Are US Passports needed for children?

Aosborn

Any US citizen may cruise with a birth certificate including kids. Those over 16 will also need a government issued picture ID in addition to the birth certificate. 

Based on my experience with 65 years of international travel, don't leave the country without a passport. Should things go sideways in a foreign country, things may not go well if you do not have a passport. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Moviela said:

Any US citizen may cruise with a birth certificate including kids. Those over 16 will also need a government issued picture ID in addition to the birth certificate. 

Based on my experience with 65 years of international travel, don't leave the country without a passport. Should things go sideways in a foreign country, things may not go well if you do not have a passport. 

I did read last year when a person got sick on a cruise with no passport, she was able to fly home with an emergency exemption. 

No, passports are not required.  Birth certificates will suffice.

And I don't blame you for not wanting to get them.  We just had to get our kids passports (going to Europe) and it was an ordeal.  Both parents have to go to the passport appointment and you have to send off the original birth certificate. I started looking March 1st for our late July trip and was scared we weren't going to get them in time. (Who would have thought 5 months would have been cutting it close? When I applied and renewed in the past, it was weeks not months)  I couldn't find an appointment on line at all and started even calling around. Many places were booked up for appointment 4 months out and not even taking any more reservations!  Another place said they were booked to 2023!!! Finally got one by watching the website and getting a cancellation.  Another friend had to drive 2 hours away to get an appointment. We ended up paying for the express (which made 2 passports over $400) because I was worried we weren't going to get them in time.  And they are only good for 5 years.  We did get the passports, but it was incredibly time consuming and stressful.  Getting a kid's passport is MUCH more involved than getting an adult one.    

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I did read last year when a person got sick on a cruise with no passport, she was able to fly home with an emergency exemption. 

Anyone can get an emergency passport to return to the US.  It just costs for travel to consulate, hotels, processing.   

2 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

And I don't blame you for not wanting to get them.  We just had to get our kids passports (going to Europe) and it was an ordeal.  Both parents have to go to the passport appointment and you have to send off the original birth certificate. I started looking March 1st for our late July trip and was scared we weren't going to get them in time. (Who would have thought 5 months would have been cutting it close? When I applied and renewed in the past, it was weeks not months)  I couldn't find an appointment on line at all and started even calling around. Many places were booked up for appointment 4 months out and not even taking any more reservations!  Another place said they were booked to 2023!!! Finally got one by watching the website and getting a cancellation.  Another friend had to drive 2 hours away to get an appointment. We ended up paying for the express (which made 2 passports over $400) because I was worried we weren't going to get them in time.  And they are only good for 5 years.  We did get the passports, but it was incredibly time consuming and stressful.  Getting a kid's passport is MUCH more involved than getting an adult one.    

Which is why I think people should take the time to get one, because you never know what could happen. And I was able to get my child's passport without his father being there, there is a statement of consent you can get notorized and take in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Both parents have to go to the passport appointment and you have to send off the original birth certificate.

It's all part of minimizing a potential international child abduction by one parent.  Each parent knows that the child has a passport and what the number is.  It's sad to think that some parents behave badly, but it does happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

You are right getting a passport for a child is a headache. We got an apartment at the local post office but I could not get work in time so I had to have a notarized form giving my spouse permission to apply for the passport. Since we had the expired passport we did not have to have the birth certificate. The five year time frame is unfair since it cost the same as the adult passport. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Anyone can get an emergency passport to return to the US.  It just costs for travel to consulate, hotels, processing.   

Right but in life and death situation the state department makes exceptions. I agree having a passport is the best option, but some people take a gamble that they will not need the passport. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aoife_immortal said:

Which is why I think people should take the time to get one, because you never know what could happen. And I was able to get my child's passport without his father being there, there is a statement of consent you can get notorized and take in.

But then the parent still has to go to a notary which, for my husband, would still require him missing work.  For us, it was six of one, a half dozen of the other.

The bad part was not us both having to be there. It was how difficult it was to get an appointment at all!  I don't think it used to be that way, but it is now in this post-covid/all government agencies are backlogged and short-staff world we live in. I had to spend HOURS checking every post office and passport location near us on a daily basis trying to get an appointment.  There is no way that I would mess with getting a child's passport right now unless I absolutely HAD to have one given the chances of having an emergency and having to fly back to the US are relatively small. I would wait a year or so until the back logs clear.  I literally probably put 20+ hours into getting their passport and everyone I talked to has had the same experience. I know another lady who was considering flying from Houston to El Paso just to get a passport appointment for her child.  It isn't like it was 2 years ago. It is so far above and beyond anything reasonable that I would not recommend anyone mess with it right now.   

I don't think people realize how bad it is unless they actually go through it themselves.  I also applied for Global Entry on March 1st and haven't even been cleared for an interview yet!!!  As of March, interviews were booked out until 2023. I have been told the average time for approval is taking 15 to 18 months.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Right but in life and death situation the state department makes exceptions. I agree having a passport is the best option, but some people take a gamble that they will not need the passport. 

The process is the same regardless of why/how (except you can't get a passport for a dead body).   You get your birth  certificate/proof of citizenship and government ID to the US consulate in person, they issue an emergency passport.   Of course, closed on weekends and holidays.  

13 hours ago, Moviela said:

I agree with you but some folks on this CCL forum will very strongly argue and disagree. 

I have given up since they feel they are right and we are wrong.

I hope all the cruiselines would make it a requirement to have a passport.  Just  my opinion

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I agree with you but some folks on this CCL forum will very strongly argue and disagree. 

I hope all the cruiselines would make it a requirement to have a passport.  Just  my opinion

The cruise lines will never require passports since many if not most cruise passengers will never travel overseas except on a cruise and they view it as an unnecessary expense. So a passport requirement would greatly reduce the number of potential passengers. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo
  • Like 3

Just now, Purvis1231 said:

The cruise lines will never require passports since many if not most cruise passengers will never travel overseas except on a cruise and they view it as an unnecessary expense. So a passport requirement would greatly reduce the number of potential passengers. 

might for a while, but in the end it would still be a good idea because you will be in international waters.

If all the cruise lines do it, then folks will comply.  I mean if you can put out money for a cruise in the first place, then you have the money for passport.  Plus I think once having a passport, then one might finally decide to cruise overseas or travel for a tour.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

might for a while, but in the end it would still be a good idea because you will be in international waters.

If all the cruise lines do it, then folks will comply.  I mean if you can put out money for a cruise in the first place, then you have the money for passport.  Plus I think once having a passport, then one might finally decide to cruise overseas or travel for a tour.

A agree, I have had a passport since I was a college student but most cruisers do not want to put out the money. 

The cruise lines fought hard for the closed-loop cruise exception. The original proposed Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative rule would have required a passport.

It's not hard to figure out why they wanted the exception. It would significantly add to the cost of a cruise. For example, think about the cost of passports for a family of 4 going on a cheap 5 day cruise. It doesn't make sense.  The exception keeps the cruise lines on comparable footing versus domestic land-based vacations.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

55 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

My dad called this "stepping over a dime to pick up a nickel".  There is also the naïve belief that should you run into an emergency outside of the US, that the government will rush to your assistance.  The idea that after suffering a crisis while on vacation that you are still responsible to figure out your return, at your expenses is a reality I hope no one reading this finds out.  The Consulate isn't opening on Sunday to process your paperwork.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

My dad called this "stepping over a dime to pick up a nickel".  There is also the naïve belief that should you run into an emergency outside of the US, that the government will rush to your assistance.  The idea that after suffering a crisis while on vacation that you are still responsible to figure out your return, at your expenses is a reality I hope no one reading this finds out.  The Consulate isn't opening on Sunday to process your paperwork.  

Thankfully, Carnival cruise ship rarely make Sunday ports of call but it is also sad that the US government will not help it own people.