Butler, what Butler?

B x

No idea if it's across the fleet or introduced since we last cruised pre pandemic, but no Butler's on Reflection,  instead 'Personal Retreat Hosts' who seem to do very little as far as I can tell, in fact almost invisible, seen ours twice in three days. 

Rang and asked for afternoon tea in our suite and was told if we wanted it go to Michael’s. Exactly the same reaction when asked for Luminea breakfast which is advertised as an in-suite option, also told only in-suit evening dining option was regular room service from the TV menu. Have had to ask each day for ice, was a time they did it automatically soon as they realised you liked to have it.

Cabin and dining staff remain helpful and friendly as always and staff levels seem good. As mentioned day three and Captain announced first covid cases on ship which is 95% capacity and feels that way.

Sad to say really unimpressed and will be having a few words in someone's shell like as feel suite guests, certainly in our part of the ship are being sold short. 

• Thanks 1

Our experience on Reflection in November could not have been more different.  Our Retreat Host (simple a new title for the Butler) did all sorts of special things for us and the others around us.  We never asked for Luminae in the room, but we wanted for nothing.

• Like 1

The Butlers were retitled to Retreat Hosts but have the same duties.

We have had 2 sailing on the Reflection and our Hosts were both excellent.

In the afternoon from 2 30- 4, I think most of the Hosts are assigned to the Retreat Lounge to set up serve the afternoon tea, sandwiches and other beverages and snacks.

We just arrange with our Host a time either before of after to bring us a cheese plate or other snack.

If you haven’t met with your Host to explain what you would like and how to make that possible with their schedule that might be a starting point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The name Butler and the Name Michael's were changed about 2 years ago.   Your Butler is now called a Personal Retreat Host (albeit on my phone it still said butler) and does the exact same duties as they did in the past.  My understanding the name was changed to reflect what they can do as some guests were intimidated by a "Butler".   No it's not going to be like Downton Abbey but I have seen very little change in how they provide services to you.    As others said If I had anyone tell me to do as the OP I would talk to the Hotel Director and the Suites Manager.

Michaels's of course changed names many years ago to The Retreat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I completely understand your frustration. Celebrity is so very, very proud of their suites (based on the prices they charge). You should be able to get whatever you want, whenever you want it.

Maybe if you asked for your personal retreat host's contact number at the very beginning of the cruise, and his manager's name and number as well, you would get better service. Just a thought. . .

By better service I mean that the retreat host will probably make sure that he knows what you would like and you can have a dialog about how to work it into his schedule.

Edited by Tudy
additional information

3 minutes ago, Tudy said:

I completely understand your frustration. Celebrity is so very, very proud of their suites (based on the prices they charge). You should be able to get whatever you want, whenever you want it.

Maybe if you asked for your personal retreat host's contact number at the very beginning of the cruise, and his manager's name and number as well, you would get better service. Just a thought. . .

The PRH is supposed to give guests their phone numbers when they introduce themselves. It is on their business card which they should be handing out.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, C-Dragons said:

The PRH is supposed to give guests their phone numbers when they introduce themselves.

On our Summit cruise in March our there was a card on the desk with our retreat hosts information.

• Like 1

For breakfast you can order using the breakfast order form that you can hang outside your door the evening before. 

You can write in breakfast menu items not listed, and they'll likely prepare it for you unless it's not available.

For tea, ask your Retreat Host to bring an electric key kettle and tea bags, and you can make your own tea whenever you feel like it.

• Like 1

Just now, CalTexCruiser said:

For breakfast you can order using the breakfast order form that you can hang outside your door the evening before. 

You can write in breakfast menu items not listed, and they'll likely prepare it for you unless it's not available.

For tea, ask your Retreat Host to bring an electric key kettle and tea bags, and you can make your own tea whenever you feel like it.

I think the OP wants afternoon tea delivered to the suite, they stopped this a couple of years ago I believe we never have it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tudy said:

You should be able to get whatever you want, whenever you want it.

Anyone with that expectation should prepare themselves for disappointment.

As for the number, it's on a card in the room (and may also be handed to you).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Anyone with that expectation should prepare themselves for disappointment.

As for the number, it's on a card in the room (and may also be handed to you).

I am considering the cost to benefit rate. Suites often cost several thousand more than a veranda. For that amount of money I expect something more, some special treatment. The last couple times I was in a suite I decided that the cost was not justified.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The name Butler and the Name Michael's were changed about 2 years ago.   Your Butler is now called a Personal Retreat Host (albeit on my phone it still said butler) and does the exact same duties as they did in the past.  My understanding the name was changed to reflect what they can do as some guests were intimidated by a "Butler".   No it's not going to be like Downton Abbey but I have seen very little change in how they provide services to you.    As others said If I had anyone tell me to do as the OP I would talk to the Hotel Director and the Suites Manager.

Michaels's of course changed names many years ago to The Retreat.

Michael’s is still called Michael’s on Reflection. Maybe the name has only changed for the ships that have been revolutionized or the Edge class ships?

24 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

I think the OP wants afternoon tea delivered to the suite, they stopped this a couple of years ago I believe we never have it.

It's still advertised as available in suite upon request.  

I've never understood room service from Luminae as being standard.  I have read here that some have had the experience as well as being able to get SR delivered for in-room dining.  I believe these are 1 off and probably only happen for upper suites.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

I was just trying to offer some suggestions to hopefully help turn their experience around.

Why make yourself miserable with unmet expectations when you can take practical steps to make the rest of the trip more enjoyable.

On our last cruise our Retreat Host had to cover 18 suites.

The cruise before that the Retreat Host had to cover 14 suites.

They try hard but they are not super-humans.

• Like 4

We have cruised 4 times since the pandemic and since  Silhouette was revolutionised. To be fair that has been in upper suites but all our "buttlers" have been great.

We are sailing on Reflection in a couple of weeks. This will be our first cruise in a quite a few years not out of Southampton on Silly or Eclipse and 7 years since we were last on Reflection so I look forward to comparing the experience and will report back here in a "live from".

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Same here. Never had bad service on any X ship.

Same here even though we are not Suite passengers as we would not benefit from the services offered.

( Pinboy doesn't have patience to wait for services that can easily be done by himself ---- except, maybe ( ??? ) call our Retreat Host and wait 1 hr and 60 minutes for him/her to turn on the water for " you know who's " bath ).

45 minutes ago, Tudy said:

I am considering the cost to benefit rate. Suites often cost several thousand more than a veranda. For that amount of money I expect something more, some special treatment. The last couple times I was in a suite I decided that the cost was not justified.

I agree that the cost of the Suites can be expensive, but we have found that when other intangible factors are figured in, they are worth it. 

• Like 4

As others mentioned, the Butler has changed titles to Personal Retreat Host.  Had one on the Edge and Apex.  Both were outstanding.  They responded when I called them on the phone number on their business card in the Suite.

They also served breakfast that I had requested (via on screen TV) the previous evening.  Can't remember the menu, but I believe it was similar to what you'd order if you dined in Luminae.  Matter of fact, they allowed me to make a custom order.....I wanted avocado toast, which they delivered.  I didn't remember seeing that in the Luminae.  Again, you just have to ask to see what they can or can't do, mostly via the phone number...sometimes when you would see them in the hall ways (mine always carried a little notepad as a reminder).

As far as tea is concerned, I guess it depends on the kind you order.  If it's something they don't have, I can see them requiring you to go to Micheal's/Retreat.  But overall, if they can do it, they will do it (within reason).

I know my Personal Retreat Hose brought beer and sodas to me every day because I had requested it.  They picked up and delivered laundry.  Really did everything I asked.  You just have to let them know what you want.

3 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I agree that the cost of the Suites can be expensive, but we have found that when other intangible factors are figured in, they are worth it. 

Agreed.  But, last summer, when I was sailing the Edge and Apex, the cost for a Sky Suite was about the same as a Jr Suite on Royal.  After adding in the large amount of OBC, tips included, drink package, etc, it was actually much less expensive than sailing Royal's Jr Suite.

Not sure where pricing is now, though.  Probably fares are more, given they're opening up, more.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

No it's not going to be like Downton Abbey ...

I can confirm this.  Thomas has taken a job with a Hollywood actor, so Carson is now 'unretired' and back working at Downton -- so I guess no chance of seeing him on Reflection in October.

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Agreed.  But, last summer, when I was sailing the Edge and Apex, the cost for a Sky Suite was about the same as a Jr Suite on Royal.  After adding in the large amount of OBC, tips included, drink package, etc, it was actually much less expensive than sailing Royal's Jr Suite.

Not sure where pricing is now, though.  Probably fares are more, given they're opening up, more.

Just before the pandemic we did 14 days in a Sky Suite on the Equinox and 14 days in a Grand Suite on RCL Allure of the Seas, both in the Caribbean and within five weeks of each other. The Allure was $1500 p.p. cheaper than the Equinox. The 11am to 11pm drinks available in the Suite Lounge, on the Allure more than met our meager drink needs. The internet isn’t high on our needs list and the obc is not needed either as we spend very little, to no money once we board, everything we need or want is prepaid.

We got more than enough obc from the travel agent to cover the gratuities.