When will air be determined

smj

7 hours ago, smj said:

When sail in about 80 days. When should I expect Viking to give me my air arrangements?

Did you pay for Air Plus, or just regular Viking Air. At present, we have received note in MVJ that due to numerous airline changes, they are only working with pax within 60 days of departure.

Pre-COVID, with Air Plus, we booked flights about 300 days out, shortly after they were released. Unfortunately, times have changed in the airline industry, and not for the better.

Edited by Heidi13

If you are not using Air Plus Viking's standard used to be that they would issue the air tickets about 75 days out... now with airlines changing schedules and cancellations, they are probably only issuing tickets a few weeks out.

If you are unsure, call the Viking number, but if you have paid for air, you will get your tickets.

I was 59 days out and still had the "we are working on it" message on the air part of MVJ, so I did a live chat and the person who was chatting with me gave me the air department's number and told me to call them since I was within 60 days. 

I called them, got right through and that person did have the flights, verbally gave them to me and sent an email while we were talking. I told him everything looked good and to go ahead and ticket the flights. He said he would send the info to the ticketing department and that I would get an email in 24 to 48 hours indicating that I was ticketed. Well, I didn't get an email, but did look at Delta's website and it appeared that I had been ticketed. 

I was also told by the Viking Air person that my flights would NOT appear on MVJ because I didn't pay extra for Air Plus. My TA advised me to hold off paying the extra $100/pp to see what the flights were, and if I didn't like them then I could pay the fee and change the flights. 

So, if you are within the 60 day window I would call Viking Air. 

Is the air plus fee refundable/vouchable if Viking cancels the cruise.  Currently have “free” air and paid to deviate as we want to stay longer in Bangkok after disembarkation. But haven’t purchased plus figuring we would wait and see what we get before doing so. That’s supposed to show up on MVJ on July 29 for our Oct 27 embarkation.  But given current state of Asia we aren’t sure the cruise won’t get canceled. 

1 hour ago, H2Otstr said:

I was also told by the Viking Air person that my flights would NOT appear on MVJ because I didn't pay extra for Air Plus. My TA advised me to hold off paying the extra $100/pp to see what the flights were, and if I didn't like them then I could pay the fee and change the flights. 

That’s BS. Every flight I booked in the past 6+ cruises appeared on MVJ with plain old Viking air. Currently, there are three on MVJ. All are good, so I didn’t need to consider changing any of the three.

• Like 1

I wish ours for next year came sooner as it will affect the hotels we pay for in NYC 

When we went to Bergen we had it about 8 months before (but then there was only one route they can use)  Next time, there are lots of options

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

That’s BS. Every flight I booked in the past 6+ cruises appeared on MVJ with plain old Viking air. Currently, there are three on MVJ. All are good, so I didn’t need to consider changing any of the three.

Here is the message I get on the Air portion of MVJ. I am ticketed and purchased upgraded seats:

Your flight information is currently unavailable due to changes being made by the airline. These kinds of adjustments typically resolve themselves in 1-2 business days and your itinerary will be available to manage and review here. We will email you as soon as your updated flight information is available and ready to view below.
Your flight information is currently unavailable due to changes being made by the airline. These kinds of adjustments typically resolve themselves in 1-2 business days and your itinerary will be available to manage and review here. We will email you as soon as your updated flight information is available and ready to view below.
  • Review and change seats
  • Review your itinerary
  • Upgrade your flights
  • 24/7 access to make adjustments whenever it is convenient for you
  • Explore and add stopovers before or after your journey
  • Search for and select alternative flights, if desired
  • Pay for any applicable incremental change or upgrade costs
  • Add frequent flyer number(s) and known traveler number(s)
  • Update flight preferences, including wheelchair needs and meal preferences

12 minutes ago, H2Otstr said:

Here is the message I get on the Air portion of MVJ. I am ticketed and purchased upgraded seats:

• Review and change seats
  • Review your itinerary
  • Upgrade your flights
  • 24/7 access to make adjustments whenever it is convenient for you
  • Explore and add stopovers before or after your journey
  • Search for and select alternative flights, if desired
  • Pay for any applicable incremental change or upgrade costs
  • Add frequent flyer number(s) and known traveler number(s)
  • Update flight preferences, including wheelchair needs and meal preferences

Don’t be surprised if that message disappears and is replaced by the the one below.  Just after booking I had the message I’ve posted. Then a week or so later the message you posted appeared and we got excited that perhaps we would see what our flights would be.  Then a week or so (not a day or two), the initial message reappeared and has been there ever since 😢

0C0D0388-CE99-4A64-997E-8A617ABF1A8A.png

How often are premium economy, business or first class flights changed at the last minute when using Viking Air? Interested in hearing stories because I get the impression when reading reviews that they upsell the tickets but then allow the seats to be bumped at the last minute to a less expensive seat with no reimbursement options. I hope this is not the norm, so I would love to hear some positive stories. 

15 minutes ago, IkonIke said:

How often are premium economy, business or first class flights changed at the last minute when using Viking Air? Interested in hearing stories because I get the impression when reading reviews that they upsell the tickets but then allow the seats to be bumped at the last minute to a less expensive seat with no reimbursement options. I hope this is not the norm, so I would love to hear some positive stories. 

I've never heard of that happening BUT airlines sometimes change planes, say from an A300 to 777, so that the seat configuration changes.  IF that happens, you most likely would get a seat change but hopefully stay in the same class of seat.  

In the remote chance you get bumped from, say, business to a lower class, then you should receive compensation.

Edit:  Viking has no control over the airline plane/seat changes. So they aren't the ones "upselling" you only to get "bumped" at the last minute.

Edited by The Other Tom
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, IkonIke said:

It wasn’t with Viking Air but we had this happen on our way to Iceland last summer. We had booked Delta Premium Economy seats but they changed the aircraft and we got a free upgrade to Delta One.  Certainly not something to count on.  

13 hours ago, IkonIke said:

I am at 61 days out and our flights have been ticketed for awhile on Delta.  I found these flights about 330 days out and the flight times have not changed that much.  Yesterday I noticed I had only 1 leg of the 5 leg roundtrip on the Delta website.  Did panic set in, YEP.  I did have Premium Economy and Comfort Class depending on the aircraft, and used Viking Air+ with a deviation.  Currently, on the phone with Viking Air+ representatives.  They told me I was changed to Lufthansa.  They have re-established my previous flights except one international flight.  The international flight in question does not have any seats available in the class I paid for.  So, currently they offered coach class with a small refund.  I re-emphasized they made the change without authorization.  So after 2+ hours on the phone the supervisor will call Monday and try for a solution.  Am I happy about this, nope  I do have the supervisors contact info.  I will add the Viking Air reps were professional and knowledgable and apologized for the error.

1 hour ago, ohiojohn said:

I am at 61 days out and our flights have been ticketed for awhile on Delta.  I found these flights about 330 days out and the flight times have not changed that much.  Yesterday I noticed I had only 1 leg of the 5 leg roundtrip on the Delta website.  Did panic set in, YEP.  I did have Premium Economy and Comfort Class depending on the aircraft, and used Viking Air+ with a deviation.  Currently, on the phone with Viking Air+ representatives.  They told me I was changed to Lufthansa.  They have re-established my previous flights except one international flight.  The international flight in question does not have any seats available in the class I paid for.  So, currently they offered coach class with a small refund.  I re-emphasized they made the change without authorization.  So after 2+ hours on the phone the supervisor will call Monday and try for a solution.  Am I happy about this, nope  I do have the supervisors contact info.  I will add the Viking Air reps were professional and knowledgable and apologized for the error.

Were you actually "ticketed" on your original itinerary and have the ticket numbers or did you just have the booking codes? 

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

Were you actually "ticketed" on your original itinerary and have the ticket numbers or did you just have the booking codes? 

Yep I actually had the ticket numbers.  Also, on the Delta web site under my trips the routing was missing 4 of the 5., but on the MVJ my original routing was still intact.

So best always to check the airlines web site if you have a FF number.

On 6/16/2022 at 1:22 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Have you checked MVJ?

Yes, we are actually about 42 days out.  It still says they are working on it.  

I am assuming that even if we are working with a TA, it will still show up in MVJ?

21 minutes ago, ohiojohn said:

Yep I actually had the ticket numbers.  Also, on the Delta web site under my trips the routing was missing 4 of the 5., but on the MVJ my original routing was still intact.

So best always to check the airlines web site if you have a FF number.

That is awful. Please let us know how this turns out.. Good luck!!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rizello said:

Yes, we are actually about 42 days out.  It still says they are working on it.  

I am assuming that even if we are working with a TA, it will still show up in MVJ?

Dunno - hopefully someone will respond 

Rizello, you should call Viking air department. You should have your air and be ticketed by now. 

Go on MVJ and do a Live Chat. The person there will give you the air department's number.  Tell them what your situation is and that you want to be ticketed, too. 

Even though I have my ticketed flights and upgraded seats nothing is showing in MVJ. 

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

That is awful. Please let us know how this turns out.. Good luck!!

Yep awful, however I believe this may have been a one off error by a not fully trained agent.

My gut tells me this is not a normal business practice, just an extremely bad day for someone.  I will see what the outcome is on late Monday, stay tuned. If I book another Viking Ocean cruise, I will consider booking  myself.  For this cruise  I received free air but upgraded to Premium Economy/ comfort class.  I know booking yourself you will need to decide about the transfers.

1 hour ago, ohiojohn said:

Yep awful, however I believe this may have been a one off error by a not fully trained agent.

My gut tells me this is not a normal business practice, just an extremely bad day for someone.  I will see what the outcome is on late Monday, stay tuned. If I book another Viking Ocean cruise, I will consider booking  myself.  For this cruise  I received free air but upgraded to Premium Economy/ comfort class.  I know booking yourself you will need to decide about the transfers.

After our first trip we have always booked ourselves. Everything went okay on that first trip, but I always “felt out of control”. We leave Thursday for a VOC. I booked our tickets myself with plenty of time between flights. I had to book our own arrival transfers,  but we are able to join the group transfer at the end of the trip. We shall see how it goes in these crazy travel times, but I am glad I booked our flights and not VA.