Carnival Freedom Funnel Fire

d12j28

1 hour ago, JRG said:

We all know that we get alot of great informaton from our on board engineers.

The problem is that we also get some malarkey mixed in here and there,  so we have to stay frosty and help them out when we can.

for instance,   there are some engineers who think the wing is aerodynamic.   I say no chance it is aerodynamic yet the posting from the "real marine engineers" says something different.

So I am telling you.    Stay Frosty

Hum. I always thought any wing is aerodynamic. They are wing shaped are they not? Do they give less resistance to the ship? Doubt it. 

51 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Is it more aerodynamic than 3-4 round pipes with bracing and insulation?  You bet.  Do they provide any aerodynamic benefit?  No, and never said they did.  You know, with all your pedantry with other's words, you really need to up your own game.

Yes, it creates less drag than the pipes sticking out like they do now.  Was aerodynamics the reason to have the "fins"?  No.  It was cool looking to the ship designer.

Totally agree. Sure looks a lot cleaner and nicer than others with the pipes just sticking straight up and out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Hum. I always thought any wing is aerodynamic. They are wing shaped are they not? Do they give less resistance to the ship? Doubt it. 

Its shape as a funnel camouflaging an exhaust pipe or two is aerodynamic in its design but...

When it is attached to a vessel the size of this ship and because of where it is located it does not perform an aerodynamic function.

In other words,   if it is attached to a dinghy or whaler,   then one could theoretically para-sail over Bar Harbour or even Coronado Island (on a sunny day).

I'm joking of course but you get the drift.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JRG said:

Its shape as a funnel camouflaging an exhaust pipe or two is aerodynamic in its design but...

When it is attached to a vessel the size of this ship and because of where it is located it does not perform an aerodynamic function.

In other words,   if it is attached to a dinghy or whaler,   then one could theoretically para-sail over Bar Harbour or even Coronado Island (on a sunny day).

And again you have been proven wrong by the real engineers. They say it is aerodynamic but does not give aerodynamic function. Big difference from your “no chance it is aerodynamic”

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Totally agree. Sure looks a lot cleaner and nicer than others with the pipes just sticking straight up and out.

And the fix won't just be an aluminum box over the pipes,   as suggested in a premature evaluation.

The Whale Tale Fin Stays.....Its part of the package.

1 hour ago, JRG said:

I think I basically said just that.

8 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I think I basically said just that.

There were too many quotes and I wasn't sure.   Its all hair splitting anyways.

I just feel for the cruisers who have been cancelled and who are on the fringe because we know how that feels and to lose it because of a non-covid reason makes it that more difficult to not be frustrated.

That is really the main concern here for me.

I'm glad it looks like they are getting it fixed,  but it is still a horse race to find out what the cause is.

I'm tempted to have my man Mondo show us his work on my GT-R type exhaust because he is the one whole will explain why the leaky flange gasket theory doesn't make practical engineering sense.

One does not mess with Mondo unless you have a good explanation.

Edited by JRG

18 hours ago, Indytraveler83 said:

I think some people see anything older than the Vista class as a worn out old ship.  The reality is that the Freedom was built in 2006, and is sitting at 16 years old.

If this had happened to the Elation or Sunshine (and especially Ecstacy) scrapping might be more of an option, as those ships are in the 25 year old range and Carnival likely doesn't have long term future plans with them.  

No, this isn't huge damage and I strongly believe that they wouldn't scrap any ship that has this, doing that would be a bad idea and huge loss. Sunshine is all upgraded and Elation will be in the fleet through at least 2026 theoretically 

Freedom was built in 2007

4 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Keeps the stern from taking off under extreme speed. 🤣

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I see you can still book Freedom cruises beginning June 11th - that gives them only about a week to finish whatever they are going to for now.

I toyed with the gamble of booking a suite for that sailing several days ago - in hopes on an Escape type (sailing by sailing) cancellation. I don't see it being fully repaired by then, but that won't stop them from getting her back in service asap. IF I would have been able to sail 6/11, I'd pull that trigger for sure - but in my case, I'd end up losing the $ (not being onboard) if she sailed.

Tom

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

The whale tale looks outdated and cheapens the appearance of the ship anyway.

Really. it is like the golden arches. Never goes out of date and is an icon to the cruiseline. Just like the they way they are now painting the ships. Looks great. Can't miss the ship being a Carnival ship from miles away. Brand recognition is certainly what they are aiming for and they are on target.

• Like 9

On 6/4/2022 at 3:10 AM, BlerkOne said:

285861549_5281671138538624_4273567061665

Does anyone know when this photo was taken?  It doesn't look like they've done much yet.  We're supposed to cruise June 16 and this doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about it being ready.

48 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Does anyone know when this photo was taken?  It doesn't look like they've done much yet.  We're supposed to cruise June 16 and this doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about it being ready.

Well, not knowing what their (short term) end game is for this (nor what damage was done) there's no way to know what kind of progress they're making. They'll keep us in the dark the same way NCL did with the Escape. It's on a need to know basis apparently - and I guess they think the public doesn't need to know.  (but most of us would love to know)

Tom

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Really. it is like the golden arches. Never goes out of date and is an icon to the cruiseline. Just like the they way they are now painting the ships. Looks great. Can't miss the ship being a Carnival ship from miles away. Brand recognition is certainly what they are aiming for and they are on target.

true but there are newer ships with shorter and wider tails so I you see one that is tall, you will know it is a ship that is more than 5 years old.  I kind of like the tail as well as the new painting design too.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:13 PM, Indytraveler83 said:

Sounds like Carnival doesn't intend to cancel anything after the June 6 sailing. Not sure what I can share, but Carnival did make a statement cancelling only sailings through then, and that the expect to welcome guests back shortly. It'll be interesting to see what they actually do for repairs in that short time frame.  

I’m on  6/11, seems like it’s still going.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 12:03 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

On 6/4/2022 at 2:35 PM, JRG said:

On 6/4/2022 at 3:40 PM, 2wheelin said:

And again you have been proven wrong by the real engineers. They say it is aerodynamic but does not give aerodynamic function. Big difference from your “no chance it is aerodynamic”

An "aerodynamic function" does not mean it has to provide lift or affect resistance - it means it alters the airflow in some (presumably) intentional manner.  It might do that for flow of exhaust , to move it further away (left or right or upwards) from the main structure for aesthetics or reduce soot falling on the decks.  Or it might be to push the air away from other exhausts "downwind" to avoid those exhausts from getting caught up in an eddy.  Or in the case of certain aero tweaks for Formula 1 cars, it might help air intake inflow, or minimize impact from crosswinds, and so on.

Whether the Carnival whale tail is truly aerodynamic in function (purpose or fluke) is probably less relevant than the fact that it is a recognizable feature.

On 6/5/2022 at 1:15 PM, CruisinCrow said:

It was presumably taken the day of or the day after arriving.

Knowing how damage assessments and repairs work based on my experience in fields completely different from ships, I am not surprised it isn't immediately being worked 24 hrs a day.  Once they start it will either move slowly at first (because still assessing) or really quickly (because they know exactly what to do already).

4 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Knowing how damage assessments and repairs work based on my experience in fields completely different from ships, I am not surprised it isn't immediately being worked 24 hrs a day.  Once they start it will either move slowly at first (because still assessing) or really quickly (because they know exactly what to do already).

First off, Grand Bahamas does not work 3 shifts, only 2, so 16 hours/day.  After arrival, the yard estimators came onboard, scoped out the work, and then it would be up to the scaffold gang to start building a scaffold from the highest deck up to under the wing/fin, and as that approaches completion, they can start removing the damaged exhaust pipes (it looks like they already have one down, the one that was only drooping to the horizontal).  In the meantime, they are fabricating new pieces in the shops, though Carnival would have to ship materials over as GBSY does not store a lot of steel.  The actual putting back together will be last, and take the least amount of time.

• Like 3

As a note, Marinetraffic shows a bunker barge alongside the Freedom, so they plan on getting underway in the not too distant future (though this timing most likely fits with hotwork (welding) being done on the funnel).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

First off, Grand Bahamas does not work 3 shifts, only 2, so 16 hours/day.  After arrival, the yard estimators came onboard, scoped out the work, and then it would be up to the scaffold gang to start building a scaffold from the highest deck up to under the wing/fin, and as that approaches completion, they can start removing the damaged exhaust pipes (it looks like they already have one down, the one that was only drooping to the horizontal).  In the meantime, they are fabricating new pieces in the shops, though Carnival would have to ship materials over as GBSY does not store a lot of steel.  The actual putting back together will be last, and take the least amount of time.

What would you say the chances are that it will be ready by June 16?  Don't worry, I won't hold you to it.  🙂  Just curious how long you would expect the work you just described to take. 

Edited by CruisinCrow

54 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

What would you say the chances are that it will be ready by June 16?  Don't worry, I won't hold you to it.  🙂  Just curious how long you would expect the work you just described to take. 

Another 10 days?  They could do it.  I've been in GBSY with a ship in drydock, when a cruise ship comes in for repairs, and 3/4 of our workforce disappeared to the cruise ship.  There are enough aluminum manufacturers in south Florida that I would expect a temp "fin" to be made in a week's time from when they got the plans.  I originally tossed out 4 weeks, so you may be disappointed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Another 10 days?  They could do it.  I've been in GBSY with a ship in drydock, when a cruise ship comes in for repairs, and 3/4 of our workforce disappeared to the cruise ship.  There are enough aluminum manufacturers in south Florida that I would expect a temp "fin" to be made in a week's time from when they got the plans.  I originally tossed out 4 weeks, so you may be disappointed.

Thanks!  Carnival is still acting like the June 11 sailing is going to take place so we might have a chance.  We won't be too disappointed if they cancel us and give us a free cruise.  It would just be nice to know one way or the other because we can't book anything else until we know. 

• Like 1