SS Cloud Live...ish JUNE 1-14

highplanesdrifters

12 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Dark chocolate martini and a Cosmo. We had two.😉

That is too funny, I was thinking they are a Cosmo and Chocloate Martini😃

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:07 PM, Stumblefoot said:

Sorry, I’m not following what you are implying.  

I never said latitude is given. I merely asked a question about latitude.

Sorry, I should have said “if”.

Flight update. 

It has been 5 days since the problem arose concerning  our lack of flight from Tromso to Oslo.  Silversea keeps telling us they are working on it. Silversea also continues to blame our Travel agent claiming she booked Port2Port not Door2Door. There was no P2P option. And even if we did book P2P it is still included in the Expedition cruise.  I have dropped off documentation from SS stating that, and my TA has emailed it to them. It's not funny anymore.

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

For @Lois R

A toast to you!

20220607_194545.jpg

awwww thanks😃 but the toast should really be to you........HAPPY RETIREMENT!😃oops😲....it was FauxNom who retired.........well, here's to you......HAPPY CRUISE!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Flight update. 

It has been 5 days since the problem arose concerning  our lack of flight from Tromso to Oslo.  Silversea keeps telling us they are working on it. Silversea also continues to blame our Travel agent claiming she booked Port2Port not Door2Door. There was no P2P option. And even if we did book P2P it is still included in the Expedition cruise.  I have dropped off documentation from SS stating that, and my TA has emailed it to them. It's not funny anymore.

Have you spoken to the Hotel Director about this, and if it’s not getting resolved then I suggest you try contacting Barbara Muckermann direct

• Like 1

highplanesdrifters; agree with Mr. Silver above, if you air is not fixed--contact Barbara Muckerman, Chief Operations Officer for Silversea.  (fyi, sent her a copy of your post #54

and did ask her to assist if you air situation is not fixed)

• Like 2

Thank you all so very much for your help and suggestions.  We finally have tickets.  Between myself and my travel agent we had hit the highest level of SS. A few days ago I was told this had gone to the highest levels. My Goddess of a TA had us backed up with refundable flights from the onset of this issue almost a week ago for $275 each. It was really more the way we were treated, blaming us for their Muck Up. But I like Tromso. There is a great little museum there, The Polar museum. If we got stuck that was OK too. Didn't want the agrivation to get in the way of a otherwise fabulous trip.  We are not the only ones who are done with Silversea.  Storieds abound. Perhaps another day. Back to fun!

• Like 2

Very curious about “rare” designation.  Could be, Wes, that it’s rare to find a poster on social media who is consistently positive!   I don’t think you have ever been snippy  (there could be one exception - you know who I mean!)

• Like 3

Foula, Shetland

Yesterday afternoon following the morning zodiac tour of the sea caves we did a Coastal hike on Foula. Very windy but oh so majestic. Lovely War memorial.  We were told not to touch any dead birds as the island has quite a bit of bird flu. A big article in The Shetland news today.  Very Interesting because we were told that this is Pulse Year for birds in the areas we are covering. A weird bit, the island was littered with junk.

20220607_160246.jpg

20220607_160005.jpg

20220607_160359.jpg

20220607_161317.jpg

20220607_162851.jpg

20220607_170515.jpg

20220607_165832.jpg

20220607_170644.jpg

• Like 4

Noss, Shetland

This morning we called in tired and skipped the zodiac tour. It was cold, extremely windy, drizzling and we have been to Noss before. Crawling out from under the comforter and putting on 27 layers was just not an appealing option. I even took a nap after breakfast.

20220608_100710.jpg

• Like 3

Lerwick, Shetland

It was difficult, but I managed to rustle up some energy,  put clothes on and we went out in public. Lovie was getting antsy. We have been here before. Charming town, the great Shetland Museum, scenery, ponies, and Norse history. What's not to love. We did a quiet stroll around town. Found Jimmy Perez's house. Took some dorky selfies there. Got in some retail therapy. All in all a nice afternoon break from the intense pace we have been keeping.

20220608_162814.jpg

20220608_160017.jpg

20220608_154640.jpg

20220608_142409.jpg

20220608_141701.jpg

20220608_141222.jpg

20220608_141213.jpg

20220608_153704.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you so much for sharing your vacation!  Your pictures are marvelous!!

I do have a question, when you are on one of the RIB's and have a 'wet' landing, how deep is the water where you have to step out?  1 inch? 2? several? 12inches?

I am trying to figure out what kind of boots to get, DH is determined not to have to use boots, but has mentioned 'water shoes' 😱, and I hope you have some clues!

TIA!

N

20 minutes ago, BigNance said:

I do have a question, when you are on one of the RIB's and have a 'wet' landing, how deep is the water where you have to step out?  1 inch? 2? several? 12inches?

I am trying to figure out what kind of boots to get, DH is determined not to have to use boots, but has mentioned 'water shoes' 😱, and I hope you have some clues!

TIA!

N

If you are on an expedition ship with zodiac landings in cooler climates then you would be very unwise not to have long waterproof boots, the sea in Northern Europe is very cold and you often have to get off a zodiac into water which is several inches (mid calf) deep.   Water shoes would still lead to at a minimum wet ankles probably wet socks and wet trouser legs, not much fun to then hike in. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Rare, I was wondering the same thing.😃

This has had me stumped as well, so I finally made an effort to find out!  That, and the little ship icon next to your avatar mean that you've contributed a "Live From" review.  Whew!

8 hours ago, BigNance said:

TIA!

N

Big Nance glad you're enjoying the trip and pictures.  As for shoes, It really depends on what type of expedition voyage you are on. Where are you going?

Luxury Expeditions in the polar regions generally provide knee high rubber boots. When you book there should be a page with what gear will be provided for you, and what you will need to purchase.  On the polar landings you can be in 1 inch or 6 inches plus of icy water. On this trip we haven't had any wet landings...yet.  Those that kayaked may have had a wet landing, but were provided dry suits and booties.  I have been wearing waterproof Hoka trail shoes. They have been fantastic.  Many are wearing hiking boots/shoes which I assume are waterproof.  We have had some river crossings, marshy/boggy areas, and lots water splashing into the Zodiacs from rough seas. I've seen some people with modern galoshes over their shoes.  In tropical regions I'll wear reef shoes if we are just going for a beach snorkel.  Or if there us a hike involved I'll bring some footwear in a backpack and change once we have landed. I hope this helps.

• Like 1