Cafe Promenade (& Pizza) Menu? - Mariner of the Seas

My 84 year old mother announced today that she does not think she can handle tackling the Windjammer buffet on boarding day.  We know we could pay for Jamie’s Italian Kitchen boarding day lunch, but would certainly prefer an included complimentary option.  It looks like Cafe Promenade sandwiches & pizza might be an option, but when I search for a menu, I can only find the specialty coffees.  Can anyone tell me what food options are available at Mariner’s Cafe Promenade?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

That’s way too vague to determine if there are items everyone will (or can) eat.  

Well, I have good news and bad news: the good news is that there is more than just sandwiches and pizza, but the bad news is that there isn't really a fixed menu and the selections vary from day to day.

In all likelihood, you would see 2-3 varieties of pizza and 2-3 different sandwiches, along with some sides such as grilled veggies, fruit etc.  Plus a couple of desserts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

That’s way too vague to determine if there are items everyone will (or can) eat.  

The sandwiches are not set in stone - they may have different ones at different times. The pizza offerings are somewhat more regular. You can swing by there upon embarkation and if you don’t like it then tackle the WJ. 

Or, if that (tackling crowds) is really an issue, get something off the ship and board later. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

They will have the sandwiches of the day, some fruits, and the pizzas of the day. The only guarantee is a cheese pizza. 

Take mom to the windjammer. Set her down at a table. Quickly fetch her some food. All will be good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses.  There will be thirteen of us, ages 6 - 84.  Cheese pizza will work for the kids; glad to know it isn’t just fancy gourmet stuff they would not eat.  Certainly the non-pizza eating adults can find a sandwich and some fruit to tide them over before our early dinner seating.

The cafe has hot dogs, pizza, sandwiches of different types, sweets, etc so I would think you mother could find something to eat but I think your bigger problem is the cafe is not very big and even with overflow into outside area you will have a very hard time seating 13 even split up.  

Edited by volk904
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

They will have the sandwiches of the day, some fruits, and the pizzas of the day. The only guarantee is a cheese pizza. 

Take mom to the windjammer. Set her down at a table. Quickly fetch her some food. All will be good. 

I think that's how I'd approach it. Leave mom and maybe some younger kids at a table, grab food for all, then go back and grab your own. 

8 hours ago, volk904 said:

The cafe has hot dogs, pizza, sandwiches of different types, sweets, etc so I would think you mother could find something to eat but I think your bigger problem is the cafe is not very big and even with overflow into outside area you will have a very hard time seating 13 even split up.  

I haven't been on Mariner for a while now but I've never seen hot dogs at the Cafe Promenade on any ship. Maybe I just didn't notice.

57 minutes ago, mspink98 said:

I think that's how I'd approach it. Leave mom and maybe some younger kids at a table, grab food for all, then go back and grab your own. 

Agree.

I'm not sure the OP realizes Cafe Promenade isn't really a restaurant/cafe. There are small tables but it's more of a "grab a snack" place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Fancy gourmet😄😄😄. Definitely does not describe Royal pizza!!  More along the lines of frozen boxed.

I have had frozen pizza better than the stuff at Sorento's/Cafe Promenade.  Personally, I think it is made to appeal to children and most adults will have an opinion varying from "it's o.k." to "this is just awful".

4 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

I have had frozen pizza better than the stuff at Sorento's/Cafe Promenade.  Personally, I think it is made to appeal to children and most adults will have an opinion varying from "it's o.k." to "this is just awful".

It improves dramatically around 1 AM after the consumption of several alcohol laden drinks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

Its quality has varied greatly from one cruise to another IMO, I've enjoyed it on some and found it inedible on others... but I'm not overly picky when it comes to food.

13 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You already listed them - pizza and sandwiches. 

And salads.  When I sailed on the Mariner in December, in the afternoon my snack consisted or 2 pieces of veggie pizza and a dish of olives salad.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It improves dramatically around 1 AM after the consumption of several alcohol laden drinks.

It isn't bad if you eat it as soon as it comes out of the oven.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Agree.

I'm not sure the OP realizes Cafe Promenade isn't really a restaurant/cafe. There are small tables but it's more of a "grab a snack" place.

I’m the OP, and you are correct, I expected a place called Cafe Promenade to be an actual restaurant/cafe.  This will be our first RCCL cruise, so I’m learning.

2 hours ago, poocher said:

Fancy gourmet😄😄😄. Definitely does not describe Royal pizza!!  More along the lines of frozen boxed.

The 13 year olds and younger will be perfectly fine with a frozen boxed pizza flavor.  I guess that’s what I was hoping they might find.  I know it won’t work if they are all herb truffle sauce with Gorgonzola & feta pizzas, for instance.

Edited by MississippiMom
  • Haha 1

It will be absolutely edible for them.  It’s just not like good pizzeria pizza.  Cheese, pepperoni, veggie, meat are typical offerings.  There’s sometimes a LITTLE fancier one but nothing too far out there.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

One thing to mention about the sandwiches is that they are (as I recall)  _small_. Of course,  you can have as many as you want, as long as they don't run out. 🙂 (That would probably be just until they can bring some more out/make some more.) It's also a way to have a variety or to try something to see if you like it and then go back for more of your favorite. 

As mentioned above, the Café can be seen as more of a quick snack spot, but you can definitely eat your fill.

Mariner now also has a Dog House (pretty much just a variety of hot dogs) on the same deck as the Windjammer.  Probably not lots of tables right there, but there are places scattered about on that deck. This may be another possibility to tide your group over until dinner.

Hope this helps,

M.

Edited by mirgloin
  • Thanks 1