Panama Canal Excursion

My husband and I are going on a 10 night western Caribbean cruise that has a stop at Colon, Panama.  We booked it while we were on a cruise.  The agent told us there was an excursion there that went through the Panama Canal.  Has anyone taken that excursion?  What did you think about?

What other excursions are there in Colon, Panama?

Thanks,

Brenda

We went on this tour in March when we were in Colon on Vision of the Seas.  I do not know if it was a common experience or not but I  have to say the logistics were frustrating.  1-1/2 hours from port to the ferry. Then we waited well over an hour for the Canal pilot to show up. By the time he arrived, the security gates had been closed so we then waited another 35 minutes or so for security to arrive and unlock the gate for the pilot. 

When we finally set off and got to the first lock, we again waited per canal rules for other ships to fill the space - in our case a container ship small enough to use the old locks. 

Then another 1-1/2 hour back to port. Due to all the delays we did not arrive back to port until more than 1 after announced all aboard time. We met the bus at 6:15 sm and did not arrive back until 5:40 pm. It was a very long day with lots of just sitting around. 

Lunch was just so-so.  Cold drinks (water, grape drink) were plentiful.

Although we were happy to experience the locks, enjoyed the engineering marvel and got some great photos we agreed we would not repeat this experience. 

it was not clear to us who was in charge of arranging the pilot (the tour co or the ferry co) but clearly some poor communication. 

I've put this in our Cruise Planner for both our cruises visiting Panama, both of which were cancelled 😞 Still waiting to decide about our third attempt at visiting Panama next January.

Talked to friends about this one and all share much the same experience as @kccrzr 

They all recommend visiting one of the landside places (one's a hotel observation deck) that lets you see LOTS of the canal and lock activity. Another is a "guided tour/narration" that was much more informational than a boat ride.

Nothing in our CP yet for next year, but I'll be looking closely at options besides the Ferry this time. We're on Radiance and there's nothing in CP yet since this is a brand new itinerary.

Edited by GJustice

orville99 -  The excursion you are planning on booking, is it through Royal?  

I looked on our reservation before I posted my questions, there are not any excursions listed yet.

7 minutes ago, camtran said:

orville99 -  The excursion you are planning on booking, is it through Royal?  

I looked on our reservation before I posted my questions, there are not any excursions listed yet.

Yes it is. Just booked this excursion for our February 22, 2023 cruise.

Ship Name:

Serenade Of The Seas

Date of Departure:

22-Feb-2023

Departing From:

Tampa, Florida

Below you will find a brief description of the items you have reserved.

DAY 6
27-Feb-2023
Colon, Panama

Wonders of Engineering: Panama Canal Locks and Culebra Cut Cruise
07:30 AM

I have visited the Canal and sailed through it twice.  I have also visited the Welland Canal locks near Niagara Falls.  I would suggest you take a tour that visits the canal to observe the workings of the canal rather than taking a ferry tour going through one of the locks.  The ferry tour will waste a lot of time as reported by another here.

32 minutes ago, kccrzr said:

Although we were happy to experience the locks, enjoyed the engineering marvel and got some great photos we agreed we would not repeat this experience. 

For us, it is a long-standing bucket list item, and regardless of the logistics, IMHO the only way to properly experience the canal is to actually be in the locks on a boat.

3 minutes ago, hancock said:

I have visited the Canal and sailed through it twice.  I have also visited the Welland Canal locks near Niagara Falls.  I would suggest you take a tour that visits the canal to observe the workings of the canal rather than taking a ferry tour going through one of the locks.  The ferry tour will waste a lot of time as reported by another here.

Grew up 90 miles away from the Welland Canal, and have driven past it too many times to count. The only time I really appreciated its grandeur was the one time I had the opportunity to actually be on board a ship going through it. There is no comparison between the two experiences. It is like the experiential difference between watching the Jet Boats take on the rapids in the Niagara river from Niagara on the Lake and actually being on the boat when it becomes completely submerged as it goes up river.

I was on an NCL cruise, but took the excursion that took the smaller passenger ferry type boat all the way through the canal to the Pacific Ocean.  I don't recommend this tour if you are the type of person that needs things to run like clockwork or someone that cannot stand idle time.  It is not for you.  There are many factors involved in determining how fast the ferry will make its pass through the canal.  The ferry is at the mercy of the timing of other ships in the canal.  Each lock must be filled up with multiple ships before it can be filled/emptied.  They don't just do one boat at a time.  There is an entire process of lining up these vessels.  Some (all?) of them need to be secured to the sides.  As discussed above, there is significant waiting time at multiple times through the trip -- 20-30-45 minutes each time.  It happens.  Be prepared for it.  This will be a very long day.  You will likely be exhausted and can't wait to get back to the ship before it is over.  Our excursion was 2 or 3 hours longer than was advertised.  I forget exactly.  We got back to the ship well after dark and well after dinnertime.  Most, if not all, of that delay was while on the ferry boat.  We had no issues with the bus or getting access to anything.  I saw no incompetence anywhere.  Just unlucky timing.

It will also very likely be hot and muggy with a good chance of some rain.  You should expect to be perspiring.  You're in a tropical rainforest location.

All that said... I loved this excursion and highly recommend it for anyone that is agreeable to these conditions and wants to see the canal up close.  It's a great opportunity for photos and videos.  It's an experience of a lifetime.  I will do it again if I ever do another Canal cruise.

But if you aren't up to the task, don't go.  For the last 2-3 hours on the ferry, there were multiple people who were doing nothing but loudly complaining and whining about how horrible it was.  And they were going to fight for a refund, etc.   They stopped watching anything going by them or around them hours before the excursion ended and just sat in their seats complaining and fanning themselves.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

We just did this excursion on our April  Vision of the Seas sailing. It was much like the previous poster said about the day. We arrived back to the ship past the all aboard time but obviously they waited for our return. We had 6 buses on this tour. With that being said, I am glad to have done the excursion but once is enough for me. Being up close to the workings of the canal was very interesting.

2 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I was on an NCL cruise, but took the excursion that took the smaller passenger ferry type boat all the way through the canal to the Pacific Ocean.  I don't recommend this tour if you are the type of person that needs things to run like clockwork or someone that cannot stand idle time.  It is not for you.  There are many factors involved in determining how fast the ferry will make its pass through the canal.  The ferry is at the mercy of the timing of other ships in the canal.  Each lock must be filled up with multiple ships before it can be filled/emptied.  They don't just do one boat at a time.  There is an entire process of lining up these vessels.  Some (all?) of them need to be secured to the sides.  As discussed above, there is significant waiting time at multiple times through the trip -- 20-30-45 minutes each time.  It happens.  Be prepared for it.  This will be a very long day.  You will likely be exhausted and can't wait to get back to the ship before it is over.  Our excursion was 2 or 3 hours longer than was advertised.  I forget exactly.  We got back to the ship well after dark and well after dinnertime.  Most, if not all, of that delay was while on the ferry boat.  We had no issues with the bus or getting access to anything.  I saw no incompetence anywhere.  Just unlucky timing.

It will also very likely be hot and muggy with a good chance of some rain.  You should expect to be perspiring.  You're in a tropical rainforest location.

All that said... I loved this excursion and highly recommend it for anyone that is agreeable to these conditions and wants to see the canal up close.  It's a great opportunity for photos and videos.  It's an experience of a lifetime.  I will do it again if I ever do another Canal cruise.

But if you aren't up to the task, don't go.  For the last 2-3 hours on the ferry, there were multiple people who were doing nothing but loudly complaining and whining about how horrible it was.  And they were going to fight for a refund, etc.   They stopped watching anything going by them or around them hours before the excursion ended and just sat in their seats complaining and fanning themselves.

This.  Exactly.  Did it several years ago just like this.  We thoroughly enjoyed it.  Definitely not for someone who is sensitive to heat or impatient.  But bucket list stuff for me.

"Spend and extra 4 to 6 days on the cruise and do a full transit east to west or west to east. Much more enjoyable and amazing"

I would love to do that, but, my husband won't go on a 15 night cruise.  I was happy he agreed to a 10 night cruise!

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Spend and extra 4 to 6 days on the cruise and do a full transit east to west or west to east. Much more enjoyable and amazing.

not everyone wants to fly. I have the radiance 10 day to colon Panama and no excursions came up yet but I was also interested.

I'm very happy going out of Galveston and that we can get to Panama out of Galveston.  I'm on the jan 10th. Only one I could fit in before John's bella cruise flying to miami for that march 2023.

Thank you rcl for giving us a few new ports.

I'd already booked carnival out of Galveston for exactly the same reason, then out of the blue rcl pops up 3 to Panama from Galveston.  So easy to do round trips I can drive to. Panama and Costa Rica and Columbia and ABC is why I booked the one carnival. Didnt know rcl would also get me there. .. nice!

Have you priced airfare? Oasis march 2023 is all the flying I want to pay for but I'm sure for you it's easy to say forget the price and do a flight to both coasts. Air fare lately you just dont know and it's one more thing to worry about. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

not everyone wants to fly. I have the radiance 10 day to colon Panama and no excursions came up yet but I was also interested.

I'm very happy going out of Galveston and that we can get to Panama out of Galveston.  I'm on the jan 10th. Only one I could fit in before John's bella cruise flying to miami for that march 2023.

I'd already booked carnival out of Galveston for exactly the same reason, then out of the blue rcl pops up 3 to Panama from Galveston.  So easy to do round trips I can drive to. Panama and Costa Rica and Columbia and ABC is why I booked the one carnival. Didnt know rcl would also get me there. .. nice!

Have you priced airfare? Oasis march 2023 is all the flying I want to pay for but I'm sure for you it's easy to say forget the price and do a flight to both coasts. Air fare lately you just dont know and it's one more thing to worry about. 

You got to do what is comfortable for you. Understand.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I thought the Radiance was finishing with a full transit which would only require one-way air? 

We just completed the repositioning on Adventure, which was originally scheduled to stop at Costa Rica, Colon and Cartagena. Just before sailing the stop at Colon was cancelled, supposedly because the channel hadn’t been dredged as promised. I don’t know if this was true or not.

We hadn’t booked any excursions because I had already come to the conclusion that there would be a lot of hanging around. I have already experienced several minor locks and I think doing a full transit sometime would probably satisfy any desire I have to do Panama Canal without hanging around for buses, boats etc.

21 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I thought the Radiance was finishing with a full transit which would only require one-way air? 

We just completed the repositioning on Adventure, which was originally scheduled to stop at Costa Rica, Colon and Cartagena. Just before sailing the stop at Colon was cancelled, supposedly because the channel hadn’t been dredged as promised. I don’t know if this was true or not.

We hadn’t booked any excursions because I had already come to the conclusion that there would be a lot of hanging around. I have already experienced several minor locks and I think doing a full transit sometime would probably satisfy any desire I have to do Panama Canal without hanging around for buses, boats etc.

Yes in april it does finish with a full transit. How is that only one airfare unless someone lives in Galveston which I dont. I'm about 6 hours away. So it helps not at all lol to what leave my car home and have to fly from Dallas to houston and then a extra shuttle to Galveston. 

Imo the 3 ten days round trips which go to colon Panama jan 30, feb 27 and march 27 are better for us Texans. A lot are booking the 9 day to coco cay b2b with the 10 day to panama. Lots of excitement for the b2bs. New ports. 

Havent heard anyone who lives somewhere in texas excited about the transit. Texas is  big state. Have to get to Galveston which I think you missed lol. But that's ok. We are very happy with what we got. 

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yes in april it does finish with a full transit. How is that only one airfare unless someone lives in Galveston which I dont. I'm about 6 hours away. So it helps not at all lol to what leave my car home and have to fly from Dallas to houston and then a extra shuttle to Galveston. 

Imo the 3 ten days round trips which go to colon Panama jan 30, feb 27 and march 27 are better for us Texans. A lot are booking the 9 day to coco cay b2b with the 10 day to panama. Lots of excitement for the b2bs. New ports. 

Havent heard anyone who lives somewhere in texas excited about the transit. Texas is  big state. Have to get to Galveston which I think you missed lol. But that's ok. We are very happy with what we got. 

I live in Texas so no, didn’t miss it at all and I can understand the excitement for different ports from Galveston instead of repeating the same old itinerary.

Yes, Texas is a big state but there are options. We just took the Adventure from Galveston, which had similar logistics. 

I did a Panama Canal cruise back in 2018 but it was on NCL.  the ferry I paid for was called "Cruise Gatun Lake And Panama Canal".  This description says "Panama Canal by Ferry  Experience the full wonder of crossing the Panama Canal by ferry boat on this daylong adventure. You’ll travel by ship's tender to the Gatun Yacht Club to board your transportation for the narrated drive through the isthmus to the small village of Gamboa. Here, you’ll board your ferry for your canal transit through two sets of locks. You’ll cross the Gaillard Cut and enter the Pedro Miguel Locks, which will lower your vessel 28 feet on its way to the Pacific. Your boat will settle on Miraflores Lake and then you’ll sail over to the Miraflores Locks. Enjoy a light lunch during your scenic cruise of the lake and locks. Your canal experience ends at the port of Balboa where you'll board your transportation back to the ship."  I paid $189.00.  For me, it was well worth it.  I hope you have the same one available.  I even had the opportunity to take a picture of my hand touching the canal lock.  I know it took a long time to get through the canal (waiting for the lock to fill up with other boats) but we did have a guide to explain everything & the lunch was very good.  I would do this again if given the opportunity.

• Thanks 1