Sea Food

Not so sure about "the all frozen" part.  I was on a cruise that stopped in Honolulu and the buffet manager went out in the early am and picked up 400 lobster tails.  It was a very good day for a buffet dinner..................................

• Like 1

Just know that unless the seafood is kept alive in transit, it is all frozen.  The first thing the fishing ships do with a catch it put it on ice.  By the time they get back to shore, it's pretty much frozen.  Probably not "hard frozen" like what you get in the grocery store, but it's not exactly fresh like picking your own lobster out of the tank.

• Thanks 1

Reminds me on a 17 night TA on Vision a few years ago, every night the server would announce that the fish of the day was tilapia.  It got to a point that we both laughed when he said it. 

I refuse to eat tilapia. Have you seen what they feed tilapia??  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Reminds me on a 17 night TA on Vision a few years ago, every night the server would announce that the fish of the day was tilapia.  It got to a point that we both laughed when he said it. 

Only eat Wild Caught, not Farmed  Raised Fish

Being raised in the SF Bay Area, with a Grandmother who grew up in the Salinas Valley and worked in SF in the early 1900's, I could eat fish, asparagus, avocado, and artichokes for every.single.meal of the rest of my life and be happy about it.

6 hours ago, orville99 said:

Possibly for the captain, but not for us mere mortals.

Yes. The captain often gets "gifts" from pilots. Unsure how that passes FDA regulations. Otherwise there was no fresh fish (at all) on our cruise last week and the cooks destroyed the frozen fish they attempted to cook. It was really sad. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. The captain often gets "gifts" from pilots. Unsure how that passes FDA regulations. Otherwise there was no fresh fish (at all) on our cruise last week and the cooks destroyed the frozen fish they attempted to cook. It was really sad. 

We have been in the fishmonger (Seafood Atlantic) in Port Canaveral several times when the head chef from either Carnival or RCL came in to fill the captain's seafood order.

18 hours ago, pcur said:

Not so sure about "the all frozen" part.  I was on a cruise that stopped in Honolulu and the buffet manager went out in the early am and picked up 400 lobster tails.  It was a very good day for a buffet dinner..................................

The only exceptions to the USPH rule that all protein come on frozen are things that must be kept alive until cooking, like whole lobster and molluscan shellfish (clams, oysters, mussels)

17 hours ago, rudeney said:

Just know that unless the seafood is kept alive in transit, it is all frozen.  The first thing the fishing ships do with a catch it put it on ice.  By the time they get back to shore, it's pretty much frozen.  Probably not "hard frozen" like what you get in the grocery store, but it's not exactly fresh like picking your own lobster out of the tank.

Yep.  Early mornings in Portland harbor, you see the fishing boats loading tons of ice before going out.  Certain species are "flash frozen" in blast chillers on the boats.

• Like 1

Back when I had a sailboat on the gulf coast, we'd occasionally catch a shrimp boat coming back into port and they sell directly to us.  They would always scoop off the top of the catch and most of the shrimp were still live.  10 minutes later, they were in the pot on my stove.   That is what I consider "fresh seafood".

19 hours ago, pcur said:

A few years ago on our Anthem NE/Canada sail, the night we left Bar Harbour Maine, the MDR had whole lobsters on the menu.  This was in addition to lobster night.  It was a very pleasant and delicious surprise and the lobsters were not frozen.🙂

The next day, the MDR luncheon menu had lobster rolls.  We were excited and assumed that they had excess lobsters, however so disappointed as it tasted with some seafood and very little lobster.  It was blah and did no justice to the lobster roll.  Not even close to the one that we had in Portland, Maine.

Edited by nelblu

18 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Same as farmed salmon, nastiness. All tilapia is farmed but the telltale sign for farmed salmon, in Canada anyway, is when it's referred to as "Atlantic Salmon". 

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

The next day, the MDR luncheon menu had lobster rolls.  We were excited and assumed that they had excess lobsters, however so disappointed as it tasted with some seafood and very little lobster.  It was blah and did no justice to the lobster roll.  Not even close to the one that we had in Portland, Maine.

Ohhhhh, we had that on a ship, too, in the Windjammer.  My husband found them and came to tell me.  LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of lobster rolls.  Heaven!