Butler, what Butler?

B x

6 hours ago, B x said:

No idea if it's across the fleet or introduced since we last cruised pre pandemic, but no Butler's on Reflection,  instead 'Personal Retreat Hosts' who seem to do very little as far as I can tell, in fact almost invisible, seen ours twice in three days. 

Rang and asked for afternoon tea in our suite and was told if we wanted it go to Michael’s. Exactly the same reaction when asked for Luminea breakfast which is advertised as an in-suite option, also told only in-suit evening dining option was regular room service from the TV menu. Have had to ask each day for ice, was a time they did it automatically soon as they realised you liked to have it.

Cabin and dining staff remain helpful and friendly as always and staff levels seem good. As mentioned day three and Captain announced first covid cases on ship which is 95% capacity and feels that way.

Sad to say really unimpressed and will be having a few words in someone's shell like as feel suite guests, certainly in our part of the ship are being sold short. 

It seems to me there are two issues here…

Firstly you are expecting to receive items like a full  Luminae Breakfast menu, afternoon tea and  Luminae dinner in suite, none of which are generally provided. We  cruise mainly in RS/PH and do not expect any  of these. If we want afternoon tea delivered daily we would pre arrange it, we would only order breakfast items off the suite menu. If we want to enjoy dinner in our suite and would like something not from the MDR we would discuss and request 24 hours before.

Secondly there does seem to be a communication issue. No excuses, if you have requested fresh ice twice daily it should be done. Totally agree with 

28 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

You need to contact the suite manager to rectify this issue.  Instead of fussing on Cruise Critic, which will accomplish nothing.

OP, in our experience, communicating with your Retreat Host is key. Letting them know in advance if you want something above general service (like afternoon tea in suite) and they will do their best to provide… 

• Like 6

On 6/15/2022 at 10:19 AM, B x said:

No idea if it's across the fleet or introduced since we last cruised pre pandemic, but no Butler's on Reflection,  instead 'Personal Retreat Hosts' who seem to do very little as far as I can tell, in fact almost invisible, seen ours twice in three days. 

Rang and asked for afternoon tea in our suite and was told if we wanted it go to Michael’s. Exactly the same reaction when asked for Luminea breakfast which is advertised as an in-suite option, also told only in-suit evening dining option was regular room service from the TV menu. Have had to ask each day for ice, was a time they did it automatically soon as they realised you liked to have it.

Cabin and dining staff remain helpful and friendly as always and staff levels seem good. As mentioned day three and Captain announced first covid cases on ship which is 95% capacity and feels that way.

Sad to say really unimpressed and will be having a few words in someone's shell like as feel suite guests, certainly in our part of the ship are being sold short. 

You must have had the same PRH we had in March!  

If the OP rang up room service for his requests, I could understand the responses he received.  IMHO, those requests should have been arranged with his PRH, ideally in advance.  

On 6/15/2022 at 10:38 AM, Tudy said:

I completely understand your frustration. Celebrity is so very, very proud of their suites (based on the prices they charge). You should be able to get whatever you want, whenever you want it.

Not necessarily true.  There are known limits and rules.  Even for suites.

• Like 4

On 6/15/2022 at 12:14 PM, grandgeezer said:

Just before the pandemic we did 14 days in a Sky Suite on the Equinox and 14 days in a Grand Suite on RCL Allure of the Seas, both in the Caribbean and within five weeks of each other. The Allure was $1500 p.p. cheaper than the Equinox. The 11am to 11pm drinks available in the Suite Lounge, on the Allure more than met our meager drink needs. The internet isn’t high on our needs list and the obc is not needed either as we spend very little, to no money once we board, everything we need or want is prepaid.

We got more than enough obc from the travel agent to cover the gratuities. 

I would pay the extra for celebrity, drinks are available from 11 to 11 but wine is extremely cheap grade on rccl and can only get drinks from the bar for 3 hours, also in my opinion the quality of food and service on celebrity Luminae is way better that quality of CK. Allure does have far superior entertainment.

• Like 1

I can find a deal on any cruise line, just about on any ship, sailing to somewhere I'd like to go.  I can also find a sailing, on a different line, sailing somewhere I'd like to go, on another ship, doing the same itinerary where I think their fare is crazy expensive.

Over the years, I've learned to shop for the deals.  Takes some time, but I consider it a hobby. 😉

As far as what is/isn't included in any of these suite classes, if your expectations are within reason (sometimes not even remotely reasonable), the ship's crew will do their very best to provide it.

I think posts like these are useful to set expectations.   I mostly cruise in high level suites and sometimes I have great suite service and sometimes I don't. Same as when I travel in Sky Suites.  Sometimes I try to fix it on board but usually I don't. Fixing it takes time and effort away from my vacation and in my experience doesn't always solve the problem; an inattentive employee will continue to be inattentive. There's a management issue when this happens and im not there to solve it. So I try not to let the shortcomings bother me and move on. I'm cruising this Sunday in a Penthouse and had a difficult time with pre-cruise concierge; the person didn't contact me, never sent list of booze, menus etc, said no to my two small requests and has confirmed nothing.  All i heard was how busy this person is. I was going to escalate it but decided to just deal with it on ship. 

• Like 3

Our butler on our March reflection suite was great.  We had everything we needed and then some- he was always bringing us snacks, cleaned our clothes, polished my DH's shoes when requested- etc.  We were in a Royal suite and perhaps service enhanced.  We will be in a Sky suite December and January on the Apex and hope for good service.  The concierge in the lounge was also excellent.  We enjoyed a few full breakfasts in our suite and it was brought at the requested time.  It was also our anniversary and he decorated the suite   Everyday was so special and he enhanced our vacation.

• Like 2

Our PRH on the Equinox last year was just awesome and he was always asking if we needed anything more from him and he gave us his card with direct phone number the first day we met him. The second day of the cruise my DW and I were walking down the hall to our cabin with drinks from the bar in hand and he stopped us and said "next time call me and I will get your drink"s. He brought our breakfast to our cabin every morning on time and still hot, he also set up our table on the balcony and poured our first cup of coffee. The first morning he asked how breakfast was and I mentioned the pot of coffee was a little weak, he said he would fix that and every morning after he had Cafe al Bacio add several shots of espresso to make the coffee stronger. He asked the first day what we wanted in our Mini Fridge, and we said premium water (I hate the canned water) and wine, no sodas as we don't drink them. He kept our room stocked with liter bottles of Evian water and the 1/2 bottles of Kendal Jackson red and white wines, which we were never charged for.

BTW, we had a conversation about being called a Butler or Personal Retreat Host. He said he preferred Butler as did most of the other Butlers. He said he worked hard to get a Butler position and the tittle was like a rank that meant much more than PRH. He was very proud to be a Butler and liked the Butler tittle.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

BTW, we had a conversation about being called a Butler or Personal Retreat Host. He said he preferred Butler as did most of the other Butlers. He said he worked hard to get a Butler position and the tittle was like a rank that meant much more than PRH. He was very proud to be a Butler and liked the Butler tittle.

That's interesting, and it makes some sense.  "Butler" has been a title and position of pride for some time and was easily come by.  

I'm not much of a fan of "Personal Retreat Host," myself.  First, they aren't personal.  Second, they aren't hosts.  Third, it's a mouthful, so anyone ought to expect that a nickname or abbreviation will result.  If the ones with the title preferred it, then I would respectfully go along with it.  It's interesting to hear that many do not.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

Sometimes I try to fix it on board but usually I don't. Fixing it takes time and effort away from my vacation and in my experience doesn't always solve the problem; an inattentive employee will continue to be inattentive.

I'll nearly always try to fix it on board, but it sounds like we are of like minds to a large extent.  I'll make a comment to someone, and that typically fixes it. Communication is good--no one is a mindreader.

If the problem persists and is particularly severe, then I'll make a comment to someone higher up.  If that doesn't fix it, then I agree that nothing likely will while on board.  I likely won't mention it again while on board unless an opportunity just happens to arise.  In the meantime, I've spent very little time or effort, and I've very likely gotten our vacation back on track.

17 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

That's interesting, and it makes some sense.  "Butler" has been a title and position of pride for some time and was easily come by.  

I'm not much of a fan of "Personal Retreat Host," myself.  First, they aren't personal.  Second, they aren't hosts.  Third, it's a mouthful, so anyone ought to expect that a nickname or abbreviation will result.  If the ones with the title preferred it, then I would respectfully go along with it.  It's interesting to hear that many do not.

All the butlers I've spoken with prefer the term butler.  So that's the term I use.  It has a widely accepted meaning.  Personal retreat host is a mouthful of marketing blarney.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

All the butlers I've spoken with prefer the term butler.  So that's the term I use.  It has a widely accepted meaning.  Personal retreat host is a mouthful of marketing blarney.

Exactly!!!

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Our PRH on the Equinox last year was just awesome and he was always asking if we needed anything more from him and he gave us his card with direct phone number the first day we met him. The second day of the cruise my DW and I were walking down the hall to our cabin with drinks from the bar in hand and he stopped us and said "next time call me and I will get your drink"s.

That's the kind of service we experienced from Anu on Constellation in November, too.  15 nights of pampering.  I left the room with a bottle of wine one evening and he caught me in the corridor thinking I was taking it to Luminae.  I was actually just wandering down the hall a few feet to the PH with it for a meet up before dinner, but he insisted on carrying it down to our neighbors and opening it for us.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

That's the kind of service we experienced from Anu on Constellation in November, too.  15 nights of pampering.  I left the room with a bottle of wine one evening and he caught me in the corridor thinking I was taking it to Luminae.  I was actually just wandering down the hall a few feet to the PH with it for a meet up before dinner, but he insisted on carrying it down to our neighbors and opening it for us.

That pampering is what keeps loyal Celebrity customers booking the more expensive suites and from testing the waters with more premium and luxury cruise lines. It sold us on the Retreat and the cancelation of our much more costly Oceania bookings.

So so sorry to hear you got a bum butler. Our man on the Apex was fabulous. I called and asked for some crackers because our friends had picked up some cheese from the buffet and we were going to have wine and cheese before dinner. He arrives with crackers——and two charcuterie boards, chocolate covered strawberries, and a bottle of Dom Perignon! WHAT? Now, that’s a darned great butler! image.thumb.jpeg.ec642bceb6ebe8322b85aa715ce123e9.jpeg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Communication is good--no one is a mindreader.

" Mindreader " ??

You don't play golf with the same guys as I do ---

Trust me, I know what is in their mind while I'm standing over a 2 ft putt to win 8 carry-overs ???

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lizinindy said:

So so sorry to hear you got a bum butler. Our man on the Apex was fabulous. I called and asked for some crackers because our friends had picked up some cheese from the buffet and we were going to have wine and cheese before dinner. He arrives with crackers——and two charcuterie boards, chocolate covered strawberries, and a bottle of Dom Perignon! WHAT? Now, that’s a darned great butler! 

Holy crap.  I'll have to ask our butler for "crackers" on our next cruise.

I'll be disappointed if all we get are crackers. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

That pampering is what keeps loyal Celebrity customers booking the more expensive suites and from testing the waters with more premium and luxury cruise lines. It sold us on the Retreat and the cancelation of our much more costly Oceania bookings.

We too had Anu on our April Constellation.  He was everywhere and we never wanted for a thing.  Sometimes I think he knew what I wanted before I wanted it.  No matter what the cost I go with a Suite or Aqua. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lizinindy said:

So so sorry to hear you got a bum butler. Our man on the Apex was fabulous. I called and asked for some crackers because our friends had picked up some cheese from the buffet and we were going to have wine and cheese before dinner. He arrives with crackers——and two charcuterie boards, chocolate covered strawberries, and a bottle of Dom Perignon! WHAT? Now, that’s a darned great butler! image.thumb.jpeg.ec642bceb6ebe8322b85aa715ce123e9.jpeg

Wow, nice presentation!  I am impressed!  Was the Dom Pérignon complimentary?

6 hours ago, lizinindy said:

I've never seen anything remotely like that in all my cruises. Good for you!  

16 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I'll nearly always try to fix it on board, but it sounds like we are of like minds to a large extent.  I'll make a comment to someone, and that typically fixes it. Communication is good--no one is a mindreader.

If the problem persists and is particularly severe, then I'll make a comment to someone higher up.  If that doesn't fix it, then I agree that nothing likely will while on board.  I likely won't mention it again while on board unless an opportunity just happens to arise.  In the meantime, I've spent very little time or effort, and I've very likely gotten our vacation back on track.

Agree. Communication makes a big difference.

It seems a frequent complaint that cruisers don’t see much of their butler but have  never ask for anything! They have read on CC or talked to others on the ship about snacks being delivered or a party being set up and then decide they have a ‘bad’ butler as he hasn’t ‘offered’ anything. Alternatively, as in the OPs case, guests ask for something (Luminae food) which is not usually included and then feel hard done to…

We generally print out our in suite requests made to the shoreside concierge as a check list for the butler….Not complicated usually but we always ask him to confirm our speciality dining. As we pass him the list we will discuss with him our afternoon snack requests etc. This has occasionally caused problems as we request a small afternoon tea selection (a few sandwiches and mini cakes). We have had enough afternoon tea delivered to invite 10 others to enjoy and some hot and cold appetisers (beautiful and substantial but not what we want). Communication is key again, a firm “No, but thank you for your efforts” for fancy stuff and a more descriptive description of what we do want  (6 small sandwiches, 4 mini cakes, nothing else)! 

We always remember the butler service is a shared service and if we want something out of the ordinary we usually arrange at least 24 hours before. 

Issues elsewhere on the ship we will usually let the concierge know and leave it with them to sort….Not usually much to complain about on a cruise.

8 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Sometimes I think he knew what I wanted before I wanted it.  

I know I have said it before but I will say it again….

Most butlers are at least good. They bring you what you want when you request it.

Some are very good, they bring you what you want then may offer or provide an occasional extra.

Then there are the outstanding ones as in Snit13’s example. They have that extra experience/predictive knowledge that makes your cruise extra special. They may mention that the next day is a sea day and what are you planning for lunch and offer some suggestions….They see you returning to your suite saying you are tired and plan on watching a film and a few minutes later knock on with popcorn, they see you returning to your suite with guests and appear from no where with nuts and chips and insist on pouring the mixed drinks…Unfortunately, once you have had an exceptional one and have to remember they are a rarity and communication is still needed most of the time!

I do feel that there are the occasional ‘demanders’ that can spoil things for others. Over many cruises we have spotted or heard from one or two…

A guest (with none suite family on board) complaining to the concierge that his family should be allowed in the suite lounge…

A PH guest sending in the washing for his extended on board family…

A suite guest in the pre drinks package days sitting his extended family outside Michael’s Club and ferrying drinks outside. 
A guest really being rude to the concierge that his butler had refused to deliver alcoholic drinks to his room…

It is unfortunate that the behaviour of guests like this can sometimes result in ‘rules’ needing to be more strictly adhered to. A big difference, for example, in a guest requesting and prearranging a meal from Luminae one night of their cruise and another phoning up and demanding it daily…End result could be Butlers are told to take the ‘official’ stance that Luminae meals are not an in suite option. 

• Like 6

I could not agree more with @chemmo's post. Communication is absolutely the key. Most of the buttlers on Celebrity are not mind readers, though we have had a couple who were, but if you are clear as to your needs they will make you're holiday special.  If things aren't the way you want they can't fix them if they don't know there is a problem.

Edited by groryjm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1