinner (7:30) on dressy night. They had the special menu on silver paper. Nice choices and our food was delicious. My sister and I ordered the mushroom risotto and the filet and shared. Both were very good. Bar service was improved as well as table service, and the meal took about 20 minutes less than the first night.   

The show last night was One Step Dance Humanity, and we elected instead to walk around for a bit and then read before sleep. So, i cannot comment on that but have heard several others say it was very good. 

We had a Pinnacle reservation set for Day 7 but noticed on the app that it was changed. When we inquired, they said the Pinnacle was closed that night and they rescheduled us to tonight. We also noticed that the Canaletto is only open on 3 nights. Could be that the Pinnacle is reserved for some reason. 

The staff has been almost universally friendly and welcoming. It seems many of them are not rusty from being off, but are new to cruise ships altogether. The friendly attitude helps as they want to learn. As always, the more you put into getting to know the crew and appreciating the service they provide, the better service you receive.

The bar staff in particular need more training. On Day 1 we ordered drinks that were missing one or more ingredients. If I did not have the drink package, I would have been more unhappy about it. We have provided feedback in the app as we have gone along, both good and bad while it is fresh in our minds. 

We have also ordered coffees each morning at the Explorations Cafe. Lots of choices and everything ordered was very good. 

Classical duo confirmed to be joining in Boston, at 2 sets per evening. At the coffee talk with Ian this morning, they noted the piano player was sea sick last night, and the classical duo was delayed due to “family and visa issues.”

At the coffee talk, Erica, the media manager,  joined and talked about how the Where and When is put together. She also mentioned that we are on the smallest ship of the fleet, but have the most passengers this week at just over 1,000. 

They noted the partnerships with Microsoft and America’s Test Kitchen ended, but starting with the Zuiderdam dry dock this December the Microsoft Studio would be turned into a full library and reading room on the larger ships. 

No matter the issues, we are grateful to be on board again. The Zaandam is an older ship and creaks a little more than I am used to but it is freshly painted and newly refurbished. The mild inconveniences on HAL are still a better experience than the other lines I have sailed with.  

We have been moving pretty fast, at night getting to 26-27 knots to make it to Boston on time tomorrow morning. Even during day, we have been averaging around 20-21 knots. 

Sharing photos below of the ocean bar where the band plays,  the mix lounge that has 2 bars and several seating areas, and the explorations lounge where there are talks, music and games. Please forgive typos as I am typing on a small screen. 7ABCC985-27CE-4789-A4C0-3BD9D433DBDA.thumb.jpeg.befc648023d2e9826898f04ad4244b30.jpegg

F4B75939-1255-4D73-B107-1BC328FCCB27.jpeg

98469FF0-6739-417F-9EF0-ACBABB7804EA.jpeg

49FCDCA5-2F96-4D0C-8761-03F1E38035AE.jpeg

9E0B74B7-CC5D-4ACB-8596-59B857EDD7F4.jpeg

76A9EE2F-6AE9-441C-95F8-D5FF6E351335.jpeg

B31E198B-2E03-4D60-9D92-9CB4AC75CCAB.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

That top speed of 26 knots seemed rather high to me so I looked up this information from a Holland America fact sheet.

FAST FACT SHEET — ms ZAANDAM Gross Tonnage: 61,396 grt.(One registered ton equals 100 cubic feet) Length: 780 feet Beam: 105.8 feet Maximum speed: 23 knots (maximum) Ship’s Registry: The Netherlands Passenger capacity: 1,432 Crew: 607 Dedicated: May 2000 by actresses Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen

Maybe it just feels faster.  LOL😄

• Haha 1

On a positive note from the Zaandam, dinner last night went better. The service seemed less frantic. The ships public areas feel refreshed and there appears to be lots of new carpet (including  the shedding that comes with new wool carpet). The singer/piano player in Mix is really fantastic. She will be on board for several months. There were no flower arrangements when we boarded, but they have now appeared around the ship and are really very nice.  I appreciate that HAL still does this. 

The dining room being closed for lunch and only open for breakfast on sea days was a really bad decision for this ship given the number of passengers on board. Tomorrow is the first port so no dining room breakfast. We will see how that goes. I’m sure that the ship’s management is getting an earful about it. 

I think the Mix concept is great and really the best for a ship this size. It feels so much more classy than Billboard in my opinion. I do like the Music Walk, but for this ship Mix is great. 559C368F-696C-456F-A74F-A971D91AFA63.thumb.jpeg.0b856f5e5241ddbde4881d4aa5fe55fa.jpegE51753EB-AFAC-481F-BC7E-F4806ACDBB89.thumb.jpeg.8d28b7327680faec59cae56cc4964b52.jpeg95FC6346-3E7B-42EB-BBA8-E31AADC1665C.thumb.jpeg.ae26ba324df89acf44f939601b7bee2b.jpeg

23EC5C2B-F37F-488B-9BC4-A53A0B89A48A.jpeg

B0884D0C-B538-45A9-A555-96EFFA40A9BC.jpeg

Edited by seatrial
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

The old saying goes, if you book a cruise just out of dry dock you have to be prepared for some glitches. Especially after this extended "drydock".  Pretty happy to hear that the old Microsoft Labs on the bigger ships will be turned into libraries.  Pretty sure HAL heard us about the library!   

• Like 2

The Zaandam did exceed 25 knots. The captain said it was like a Lamborghini on the sea. We were helped out by a strong current. According to the captain, we have to slow to 10 knots at some point for 70-80 miles due to whales that are hit by ships in an area near Boston. We needed this speed to allow for a time of slow speed. 

They played the ship’s pipe organ in the atrium yesterday. It seemed to be working. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, seatrial said:

The singer/piano player in Mix is really fantastic. She will be on board for several months. There were no flower arrangements when we boarded, but they have now appeared around the ship and are really very nice.  I appreciate that HAL still does this. 

I believe that the signer/player is Clara Vee. She was performing on the Koningsdam a few months ago when we went to Mexico. She is fabulous. Her father was on that cruise and we got to talk to him some and he told us which of her original songs to request. We did one evening and she looked at our table and then a few tables away to where her family was sitting and said, 'you've been talking to my dad.' 

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Club orange members do not get breakfast in the pinnacle grill.

Neptune Suite occupants used to get PG for breakfast.

Edited by semibeater
Lost my response

6 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Club orange members do not get breakfast in the pinnacle grill.

If the dining room was closed for breakfast, I hope CO was allowed to eat breakfast in the Pinnacle.  After all, CO benefits include a sit down, served breakfast on ships that have a CO dining room.  If you pay extra for CO you are entitled to the perks of CO or equivalent.  

• Like 2

I’m a little surprised by the expectations for a ship on its first voyage after being layed up for more than two years. Ships don’t do well when they just sit. Things rust, seize, develop odours, etc. It’s to be expected.

As a former marine worker,  I never wanted to work / travel on a vessel on its first trip back in service. It will take a trip or two for the ship and her crew to get the bugs out and function properly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

If the dining room was closed for breakfast, I hope CO was allowed to eat breakfast in the Pinnacle.  After all, CO benefits include a sit down, served breakfast on ships that have a CO dining room.  If you pay extra for CO you are entitled to the perks of CO or equivalent.  

I’m a person that buys club orange so of course I’d like to see that but I’d be shocked if it happened.  If the op could find out about that it would be wonderful.  I’m pretty sure some people in Neptune suites would not be happy with that little nugget if true.

• Like 2

Thanks for the updates!  😀. The Ship looks great and very happy that She still has the Mix and Music in Ocean Bar.  Very much looking forward to our B2B end of August and sailing again on Zaandam!  

Edited by idiebabe
  • Like 1

Give Zaandam some time. Staffing is an issue everywhere; not just cruise ships. Crew has to quarantine 10 days after reporting on board. They get tested frequently, if not daily. I think we’ve eaten in the Pinnacle once or twice for lunch. Not eating in the dining room for breakfast doesn’t ruin my day. Besides, with lots of tours upcoming on VOV, we don’t have the time to linger 90 minutes over breakfast. 

TV doesn’t look that bad. My Kindle is loaded & all I want is some access to news. The Navigator App will get me thru our days on board. We also walk around the Promanade 1-2X a day to prevent weight gain. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, WFBgal said:

Give Zaandam some time. Staffing is an issue everywhere; not just cruise ships. Crew has to quarantine 10 days after reporting on board. They get tested frequently, if not daily. I think we’ve eaten in the Pinnacle once or twice for lunch. Not eating in the dining room for breakfast doesn’t ruin my day. Besides, with lots of tours upcoming on VOV, we don’t have the time to linger 90 minutes over breakfast. 

TV doesn’t look that bad. My Kindle is loaded & all I want is some access to news. The Navigator App will get me thru our days on board. We also walk around the Promanade 1-2X a day to prevent weight gain. Enjoy your cruise.

Unless things have changed since March staff was getting tested weekly for covid.  While it may not effect you to not have breakfast in the mdr some have mobility issues.  Everyone will feel it with additional bodies in the cafeteria.

• Like 1

For people with difficulty getting around, they could rent a small scooter. I saw plenty of smaller ones on N Stantendam in Feb-March. Staff in Lido always willing to help those on scooters with taking plates to tables.