Viking just changed their COVID pre-cruise testing requirements. Will Princess and others eventually follow?

Ken the cruiser

"Therefore, effective immediately, Viking will discontinue all on board COVID testing fleetwide. However, we will continue to provide testing if a guest reports symptoms, requests a test, or if our Medical Team deems necessary. Our vaccine requirement for all guests and crew remains in place—and for the time being, our crew will keep testing as needed and will wear masks at all times.

Additionally, Viking highly recommends, but no longer requires, a pre-departure COVID-19 test—unless one is required by the destination. As of June 10, 2022, select ocean voyages on the Viking Orion and expedition voyages on the Viking Octantis in the United States and Canada will continue to require a pre-departure COVID-19 test. Further details can be found here."

Viking Health & Safety Program (vikingcruises.com)

I guess the USA and Canada are a couple of those "destination countries requiring it". I wonder what other European, Asian, African and/or Australian "cruise embarkation port" countries still require it? Smart move on Viking's part. If the country doesn't require it, why should they?

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Ken the cruiser changed the title to Viking just changed their COVID pre-cruise testing requirements. Will Princess and others eventually follow?

I think the big point here is not doing the daily tests, I think this was just on river cruises. It deterred me for looking at Viking River. The preboard is governed by CDC, don't think Princess has an option. Looks like Viking Ocean from US is still the same as other lines for pre-board testing.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I think the big point here is not doing the daily tests, I think this was just on river cruises. It deterred me for looking at Viking River. The preboard is governed by CDC, don't think Princess has an option. Looks like Viking Ocean from US is still the same as other lines for pre-board testing.

I guess my curiosity is what European countries (UK, Spain, Italy, Greece, Netherlands, Denmark, etc.) actually require cruise ships to test passengers prior to embarking a cruise ship in one of their ports? Anyone even know where one would check if they had the same curiosity?

The only reference I could find was on the NCL website, with Greece currently being the only country requiring a negative test no later that 24 hours prior to boarding.

http://ncl-drupal6.ncl.com:9050/travel-requirements-by-country

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I guess my curiosity is what European countries (UK, Spain, Italy, Greece, Netherlands, Denmark, etc.) actually require cruise ships to test passengers prior to embarking a cruise ship in one of their ports? Anyone even know where one would check if they had the same curiosity?

The only reference I could find was on the NCL website, with Greece currently being the only country requiring a negative test no later that 24 hours prior to boarding.

http://ncl-drupal6.ncl.com:9050/travel-requirements-by-country

And I believe Greece's protocols change on June 15 to eliminate this requirement so I think even countries that recently had such requirements are changing fast.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Viking had been doing daily testing on all their cruises not just the river cruises.

• Like 1

Just now, prmssk said:

Viking had been doing daily testing on all their cruises not just the river cruises.

Thanks, I was told by a person taking a river cruise and thought it was limited to them

I found this regarding the cruise pre-boarding testing requirements for EU countries in the “EU HEALTHY GATEWAYS JOINT ACTION PREPAREDNESS AND ACTION AT POINTS OF ENTRY (PORTS, AIRPORTS, GROUND CROSSINGS), Version 5, June 2022.

5.2. Screening of incoming travellers to the country of embarkation

Passengers who have travelled from abroad to the country of embarkation must comply with the requirements for incoming travellers to the country of embarkation.

In comparison, here’s the Princess link to FAQs regarding embarkation testing requirements for European sailings.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/eu-cruises/

I know this is just wishful thinking, as we’re booked on a cruise on the Regal leaving Barcelona on July 2, but from what I found today, it appears the EU has updated their guidance which hopefully makes the guidance posted on the Princess website in the FAQ section outdated. 🤞🤞

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Bring your "big wallet" when you start pricing Viking as compared to Princess ...

j/s

I get it. We have looked a few itineraries on Viking Ocean and then stop. A friend of mine swears by Viking Ocean and that is the only line she will go on. Ugh... it does look like a great cruise experience though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

No it was a requirement last July on the Viking ocean cruise we took around Bermuda last July.  We spit in a tube every morning for 7 days.  Really wasn't a big deal..

From our perspective, we are so thankful Viking did what they did as someone had to be first to move away from pre-cruise testing!

However, we absolutely have no desire to book a Viking cruise. Sorry, from everything we read and the videos we’ve seen, they just seem too “relaxing” for our taste. 

Im not sure this is a good thing regarding the pre cruise, but on board tests going away seems reasonable, as they likely have data on its usefullness now.  A pre cruise test is still very helpful to our confidence, IMHO.  Perhaps a required self administered test and appersonal attestation would be a practical compromise.

By taking simple precautions and with pre board screening tests, weve cruised 3 times and still have never tested covid positive.  I am not sure current spead rates support no testing before boarding.

Have found Viking Ocean a nice experience.

Edited by Pizzasteve

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I found this regarding the cruise pre-boarding testing requirements for EU countries in the “EU HEALTHY GATEWAYS JOINT ACTION PREPAREDNESS AND ACTION AT POINTS OF ENTRY (PORTS, AIRPORTS, GROUND CROSSINGS), Version 5, June 2022.

5.2. Screening of incoming travellers to the country of embarkation

Passengers who have travelled from abroad to the country of embarkation must comply with the requirements for incoming travellers to the country of embarkation.

In comparison, here’s the Princess link to FAQs regarding embarkation testing requirements for European sailings.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/eu-cruises/

I know this is just wishful thinking, as we’re booked on a cruise on the Regal leaving Barcelona on July 2, but from what I found today, it appears the EU has updated their guidance which hopefully makes the guidance posted on the Princess website in the FAQ section outdated. 🤞🤞

I did some more research and found the following a little farther down in the EU guidelines. Sorry, the 48-72 hour pre-cruise tests are required. I knew it was wishful thinking. The information at paragraph 5.2 relates to “incoming travelers to the country of embarkation”. My bad.

7.4. Testing of passengers on the day of embarkation
All passengers (except children under the age of 12 years) should hold proof of a negative:

 NAAT performed within 72 hours before embarkation, OR
 RADT performed within 48 hours before embarkation

7.5. Routine testing of passengers

Routine testing of passengers is applicable only to cruise ships sailing with less than 95% of the crew members and/or less than 95% of the passengers on board vaccinated or recovered.

For cruises which last up to 7 nights, RADT or NAAT tests should be conducted the third or fourth day of the voyage on all passengers 12 years of age and over who do not have proof of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19. For cruises which last for more than 7 nights, RADT or NAAT test should be conducted on all passengers 12 years of age and over who do not have proof of vaccination or recovery, every 4 days starting from the third or fourth day of the cruise. Transit passengers 12 years of age and over who do not have proof of vaccination or recovery on cruises which last up to 7 nights (i.e. passengers who will stay on board for another cruise) should be tested by RADT or NAAT every 4 days starting from the third or fourth day of the first cruise. An additional RADT or NAAT test may be performed on passengers before disembarkation if the country of disembarkation requires it.

https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EUHG_Operational_guidelines_CoV_June2022.pdf?ver=2022-06-10-140149-413#page26