Cruise Directors

Sny

On 6/16/2022 at 4:42 AM, ToxM said:

I had issues with her husband’s humour. As he is the ship comedian this wasn’t optimal. I can imagine it is a bit of a conflict of interest with your boss being your spouse, so expect that is why the situation is allowed to continue. 

Dottie’s husband Tom Drake now has a very funny and informative daily podcast which contains news about the cruise and travel industry. I enjoy it very much… actually better than his comedy shows. Tom Drake’s Best at Sea podcasts are available on all the usual podcast platforms.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, golfguyhhi said:

Nolan left Viking in mid-cruise in the Philippines, then joined and left Silver Seas while cruising had been halted.  He is now working in the mortgage industry and living (very happily) in Johnson City, Tennessee, where he now has full custody of his daughter.   We sailed with Nolan (and his then-fiancée, Elle Adda) several times.  He was our favorite CD and we certainly miss him.  We've been in touch with him since he left the industry -- which is how we know he is very happy.

That’s good to hear. As a Brit I found him very funny and approachable, his fiancé was a fantastic singer really friendly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sailfar said:

Tom Drake is excellent.  Picks up material onboard for humor.  Truly talented.   Creates great material and leads great how to do comedy lectures.

Yes, he did 3 performances on Sirena in November 2022. The first was impromptu, as the sound and visual system was glitching so they had him come up at an event he wasn't supposed to be performing at. He did his comedy lecture near the end in the afternoon. Was fascinating to have him tell the backstories behind some jokes and how "comedy works" or doesn't, at sea or in the clubs. Very funny, very friendly comic.

On 6/16/2022 at 1:42 AM, ToxM said:

I had issues with her husband’s humour. As he is the ship comedian this wasn’t optimal. I can imagine it is a bit of a conflict of interest with your boss being your spouse, so expect that is why the situation is allowed to continue. 

I disagree. I’m sure he is contracted out just as every other employee is and is gracious enough to fill in when everyone else wants to go home for the holidays. It is by no means easy getting performers on ships these days of when young folks have the pick of jobs. 

4 minutes ago, jescott54 said:

I disagree. I’m sure he is contracted out just as every other employee is and is gracious enough to fill in when everyone else wants to go home for the holidays. It is by no means easy getting performers on ships these days of when young folks have the pick of jobs. 

Maybe thats why they keep him 

6 minutes ago, jescott54 said:

LOL

All the staff want to be home for the holidays  so how does that work when they have a contract  that say they are there  for X number of months  ?

• Like 1

Ray Carr is indeed on Insignia as we speak  and will be on board for most, if not all, of the world cruise (we're only on for the first segment (MIA-SFO)).  He is great and runs a mean Team Trivia.  I believe at least part of his perceived "absence" was the result of having to spend 9 months in Bali when the pandemic hit and Oceania shut down operations worldwide.

2 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

Ray Carr is indeed on Insignia as we speak  and will be on board for most, if not all, of the world cruise (we're only on for the first segment (MIA-SFO)).  He is great and runs a mean Team Trivia.  I believe at least part of his perceived "absence" was the result of having to spend 9 months in Bali when the pandemic hit and Oceania shut down operations worldwide.

Dottie Kulasa will be on a portion of the Insignia world cruise, according to her husband Tom Drake speaking on his podcast. Likely the last portion, as they are on the Sirena for a few more weeks, then after some time off will join the Insignia.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Does John have a surname??

John Clelford is the CD.  Most people don't remember his last name.  We were on with him for 33 days starting Nov 1.  Obviously he's still there and just as engaging. 🙄  The assistant CD, Marcus, was a blast.💥  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Robjame said:

Paul Baya leaves Riviera on Jan 31. He goes home for awhile and then joins Vista for he inaugural cruises. He rejoins Riviera for her eastern cruises.

Will he be CD on Riviera in Oct-Nov 2023 for the Med cruises? Hope so. Hope to see him again then.

On 1/12/2023 at 9:54 PM, Robjame said:

Paul Baya leaves Riviera on Jan 31. He goes home for awhile and then joins Vista for he inaugural cruises. He rejoins Riviera for her eastern cruises.

Who will replace him on Riviera for February onward?

We're not usually focused on Cruise Directors BUT! We really enjoyed Corey Powell on our extended cruise through the South Pacific. His Coreyoke is so fun and that's saying something because we don't regularly attend later night venues.  

• Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 9:39 AM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

So I'm a little lost. Could someone please match the CD's to the correct ship for me?

Regatta? 

Insignia?

Sirena?

Nautica?

Marina?

Riviera? 

Ray Carr 

Peter (Carson??)

John Clelford

Dottie Kulasa

Paul Baya

Who else?

Regatta....Peter. not the Peter with the shoes.  We just returned last night so my information is still packed. Will fish it out later.   He was pretty good. British. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Ray Carr will be on the Insignia until Dubai.Then Dottie will be on until New York. Then Ray will return and do the trip to Iceland and back., then will transfer to join the new Vista.

Is he going to be on Vista for Founders Cruise??

Jancruz1

No

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Is he going to be on Vista for Founders Cruise??

Jancruz1

Hi Jan!

No, Ray will be on vacation then.  He’ll be joining Vista around the end of September, I believe on a Montreal to Miami cruise…