Carnival Introduces Menu Mate for Food Allergies

sunonfire

I wish this type of tech was available when my son was younger. We avoided any travel where there might be language barriers because of his life-threatening food allergies. Glad he grew out of most of them (though the tree nut allergy is probably forever).

I know Carnival just officially announced it, but I have been seeing on some Carnival ships since cruising restarted. This is from Carnival Horizon last July:

DSC_0498.JPG

Edited by BlerkOne
  • Like 2

At least this is a step in the right direction.  I still have issues with cross contamination.  I will ask for a burger with no cheese from Guys because my daughter has a dairy allergy and they will use the same spatula to serve the burger.

2 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

At least this is a step in the right direction.  I still have issues with cross contamination.  I will ask for a burger with no cheese from Guys because my daughter has a dairy allergy and they will use the same spatula to serve the burger.

I've seen people mention that to "Possum" (aren't they all named Possum?) before at Guy's. They cook them a fresh one on a freshly cleaned grill with clean utensils. You have to wait but it's not a problem.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

I've seen people mention that to "Possum" (aren't they all named Possum?) before at Guy's. They cook them a fresh one on a freshly cleaned grill with clean utensils. You have to wait but it's not a problem.

They've always given me a blank look.  I might have to get the person at the podium to go with me.

I had experience with this on the Pride back in October after the restart. I was not impressed.  I'm celiac and cannot have gluten.  I have cruised numerous times on Carnival and pretty much know what I can have and what they can make gluten free (french toast for brunch, pasta for dinner, for example, can be made gluten free).  When trying to order my meals at dinner for the next day, things that are gluten free were not showing up.  I wanted Indian veg one night which didn't show up.  My waiter refused to place the order for me because it didn't show up as gluten free in the program.  French toast didn't show up - "you can only have the parfait."  One night for dinner, it only showed a salad...

I made sure to give feedback about it after my cruise but was delighted that the Legend didn't seem to use the system when I sailed in February.  Not looking forward to it going fleetwide, unless they've made significant improvements. 

Also to add to the experience - as anyone with allergies knows, when you order your meals at dinner for the next day, they leave the menu book with you for a few minutes so you can pick out what you want at your leisure, and they stop back by to pick up the book and your order.  My waiters refused to leave the tablet with me so I could browse what I could (or in many instances, could not) eat.  Waiter held the tablet and scrolled while I awkwardly tried to read it as he scrolled and I had to make a decision right then and there.  

Last month on the Breeze, a friend needed gluten-free menu options so she was thrilled to find out about the Menu Mate.  The two ladies standing at the kiosk were very helpful with her first night menu selection for dinner in the MDR.  Then, each night before leaving the dinner table, the team lead server helped her select GF menu items for breakfast and dinner for the following day.  We did not eat in the buffet, so she was very pleased that for lunch both the deli and pizza stations offered GF bread/crust  options and even cautioned her that the french fries in the deli were not GF, but the potato salad was.  As this was her first cruise, it helped my friend feel at-ease about her overall eating experience during the cruise, which was positive, delicious and plentiful. 

• 5 weeks later...

So I have celiac and can't have gluten. I am dining at the steakhouse the first night. Will someone in the steakhouse take my order for the next day's breakfast and dinner? Also, I am assuming that the only reason to take an advance order is if there is something that needs to be made special. Does this also mean I can't order anything "special" the first night in the steakhouse? 

1 hour ago, land64shark said:

So I have celiac and can't have gluten. I am dining at the steakhouse the first night. Will someone in the steakhouse take my order for the next day's breakfast and dinner? Also, I am assuming that the only reason to take an advance order is if there is something that needs to be made special. Does this also mean I can't order anything "special" the first night in the steakhouse? 

For the most part, there are no special orders in the steakhouse.  I would meet with the maitre'd on the first day and go over your dietary requirements and let them know that you won't be in the MDR on the first night and make plans for the following night.