Butler, what Butler?

B x

On our June 5th sailing, our butler wouldn't even empty the mini-fridge, saying to just leave the for-purchase items in there. Disappointing.

We like our drinks cold so emptied it ourselves and put it overhead. Glad we weren't charged for them.

10 minutes ago, Veinless said:

On our June 5th sailing, our butler wouldn't even empty the mini-fridge, saying to just leave the for-purchase items in there. Disappointing.

We like our drinks cold so emptied it ourselves and put it overhead. Glad we weren't charged for them.

There seems to be a lot of differences at the moment. I do wonder if staffing levels/new staff is having an impact? If staffing is down perhaps the suite managers are instructing PRH to only complete standard tasks…This could be in total contrast to a few months ago when ships were sailing with few guests and staff would have ample time to really look after each guest.

As Happy Cruiser says situations like this are best investigated on board. One of two possibilities spring to mind, a less than satisfactory PRH or a management directive based on the present situation on some ships…

23 minutes ago, Veinless said:

Yikes. Isn’t there also a cabin steward?  He or she is the person who does that in non-suites. (I’m not defending the response you got from your butler.) 

20 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Isn't that everyone in suites now? I thought the Premium Beverage Package is included with Suite booking.

It is but there are still ways to book a suite with "Simply Sail" that doesn't include, the drinks package, gratuities, OBC and Wi-Fi on some sailings.  But on the Equinox our PRH was very specific that the soda, beer, premium bottled water and wine in the Fridge were included with the Premium Drinks Package. We never were charged any extra for any of them.  We drank about 4 of the 16oz Evian bottled waters every day too.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Your butler should have been doing all that.  When he/she doesn't, you should let the suite manager know.  If Celebrity doesn't know about a problem, they can't fix it and the next occupant of that cabin gets stuck with that butler who is not willing to do the job.  Talking about it after the cruise on Cruise Critic is not a solution to the problem.

The purpose of this board is to let others know what is actually occurring onboard.  People can read all the reviews and make the decision for themselves.  If nothing sour appears on these boards, I feel that we would feel that the comments are not accurate.  This board is called Cruise CRITIC for a reason.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, justcrusn said:

“For tea, ask your Retreat Host to bring an electric key kettle and tea bags, and you can make your own tea whenever you feel like it.”

That doesn’t sound like modern luxury to me….

Your butler will bring freshly made tea and speciality coffee to your room any time of day….The reason for the above comment was, I think, because some guests like to make their own in suite.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, justcrusn said:

“For tea, ask your Retreat Host to bring an electric key kettle and tea bags, and you can make your own tea whenever you feel like it.”

That doesn’t sound like modern luxury to me….

We Brits tend to like our tea very hot which is sometimes difficult for PRH to do so a kettle gives us freedom to make our own when we want. Whether in RS or balcony we always request a kettle

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

We Brits tend to like our tea very hot which is sometimes difficult for PRH to do so a kettle gives us freedom to make our own when we want. Whether in RS or balcony we always request a kettle

Definitely a British thing…We invariably ask for our tea tray set up through the shoreside concierge…I remember boarding one cruise in Sydney when our butler had set up our tea tray but then kept saying “I can bring it, no need to do yourselves”…

Same cruise we had booked a suite overlooking the harbour with self catering facilities pre cruise and post cruise. When we boarded we had a range of snacks including Pringles, nuts, biscuits etc. Our selection even included a couple of pot noodles. It had seemed silly to bin them when we were returning to the same set up…I just put them at the back of the wet bar out of the way. Butler comes with our afternoon snack and is most perturbed….”I can bring you snacks, all restaurants for you free of charge, we have cookies, we have cakes, just tell me what you want….”. He obviously thought we had boarded expecting to need to supplement our calorific intake…

• Like 2

My Beyond repositioning sailing has 5 days at sea in the Caribbean. That’s a lot of mornings when I don’t have to wake up for any particular reason. 
If I want a cafe au lait delivered after I wake up do I text or call the butler? Or do I have to go to Cafe al Bacio and get it myself? 

If I want a glass of bourbon over ice while my wife is getting dressed for dinner do I get it myself or can the butler bring me a bottle of Bulleit on my first day, a clean glass daily and a filled ice bucket daily so I can pour it myself? 

If we like a water bottle (not box) on the nightstand each evening can the butler do this?

I’m pretty sure that’s all I want the butler to do but the bottle of liquor won’t happen.

The bottle of bourbon would be easier for the butler and cost the same as if a bartender poured it for me when I want it, but they wouldn’t do it.

Of course I could preorder a bottle setup but why would I pay for that when I have the premium bev package?

Rules rules rules. Not always logical. 

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 1

It would be interesting to see what type of suites everyone posting here were in for their sailing.  We have sailed in SS, CS & RS and there is no question that the better the suite the better our service was form our butler.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

My Beyond repositioning sailing has 5 days at sea in the Caribbean. That’s a lot of mornings when I don’t have to wake up for any particular reason. 
If I want a cafe au lait delivered after I wake up do I text or call the butler? Or do I have to go to Cafe al Bacio and get it myself? 

If I want a glass of bourbon over ice while my wife is getting dressed for dinner do I get it myself or can the butler bring me a bottle of Bulleit on my first day, a clean glass daily and a filled ice bucket daily so I can pour it myself? 

If we like a water bottle (not box) on the nightstand each evening can the butler do this?

I’m pretty sure that’s all I want the butler to do but the bottle of liquor won’t happen.

The bottle of bourbon would be easier for the butler and cost the same as if a bartender poured it for me when I want it, but they wouldn’t do it.

Of course I could preorder a bottle setup but why would I pay for that when I have the premium bev package?

You could pick up your bourbon during your time out of your room and as long as you have ice —no problem . No need to bother anyone. Regarding the coffee you will normally get a jug of coffee with milk or cream on the side from room service.

3 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

It would be interesting to see what type of suites everyone posting here were in for their sailing.  We have sailed in SS, CS & RS and there is no question that the better the suite the better our service was form our butler.

We have only booked Sky Suites, they have all the room and amenities that we need. I have not found our service from the Butlers to ever be lacking. My sister has sailed in Sky Suites, Celebrity Suites and Edge Villas, she told me the service from their butlers was just as excellent in all.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I think this is relevant. Higher suites do have more in suite perks…

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Your coffee will be delivered to your room. If you pre set a time with your PRH it will arrive at that time. Alternatively you can phone as you wake up and expect about a 10/15 minute delay. Could be less could be slightly more, remember they are juggling your coffee delivery with full in suite breakfast orders.

Unless you are in a RS or above your butler will not provide spirits in your room by the bottle. 

Even in higher suites guests do not usually phone their butlers to request in suite drinks delivery. We frequently cruise higher suites and if we fancy a pre dinner balcony drink we haven’t got in our room we go and get it.

Your butler may be able to arrange a water bottle each evening on your nightstand, ask and see. If not just pick one up during the day or if your preferred water bottle is not available in some bars just ask in the Retreat Lounge…

One of the reasons we book RS or above is we do like the in suite bar set up…If that is important for you then consider either ordering one or upgrading. Following your reasoning if all suite guests, or indeed all guests with a premium package, requested an in suite bar set up prices would be rising…

RS and above are more expensive because of the extras they provide…We have cruised in suites that have not provided a bar set up and simply paid for one as (like you) we knew we would get pleasure from simply having it in our suite…

I do see your logic but I also understand the rules as to what is/is not included in the premium beverage package…

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Your coffee will be delivered to your room. If you pre set a time with your PRH it will arrive at that time. Alternatively you can phone as you wake up and expect about a 10/15 minute delay. Could be less could be slightly more, remember they are juggling your coffee delivery with full in suite breakfast orders.

The Butler will usually call your cabin when he is on his way to deliver your breakfast or pot of coffee, so that you are not caught by surprise. 

• Like 1