Have Crown Princess problems been resolved?

darstamp

Have been reading about the problems with Crown Princess.  We are scheduled to sail from Vancouver to California and back in September and our final payment is due June 24th.  Should we cancel?

25 minutes ago, darstamp said:

Have been reading about the problems with Crown Princess.  We are scheduled to sail from Vancouver to California and back in September and our final payment is due June 24th.  Should we cancel?

yes

Probably the best thing to do is ask those currently on the ship.  Here is the current cruise thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2855414-crown-june-11th/

A poster says engines are running, but there is an issue with a shaft or propeller, not making speed. I cannot state this as a fact, although it has been making 18 knots. If it's a shaft or propeller, seems to me it would be a drydock repair. Some here know how to look up repair schedule, I don't.

But if you're asking yes or no, then I would shift my reservation unless you find a repair date. At least you are aware of the problem and can make a decision. Sorry for those who are not on a cruise board, show up and discover itinerery cuts.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, darstamp said:

It would depend on your expectations. Plenty of disgruntled guests on recent Crown voyages.    

2 hours ago, darstamp said:

We have a booking on the Crown in late September 2023, and I'm wondering about that. I ran a search on "crown" and "propulsion" and the Crown's woes go back at least to January 2020. I know cruises weren't running for months on end, but it surely looks to me like they could have fixed this by now. Not sure what to do on that booking. Wait and see, I suppose.

28 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

We have a booking on the Crown in late September 2023, and I'm wondering about that. I ran a search on "crown" and "propulsion" and the Crown's woes go back at least to January 2020. I know cruises weren't running for months on end, but it surely looks to me like they could have fixed this by now. Not sure what to do on that booking. Wait and see, I suppose.

Hoping it will be fixed in dry dock this October 2022.  It will be doing long cruises in Nov roundtrip to the South Pacific and Hawaii.

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Hoping it will be fixed in dry dock this October 2022.  It will be doing long cruises in Nov roundtrip to the South Pacific and Hawaii.

I've been wondering about that one as well! Hopefully, they'll get a permanent fix on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcsSharon said:

Just got off the Crown..CANCEL….what a disaster…at one point we weren’t moving at all. Missed and late arrivals in port…total waste of money on a dream vacation..more like a nightmare.

Strange, no thread from the June 4th sailing.  What happened on that sailing that was different than my postings about the May 28?  

we stopped for about 30 mins in glacier bay.  Got to Juneau at 530 (got notice of this and no icy point two days before embarkment). Got to Victoria at 7.

4 hours ago, darstamp said:

We have heard that it is going into drydock on October 2nd. 

Just off the Crown last Saturday...very disappointed with leadership decisions to keep this ship in service. As stated by so many last month, the crew is outstanding, working so hard to please the guest.  So many excursion cancellations due to late port arrivals.  Sunday was an intended sea day, Monday turned into a sea day because we did not get to Juneau until around 5 PM, Thursday was a scheduled sea day, and Friday turned into a sea day since we arrived in Victoria around 8pm (engines could not overcome head winds over night). On Monday all the MDRs were closed for lunch which just overwhelmed the Horizon Court and the grills.  We only had Afternoon Tea twice.   We were a family group of 13 that practiced very good mask protocol, and since leaving the ship on Saturday 8 of the 13 have tested positive.  We left one in Seattle.  IMHO it was not the cruise that we were looking for, and given hind sight I would wait.  This may have been our last Princess Cruise!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Can you supply a link for this bit of news?

We are planned on the Sept 22nd to Oct 2nd Cruise. 

The is a long planned dry dock scheduled, in Oregon,  on the 2nd and she should be out for the Hawaii Cruise on the 18th.   There is a dry dock post, and our friend the Crown is listed at #3.

We are so hoping that they cancel one of the upcoming Alaska cruises before and just get the current problems taken care of, and do the regular dry dock stuff in October.   

Edited by Valiamo

Caribbean Princess had similar problems several years ago and the problem started not that long after a drydock. Thus I believe it went for about 18 months in this mode until the next drydock. It is usually one of the several generators that isn’t working limiting electrical output when they want to move close to full speed. Everything is run by electricity on these ships, it isn’t like an engine is connected to a driveshaft and propeller.

I would suspect that it will be fixed in drydock in October so the Vancouver to California round trip will be just before and the Vancouver to Hawaii round trip will be just after.

7 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Can you supply a link for this bit of news?

DRYDOCK/WETDOCKSCHEDULE

MOST RECENT

Caribbean Princess April 7 - 25, 2022  Portland

April 13 - May 11, 2019

Coral Princess December 1 - December 15, 2021  Cadiz January 21 - January 30, 2019
Crown Princess

October 2 - 19, 2022

Portland January 6 - 20, 2021
Diamond Princess January 22 - 30, 2022  Singapore January 19 - February 1, 2019 
Emerald Princess October 10 - 26, 2022  Brest March 29 - April 14, 2019
Enchanted Princess March 25 - April 15, 2023 Marseille N/A
Grand Princess April 25 - May 11, 2022  Portland March 5 - March 18, 2019
Island Princess August 17 - 31, 2021 Marseille November 26 - December 6, 2017
Majestic Princess September 26 - October 3, 2023  Ogden Point February 24 - March 11, 2020
Regal Princess April 16 - 30, 2022 Marseille April 17 - April 30, 2017
Royal Princess October 3 - 15, 2021  Singapore December 1 - December 7, 2018
Ruby Princess October 3 - 15, 2021  Portland September 30 - October 14, 2018
Sapphire Princess April 10 - May 1, 2023 Portland December 31 - January 17, 2021

7 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

DRYDOCK/WETDOCKSCHEDULE

MOST RECENT

Caribbean Princess April 7 - 25, 2022  Portland

April 13 - May 11, 2019

Coral Princess December 1 - December 15, 2021  Cadiz January 21 - January 30, 2019
Crown Princess

October 2 - 19, 2022

Portland January 6 - 20, 2021
Diamond Princess January 22 - 30, 2022  Singapore January 19 - February 1, 2019 
Emerald Princess October 10 - 26, 2022  Brest March 29 - April 14, 2019
Enchanted Princess March 25 - April 15, 2023 Marseille N/A
Grand Princess April 25 - May 11, 2022  Portland March 5 - March 18, 2019
Island Princess August 17 - 31, 2021 Marseille November 26 - December 6, 2017
Majestic Princess September 26 - October 3, 2023  Ogden Point February 24 - March 11, 2020
Regal Princess April 16 - 30, 2022 Marseille April 17 - April 30, 2017
Royal Princess October 3 - 15, 2021  Singapore December 1 - December 7, 2018
Ruby Princess October 3 - 15, 2021  Portland September 30 - October 14, 2018
Sapphire Princess April 10 - May 1, 2023 Portland December 31 - January 17, 2021

Is there any way to find out what they will do on the dry dock? Specifically Emerald Thank you

19 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

Is there any way to find out what they will do on the dry dock? Specifically Emerald Thank you

I wish there was.  The only thing we have found, is you can ask crew if your

ob.  They may have an idea.  We asked about the CB before it went in dry dock and crew told us a few things.  If it’s a refurbish, of course a lot more will be done.  

18 hours ago, MarcsSharon said:

Just got off the Crown..CANCEL….what a disaster…at one point we weren’t moving at all. Missed and late arrivals in port…total waste of money on a dream vacation..more like a nightmare.

I was on the Crown a month ago and I don't recall any problems.  Made all the ports on time, etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HogTide said:

Just off the Crown last Saturday...very disappointed with leadership decisions to keep this ship in service. As stated by so many last month, the crew is outstanding, working so hard to please the guest.  So many excursion cancellations due to late port arrivals.  Sunday was an intended sea day, Monday turned into a sea day because we did not get to Juneau until around 5 PM, Thursday was a scheduled sea day, and Friday turned into a sea day since we arrived in Victoria around 8pm (engines could not overcome head winds over night). On Monday all the MDRs were closed for lunch which just overwhelmed the Horizon Court and the grills.  We only had Afternoon Tea twice.   We were a family group of 13 that practiced very good mask protocol, and since leaving the ship on Saturday 8 of the 13 have tested positive.  We left one in Seattle.  IMHO it was not the cruise that we were looking for, and given hind sight I would wait.  This may have been our last Princess Cruise!!

Agree with everything you stated. Myself and my son texted positive on Sunday. This ship should not be sailing and yet, Princess continues to take peoples money knowing they cannot deliver. 

7 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

I was on the Crown a month ago and I don't recall any problems.  Made all the ports on time, etc.

Did you sail in May? Was that the reduced times in port you made and the adjusted itinerary? I guess you booked not realizing the schedule change.

On 6/13/2022 at 1:04 PM, darstamp said:

I’m also booked for this sailing so following the Crown closely both here and on Facebook. I still plan on making final payment and going. Here are my thoughts. It’s a 10 day round trip cruise that for me, does not include any flights.( I live in Victoria do it’s a ferry ride away) I have been to all the ports before and apart from LA, not really planning any excursions. I will Not  be heartbroken if the ports are shortened or canceled, I’m travelling with 12 family and friends and really look forward to the ship and sea days the most. From what I read, the crew has been awesome, activities still going on, food is being prepared for me and I have the beverage package!! My worry is that the cruise will be canceled outright. Will I be out any money? Maybe insurance?? That being said, I will get a full refund and possibly some FCC for the trouble. If I was doing a bucket list cruise to Alaska, or this was a once in a lifetime destination, I would cancel. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lulubelle45 said:

I’m also booked for this sailing so following the Crown closely both here and on Facebook. I still plan on making final payment and going. Here are my thoughts. It’s a 10 day round trip cruise that for me, does not include any flights.( I live in Victoria do it’s a ferry ride away) I have been to all the ports before and apart from LA, not really planning any excursions. I will Not  be heartbroken if the ports are shortened or canceled, I’m travelling with 12 family and friends and really look forward to the ship and sea days the most. From what I read, the crew has been awesome, activities still going on, food is being prepared for me and I have the beverage package!! My worry is that the cruise will be canceled outright. Will I be out any money? Maybe insurance?? That being said, I will get a full refund and possibly some FCC for the trouble. If I was doing a bucket list cruise to Alaska, or this was a once in a lifetime destination, I would cancel. Hope that helps. 

I was on the same sailing as a couple previous posters 6/4 and knowing in advance the shortened itineraries had a marvelous time. 
The Crown does have an outstanding crew and there was so much planned entertainment. Even the 20 year old in our group stayed busy. 
I think you will have a great time in the ports, yes it was a little rushed in Juneau but we did whale watching for 2 hours on a boat and saw a bunch of orcas and humpbacks. In Skagway there was plenty of time to do 2 excursions and wonder around downtown. You will love glacier bay. 
in our group of 6 no covid, I have tested 2 times since back.

Go with a great attitude and you will enjoy your self. Have a wonderful cruise

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vikkster said:

I was on the same sailing as a couple previous posters 6/4 and knowing in advance the shortened itineraries had a marvelous time. 
The Crown does have an outstanding crew and there was so much planned entertainment. Even the 20 year old in our group stayed busy. 
I think you will have a great time in the ports, yes it was a little rushed in Juneau but we did whale watching for 2 hours on a boat and saw a bunch of orcas and humpbacks. In Skagway there was plenty of time to do 2 excursions and wonder around downtown. You will love glacier bay. 
in our group of 6 no covid, I have tested 2 times since back.

Go with a great attitude and you will enjoy your self. Have a wonderful cruise

I'm glad it worked out for you. All of our Juneau excursions got cancelled, in fact, we had a total of 4 excursions cancelled, now I'm waiting and hoping my check for over $1,000 comes. On our May 21st cruise they had very little entertainment as most of the entertainment staff was out due to covid including Jodie the cruise director.