AA First Class

wowzz

A poster on a "Live From" thread has posted this picture showing her seat on an AA flight to Rome. Supposedly this is a first class seat,  but it looks more like business class to me. I certainly would be disappointed if I had paid a first class fare for the seat !

Can anyone confirm one way or another what class of seat this is.

71B0924B-CBDD-48D7-9204-E9D10221F895.thu 

Edited by wowzz

Only the 773s have a separate first class cabin. 8 seats.

The 772s, the 788s, the 789s have only business. 

And frankly, there is little difference between the first seats on the older 773s, and the biz on the 789s. I've flown them both and next time I'm on a 773, I'm sticking with 3A (biz) by preference.

Watch out for the back to front seats on the 788s tho"!

(Sorry, no knowledge of Airbus wide body metal)

Don't even think about narrow bodies ...

Edited by jollyjones

17 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Watch out for the back to front seats on the 788s tho"!

I kind of like them. It's fun watching the world go by backwards, and I don't feel any different physically. Obviously, they may not be ideal for some people with motion sickness issues, but to me it makes no difference. 

1 minute ago, Zach1213 said:

I kind of like them. It's fun watching the world go by backwards, and I don't feel any different physically. Obviously, they may not be ideal for some people with motion sickness issues, but to me it makes no difference. 

Glad to hear that because that is what we have to fly to Amsterdam in July.

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

Looking out the window at takeoff can be a little trippy, but otherwise it's basically the same 🙂

The only real problem is that in flat bed mode, depending on the cabin configuration,  you have to climb over the legs of the passenger next to you. 

31 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The only real problem is that in flat bed mode, depending on the cabin configuration,  you have to climb over the legs of the passenger next to you. 

On AA? I thought all AA flat bed configurations are all-aisle access?

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 7:30 AM, CruiserBruce said:

I think the poster just assumed the front cabin is always First, where in fact more of American's widebody planes don't have a First class cabin.

This is 100% it....I watch YouTube videos from an AA flight attendant and she described "getting first class" when actually it was a 777-200 in business class.

For the majority of the US flying public anything above economy is first class, ha!

22 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Only the 773s have a separate first class cabin. 8 seats.

There's a subfleet of A321s (known as the 321T) that has First, Business and Main Cabin.

The First Class cabin on those is 5 rows of 1-1 seating. They only operate between JFK-LAX/SFO/SNA for the most part. There are some other oddball routes out of BOS (including JFK) that they often operate too.

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Correct. Thinking back AA has never offered a fully lie flat seat in business class that wasn't all-aisle access. They were some lie flat at an angle options from the mid-2000s but these are long gone.

Some of the older 777-200s had 2-2-2 seating in longhaul First Class but again (when AA 777s were divided into "Atlantic" and "Pacific" subfleets) these haven't been around for 15yrs or so...

https://www.airliners.net/photo/American-Airlines/Boeing-777-223-ER/125439

Edited by fbgd

5 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Sorry, I was talking about herring bone configuration in general.

BA Club specifically,  is notorious for having to climb over other pax in Club, due to many of the window and central seats having no direct aisle access.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:37 AM, Zach1213 said:

As someone who spends a ridiculous amount of time traveling in AA business class, I can assure you that's business class, not first. 

There aint no more first class its now  Business/first on most airlines or some  however it is as good or better    Only a few airlines have true first  LUFT and Swiss, SING,  .     UAL currently has the best rated  business/first....Polaris

P2130563.jpg

9 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

That may be your opinion.  Better than Qatar's Q-Suites?  Better than ANA?

No.? Yes.. I flew ANA. bricks.. my back still is hurting .    Qatar  is a different animal  I mean yes, it is over the top  I just mean in normal airlines people  in the US are likely to use Polaris and its ground services, in my experience are the best ....

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2022 at 12:12 AM, wowzz said:

A poster on a "Live From" thread has posted this picture showing her seat on an AA flight to Rome. Supposedly this is a first class seat,  but it looks more like business class to me. I certainly would be disappointed if I had paid a first class fare for the seat !

Can anyone confirm one way or another what class of seat this is.

71B0924B-CBDD-48D7-9204-E9D10221F895.thu 

This seat on AA Domestic routes is sold as Domestic First Class and international routes as International Business. Go figure! 

7 minutes ago, travelplus said:

This seat on AA Domestic routes is sold as Domestic First Class and international routes as International Business. Go figure! 

To be fair, it is streets ahead of what normally passes for domestic "first class" within the US.

• Like 1