Onward (and, hopefully, upward) 21st - 28th May

Noggins

Kotor is one of the ports I like the most Adrian. Especially if the ship is staying overnight in Kotor, it is lovely to visit and enjoy some nice food or drinks.

At the moment I am having a break before returning to the ship in our second day in Livorno.

Ivi 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, italyforme said:

Thank you for the posts Noggins and curmudgeon98!  

We board on the 28th in Athens.  It’s great to get some advance intel.  Selfishly hoping the passenger numbers stay low…🙃

Either of you doing B2B?

I heard that passenger numbers this week are 480.  I don't think these ships ever feel crowded, even when at max capacity, but the current level is very comfortable.  We will be on for the next week as well.

The brunch in the main dining room yesterday while arriving into Korcula was really excellent.  I've been satisfied with the included wines, and I've really appreciated not getting the pushy upsell for more expensive bottles.  Service in bars and restaurants has been excellent. 

There are definitely still catch-up maintenance items that weren't fully dealt with by the dockyard.  I expect the crew will get to them over time.  There are paint splatters on quite a few windows, especially in the Living Room.  The door to our balcony is extremely hard to open; feels like the rollers are frozen.  We called it in this morning, so we'll see when maintenance can get to it.

I was a little surprised that we haven't had better docking or anchorage positions, but apparently because our itineraries are new, we are low on the port priority list.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Kotor is one of the ports I like the most Adrian. Especially if the ship is staying overnight in Kotor, it is lovely to visit and enjoy some nice food or drinks.

At the moment I am having a break before returning to the ship in our second day in Livorno.

Ivi 

Hello Ivi - I am following your trip but the relentless pace that comes as being a party of six leaves little down time!

Kotor would be a great place for an overnight but I always have slightly mixed feelings about the absence of a sailaway (even sans Louis. Sorry, a Crystal reference..)

The only ship docked today was a Ponant. But the tender operation has been very good and who doesn't enjoy a small boat ride. Partly because 'it was there' and partly as penance for overindulgence we climbed to the fort - and discussed heart attacks up the climb. Once down again, the inevitable happened and we felt we deserved a cold beer and then some late lunch. Once again the Beyond burger and a glass of Chablis hit the spot.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Livorno!

AIMG-20220523-WA0002.thumb.jpg.9ddb6101a1a4d89b5cdf43b483418319.jpgIMG_20220523_144838926.thumb.jpg.e53d229c0d719e3f5d21a5faabf234da.jpgIMG_20220523_145517830.thumb.jpg.ba22917ece721b8f2d1dacb6bd67d494.jpgIMG_20220523_153853735.thumb.jpg.a2df11963d42c47a2d4e8e84e5d684ed.jpg

• Like 5

Bits and bobs.

The internet hasn't put a foot wrong - posting has been easy and quick. We knew we had 'included internet' in our booking but we're surprised to find it was the 'unlimited' top package. It connects automatically when you return to the ship.

We were also surprised to find we had the middle drinks package included, upgrade to Ultimate was just $49 for the week. A bargain. 🥂

I spotted a trolley laden with new safes this morning. Clearly a backlog of issues is being worked through. Our safe is now functioning normally.

I can post a picture of our basin - but knocking on other doors requesting a chance to photograph a selection of basins has been met with some very odd looks. So all I can say is ours is fine. Toiletries also seem fine - but it may be an area that I lack qualification in....

It seems our covid pier side charge has gone to our ship account and OBC is crediting it off. Fingers crossed I've got that right - or they'll be a lynching! 😬

Have Curmudgeonly and Noggins met? No, but I'm looking for someone with a very particular expression. (No idea what Curmudgeonly might be looking for.)

Bed is extremely comfortable - picture below. Come to that, the new sunbeds are extremely comfortable too - as my post lunch accidental snooze proves ...

Staff continue to provide service that is as good as we have had anywhere - even names remembered at times. 

Adrian

IMG_20220523_175743527_HDR.thumb.jpg.61c8482a2a09d16ea97ea346260f5269.jpg

IMG_20220523_175751024_HDR.thumb.jpg.9b62a2729c3a5d261030cb346dd43ff5.jpgIMG_20220523_142609747.thumb.jpg.d3049aa9e2000f233294c9903fa6171d.jpg

• Like 12

On 5/22/2022 at 12:56 PM, Noggins said:

Well now, where were we ..?

Ah, yes, breakfast. We had a sufficiently shaded table on the rear terrace. The buffet was extensive and similar to what we recall on Oceania. All good.

Then a relaxing morning sailing, a spot of lunch (Beyond burger excellent - we missed the Sunday Brunch ) Ashore in Korcula, a lovely medieval town on one of Croatia's many islands. A pleasant stroll around and a cafe visit to ensure we made a small tourist donation to a lovely spot (yes, ok, I admit we were thirsty too). They appear to be very short of tourists still - like so many places.

There were no delays for tenders in either direction. A low guest count makes a difference here too - but they still ran 4 tenders. I expected the tenders to be very worn. In fact I have seen a lot worse.

Now begins negotiation over where and when to eat. Six people represents the equivalent of herding cats....

Just having a visit for the safe to be fixed. But it seems to be properly broke and a new one will come tomorrow. (So, have to wear my tiara tonight...). Stop press - it's fixed!

Laters....

You are just to funny.  I am thoroughly enjoying your posts and you have reduced my stress level a good bit.  I understand about hearding cats...we usually travel with a group of 7 that is why I liked the old way..late dinner seating at a table for 10 to meet new folks!  I was leaving my tiara home because I was told it was pretty casual dress.  Have things changed?  Enjoy your day and evening! Looking forward to next installment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2022 at 9:01 AM, Noggins said:

Onboard!

If I was the sort to look for faults I would be disappointed! Utterly faultless and professional process and we are already one champagne down, all specialties booked, safety drill done, covid test passed and we are exactly 30 minutes beyond our official check in time. (We arrived a little early)

Life is good.

Adrian

Adrian, what a beautiful post! Not a surprise, but definitely a treat.

Keep enjoying; I’ll keep following.

—May B Muriel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noticed this on the daily schedule:

1408973106_ScreenShot2022-05-23at6_03_15PM.png.e59a0ff7215419e180dbb2739c1ae618.png

Haven't heard about such an offer before, and can't find it anywhere on the Azamara website.  Is this something new?  Or have others seen it on their Azamara voyages?

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

1408973106_ScreenShot2022-05-23at6_03_15PM.png.e59a0ff7215419e180dbb2739c1ae618.png

Haven't heard about such an offer before, and can't find it anywhere on the Azamara website.  Is this something new?  Or have others seen it on their Azamara voyages?

Yes, I have seen it on my Dec Quest cruise.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

18 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

Yes, I have seen it on my Dec Quest cruise.

Can you post a link to the Azamara website showing this?  I'd really like to buy it with OBC.

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Can you post a link to the Azamara website showing this?  I'd really like to buy it with OBC.

As far as I know, it can only be bought onboard from the photographer.  His photos that he took from various locations were on display and you could purchase the package from his shop onboard.

• Like 1

We had a surprise yesterday. We were convinced we had booked Aqualina for Wednesday but a reminder note advised we had a booking for last night.

We dutifully presented ourselves at the appointed time.

The restaurant is elegant and modern and has a 'brand new' feel as you would expect. It doesn't have a particularly Italian look or feel.

Food and service were excellent.

As seems to be our habit we were the last to leave. I think we must eat slowly..... Either that or will lingered over the wonderful soufflé!

Then Atlas Bar. Still not very busy and we managed to be the last to leave there too. The staff are infectious with their enthusiasm for what they are doing. There are 3 large portrait TV screens on one wall. Apparently the plan is to play music videos on these. That will add some extra ambiance. Personally I would lower the lighting levels too to achieve more of a 'club' feel. It's a venue with great potential.

Time precludes more now.... 

Adrian

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Noggins said:

Hello Ivi - I am following your trip but the relentless pace that comes as being a party of six leaves little down time!

Kotor would be a great place for an overnight but I always have slightly mixed feelings about the absence of a sailaway (even sans Louis. Sorry, a Crystal reference..)

The only ship docked today was a Ponant. But the tender operation has been very good and who doesn't enjoy a small boat ride. Partly because 'it was there' and partly as penance for overindulgence we climbed to the fort - and discussed heart attacks up the climb. Once down again, the inevitable happened and we felt we deserved a cold beer and then some late lunch. Once again the Beyond burger and a glass of Chablis hit the spot.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Livorno!

AIMG-20220523-WA0002.thumb.jpg.9ddb6101a1a4d89b5cdf43b483418319.jpgIMG_20220523_144838926.thumb.jpg.e53d229c0d719e3f5d21a5faabf234da.jpgIMG_20220523_145517830.thumb.jpg.ba22917ece721b8f2d1dacb6bd67d494.jpgIMG_20220523_153853735.thumb.jpg.a2df11963d42c47a2d4e8e84e5d684ed.jpg

Hi Adrian, so excited to see Chablis, my husband’s favourite! We’re on Onward at the end of next week. Is it on the ultimate drinks list or did you bring it on board?

8 minutes ago, Juno1956 said:

Hi Adrian, so excited to see Chablis, my husband’s favourite! We’re on Onward at the end of next week. Is it on the ultimate drinks list or did you bring it on board?

Hello - it's on the ultimate package but takes a little extra effort to get hold of! We managed to get a bottle at lunchtime but when we needed a second (6 of us, remember!) the word was that there would be a delay accessing more from the stores.

We now carry around a photo of the bottle to make clear what wine we're after.... (Makes us sound fussy and very hard to please? I don't think we are really 🤔)

Adrian

• Like 2

As we're talking about wines, I could mention a little challenge we've been set....

The Nicholas F champers has run out. And, no, I don't think we are entirely to blame....

So we are being served Perrier Jouet champagne instead. And that's just lovely.

However it was mentioned last night that when that one runs out they will have to serve Verve Cliquet (sp?) - which appears on the extra charge list as a per bottle item.

We like a challenge!🥂

And that's not all. It seems that the Atlas Bar is missing some of the items it needs for their new cocktails so they are using some substitutes. Kusadasi is the next restocking port for such items. Apparently.

A

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Noggins said:

… The Nicholas F champers has run out. And, no, I don't think we are entirely to blame....

However it was mentioned last night that when that one runs out they will have to serve Verve Cliquet (sp?) - which appears on the extra charge list as a per bottle item.

Veuve Clicquot is a very nice champagne - much better offering than NF!  

(Bytheway, as an fyi, ‘Veuve’ is French for ‘widow’)

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Noggins said:

As we're talking about wines, I could mention a little challenge we've been set....

The Nicholas F champers has run out. And, no, I don't think we are entirely to blame....

We like a challenge!🥂

And that's not all. It seems that the Atlas Bar is missing some of the items it needs for their new cocktails so they are using some substitutes. Kusadasi is the next restocking port for such items. Apparently.

A

I think that would be a great challenge to win.  Veuve Clicquot is lovely.  I don’t care much for the Nicholas Feuillate. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Juno1956 said:

Onboard on 4th June too and looking forward to some Chablis.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Noggins said:

Hello - it's on the ultimate package but takes a little extra effort to get hold of! We managed to get a bottle at lunchtime but when we needed a second (6 of us, remember!) the word was that there would be a delay accessing more from the stores.

We now carry around a photo of the bottle to make clear what wine we're after.... (Makes us sound fussy and very hard to please? I don't think we are really 🤔)

Adrian

No, I don't think it makes you fussy and very hard to please.

Showing the photo to your waiter lets that person know exactly what you are after and in the long run may well save them some time.

It may also be a good idea when ordering the first (as there are six of you), to let your waiter know you will all be requiring more than one drink, so they may dispense with an extra trip to the store to get your second bottle.

• Like 2

Nice day in Corfu yesterday.  There was a complimentary shuttle from the port to the old town.  It's easy to see how Corfu could be a destination for a week or more by itself.  Weather has been great.  Azamazing evening was on the pool deck in two shifts; definitely not quite the same as the land versions, but still well done and enjoyable.  Ships crew has continued to catch up on some of the bits and pieces left over from the renovation; our hall got all new room fridges, and lots of windows got washed. 

We got a request for mid-cruise feedback delivered to the cabin, and I really would have a hard time making any criticism.  Breakfast on the balcony just arrived, so more later. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1