PCR vs Rapid antigen to board ship

lais

Frequently Asked Questions (hollandamerica.com)

From the HAL website 2 minutes ago on May 23, 2022. My bolding.

"PROOF OF NEGATIVE COVID-19 TEST Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically observed antigen test within 2 days before sailing."

Have a great cruise on Zuiderdam!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 2

The other thing that is important is that PCR tests may show positive up to 90 days after you were infected, as the PCR tests may see residue of Covid. Antigen tests, on the other hand, only show active, current infection.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

The other thing that is important is that PCR tests may show positive up to 90 days after you were infected, as the PCR tests may see residue of Covid. Antigen tests, on the other hand, only show active, current infection.

Not necessarily. Tests conducted in the Yukon in January showed over 50% of those tested with antigen tests 5-9 days after initial testing still tested positive. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7108a3.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2inSETexas said:

…Tests conducted in the Yukon in January showed over 50% of those tested with antigen tests 5-9 days after initial testing still tested positive. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7108a3.htm

22 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

That just means they still were infected.

The updated isolation guidance was to prevent economic collapse from so many missing work, even as they acknowledged most were still infectious to some degree beyond the isolation period.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, blueexpedition29 said:

all - please be careful : the requirements vary by region/sailing port.  I believe the above is the requirment for Alaska/Canadian sailings.  For europe it is 3 DAYS ( not 72 hours) for either antigen or PCR test

For Europe if I test on a Sunday early on the day for my Wednesday 5pm sailing would this be acceptable?  I must admit to being confused re 3 days vs 72 hours

6 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

For Europe if I test on a Sunday early on the day for my Wednesday 5pm sailing would this be acceptable?  I must admit to being confused re 3 days vs 72 hours

Yes, any time on Sunday (or Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday) is OK for a Wednesday sailing.  Forget about the 72 hours business for Europe sailings (except Greece, rules are different).

9 hours ago, syesmar said:

The updated isolation guidance was to prevent economic collapse from so many missing work, even as they acknowledged most were still infectious to some degree beyond the isolation period.

Key takeaway - “However, a positive antigen test result does not necessarily mean that a person is infectious; similarly, a negative test result does not necessarily mean that a person is not infectious.”

Still confused with requirements.  Understand Holland requirements but do not understand Canada.  According to Canada info covid test required 2 days before arrival.  As our boston montreal cruise leaves on Sat and does not get to Canada till Monday does that mean we have to get two covid tests or one some how on the day we leave Saturday???

14 minutes ago, timbom said:

Still confused with requirements.  Understand Holland requirements but do not understand Canada.  According to Canada info covid test required 2 days before arrival.  As our boston montreal cruise leaves on Sat and does not get to Canada till Monday does that mean we have to get two covid tests or one some how on the day we leave Saturday???

The rules for Canada is a negative 2 day before you board the ship, not 2 days before you enter Canada. 

From the Gov of Can website:

Getting an embarkation test before you board a ship that will dock in Canada

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
      • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, blueexpedition29 said:

all - please be careful : the requirements vary by region/sailing port.  I believe the above is the requirment for Alaska/Canadian sailings.  For europe it is 3 DAYS ( not 72 hours) for either antigen or PCR test

You are correct in that specific EU or country requirements apply.  are sailing on the Rotterdam out of Amsterdam in June, and HAL sent us EU COVID guidelines that require a negative COVID PCR or antigen test within 3 days of embarkation on ship.

EU-Cruise-Protocols-0425 (1).pdf

Edited by Kamfish642
Correct error

15 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Thank you.  I was wondering about this.

Confused and a bit angry. Cruising out of Amsterdam on a Sunday. Plan 4 nights in London pre cruise. Looking for a test site, very confusing. Emailed my hotel and the directed me to 2 pharmacies. One charges over $200 and the other over $300; boy are they making money. Found a couple of others that charge around $40 and am anxious about their validity. Amsterdam Airport is also outrageous. My understanding is that I don't have to test to fly to Amsterdam but test is needed to board Ship. I would gratefully pay HAL to test me pre disembarking; looks like that's not happening.  Anyone have good testing sources?

Saltshell - I suggest you consider the Emed tests.  Order them BEFORE YOU leave as they can only be shipped in the US) and then use them to test whenever YOU want in the 3 prior days.   This also gives you some flexibilty and control in the event you were to test positive.   I have used these several times and it is very easy.  They also can be used if you need testing to reenter USA ( if you were extending trip at debarkation). 

I just ordered a pack of 6 for $172 ( with Fedex overnight shipping)  for upcoming trips directly from emed.   You can also order from Optum 3 for $99 (includes shipping and takes a few days to arrive). 

Good Luck

On 5/23/2022 at 8:23 PM, blueexpedition29 said:

Isn't 3days equal to 72hrs??

9 minutes ago, MTemple212 said:

Isn't 3days equal to 72hrs??

But the question has been 72 hours from when? Boarding? Sailing?

Previously, HAL typically said "3 days", which meant if you are sailing on Saturday, you could get your test ANYTIME on Wednesday. But some countries are saying 72 hours, which has a starting point, like 72 hours from the start of boarding.

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

But the question has been 72 hours from when? Boarding? Sailing?

Previously, HAL typically said "3 days", which meant if you are sailing on Saturday, you could get your test ANYTIME on Wednesday. But some countries are saying 72 hours, which has a starting point, like 72 hours from the start of boarding.

I called and spoke with my PCC. I sail out of Barcelona on Wed June 1. 3 days prior is Monday NOT Sunday.  Wed, Tue, Mon. 3 days. I had to reschedule my test to be in Barcelona on Monday over the internet, Instead of on Sunday before we leave PHX. She was very insistent that a test on Sunday within 72 actual hours of boarding would not work.  So we will test before we go at home to verify we are clean and not waste a 20 hour flight, and then again when we get to Barcelona for Holland to be happy.

Following the HAL site here as we are on a HAL cruise this December.  However, we are on a cruise on another line embarking in Rome on 6/15 (Wednesday).  We are leaving Phoenix on 6/12  (Sunday evening).  Had the same questions, since we are losing a LOT of hours between here and Rome.  We decided not to take that chance that officials will argue semantics, so ordered the proctored tests  advertised on the cruise lines' site - Inspire Diagnostics (they market to numerous cruise lines).  There is even a YouTube video about how to do it.  They use Zoom, so downloaded to our phones and tablets.  Once an appointment is reserved, you get an email with the link to Zoom at the date/time you selected.  Seemd pretty easy.  After they visually see your (hopefully) negative test, they send a confirmation email that you print off (we will do this in our Rome hotel).  We plan to use it for our return to the US, as we are staying an extra day.  If this works slick, we will use it for our HAL cruise in December.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slush said:

I called and spoke with my PCC. I sail out of Barcelona on Wed June 1. 3 days prior is Monday NOT Sunday.  Wed, Tue, Mon. 3 days. I had to reschedule my test to be in Barcelona on Monday over the internet, Instead of on Sunday before we leave PHX. She was very insistent that a test on Sunday within 72 actual hours of boarding would not work.

I think someone is having a problem with basic counting skills.  In your example, 1 day before is Tuesday, 2 days before is Monday, 3 days before is Sunday.  You are saying if the requirement would have been 1 day before, then it would have to be done on Wednesday (your embarkation day); that just doesn't make sense.  Furthermore, why are you bringing 72 hours into play?  HAL never mentions hours in:

Europe cruise protocols PDF

Now, I don't know precise wording from Spain, but the post above on Canada's 2-day requirement has a completely clear example:  post #13

50 minutes ago, Torquer said:

I think someone is having a problem with basic counting skills.  In your example, 1 day before is Tuesday, 2 days before is Monday, 3 days before is Sunday.  You are saying if the requirement would have been 1 day before, then it would have to be done on Wednesday (your embarkation day); that just doesn't make sense.  Furthermore, why are you bringing 72 hours into play?  HAL never mentions hours in:

Europe cruise protocols PDF

Now, I don't know precise wording from Spain, but the post above on Canada's 2-day requirement has a completely clear example:  post #13

Torquer I agree with your math. I am sailing on Sunday. Need a test within three days prior to boarding. So I’m taking my test tomorrow (Thursday) since that is three days prior. At least by my math it is. If it isn’t, I’ll be scrambling in Barcelona to get a test.

6 hours ago, Slush said:

I called and spoke with my PCC. I sail out of Barcelona on Wed June 1. 3 days prior is Monday NOT Sunday.  Wed, Tue, Mon. 3 days. I had to reschedule my test to be in Barcelona on Monday over the internet, Instead of on Sunday before we leave PHX. She was very insistent that a test on Sunday within 72 actual hours of boarding would not work.  So we will test before we go at home to verify we are clean and not waste a 20 hour flight, and then again when we get to Barcelona for Holland to be happy.

In reading the rules it states “taken within 3 days” not 3 days prior. This is why they count the day of embarkation as day 1. Yes, I wish they gave an example in the protocol, but they don’t. It’s all semantics, so I’m going with better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slush said:

In reading the rules it states “taken within 3 days” not 3 days prior. This is why they count the day of embarkation as day 1. Yes, I wish they gave an example in the protocol, but they don’t. It’s all semantics, so I’m going with better safe than sorry.

When they launch space craft, the thing leaves at '0', not '1'.  So, I'd go with 3, 2, 1, embark/depart.  In this case.... Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.