Best and most useful things you’ve brought on your cruise

ccc321

Y'all make me so worried. My husband and I pack pretty much nothing. We literally share a bookbag style backpack and small carry on (the kind that fit in a tiny plane). That's it. Why do you need a plethora of stuff? Yikes!!

11 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Y'all make me so worried. My husband and I pack pretty much nothing. We literally share a bookbag style backpack and small carry on (the kind that fit in a tiny plane). That's it. Why do you need a plethora of stuff? Yikes!!

I would not worry. Bring what you are comfortable with🙂...that is what I do. Been cruising on a regular basis since 2003 and never bring most of the stuff listed......never brought a roll a duct tape with me and have never missed it.

After getting sick of trying to stuff cruise line beach towels in our backpack for excursions, I second the suggestion of travel beach towels. We enjoy cruising (and kayaking at home) enough to make them a worthwhile investment. If you go on a lot of water-based excursions, it's a worthwhile investment, IMO.

I also second blister-care/prevention if you will be walking a lot in ports.

For the people saying "OMG, do I really need all this?" It's totally personal. Whatever makes you more comfortable and isn't a packing burden. Here is my alternative list:

Things I learned about on CC that I brought once and decided it's not worth it for me & DH:

• Hanging shoe organizer (if I had more than two people in a room, my tune would change!)
  • Magnetic hooks (kind of nice, but not necessary)
  • Magnet for outside of door (unless I'm with a group and want it to be easy for them to find)
  • Clips for towel on loungers
  • Travel coffee mug. I personally don't need to stroll the ship with coffee. 
  • Travel power "strip" for extra plug ins...this used to be a must when there was an actual camera to charge and there were few outlets. Now, there is ample for everything we need to charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weltek said:

Travel coffee mug. I personally don't need to stroll the ship with coffee.

Ok, you got me with this! Although I took a silicone water cup which could easily take a coffee or fun time drink! More often than not it was a fun time drink. This way I could take it in a pool area and not feel bad if it broke shards of glass everywhere (I know...I was still technically breaking the rule).

2 hours ago, weltek said:

Things I learned about on CC that I brought once and decided it's not worth it for me & DH:

I have not taken any of the items you listed and have found that I would have had any use of them if I did.  

Why do I take a roll of duct tape?

During one cruise, a fabric bag (a carry-on type) suffered some damage en route to the port.  It was a minor gash.  I was able to repair it with the duct tape and did not need to buy a replacement during the cruise.  On another cruise, a pair of well worn walking shoes--the only ones that I had with me--the upper part of the shoe began to separate from the bottom of the shoe.  It wasn't easy, but I was able to make a duct tape repair from inside the shoe at the point of separation that was sufficient to even keep water from getting into the shoe when I had to walk through a puddle.  During another cruise, the metal handle on the side of a piece of hard side luggage was damaged so that it could not properly be stored.  A piece of duct tape solved that issue.  I taped the handle to the luggage; could remove it to pull the bag; and re-tape it to the side of the bag.  And, then, there was the pair of slacks when the hem at the end of one leg came loose.  I was able to repair the hem with either the Scotch Tape or the duct tape.  

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 11:12 AM, cruisegal40 said:

Some very good ideas here. Thanks folks.  We bring extra thin wire hangers.  I like the towel idea as you are correct about the towels. They are gross after a day of swimming.

I always just ask the steward for more hangers--usually they are the wire ones.  They always bring plenty.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

On 6/18/2022 at 6:31 PM, GeezerCouple said:

And we also keep some special "just in case" prescription meds with us.  Some of those are from the travel clinic, and might be "take these if X happens".

I had a prescription like, wish I'd kept the bottle. Instructions were to take the antibiotic "after fifth loose stool". Almost as good as the instructions to "Apply to feet three times daily during meals".

• Haha 2

On 6/18/2022 at 11:53 AM, ccc321 said:

Ive searched but couldn’t find anything.  What are the most useful thing you’ve brought on youre cruise.  I like the idea of bringing magnetic hooks for hats, bags, and anything else you can hang

My wife

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife

I'm not sure my husband was useful on the cruise...but it was far more enjoyable a cruise with him, than not with him. 

Except that he limited my pizza consumption to one room service pizza the entire cruise. That...was not nice!

Edited by cruiseny4life
needed to add pizza!
  • Haha 3

some of you must have the largest cases in the world.

And some of you leave me wondering why you go on holiday at all😄

I take as little as possible and that includes clothes.

I must be odd because when I am on the ship I feel like I am living the millionaire lifestyle, compared to be being at home.

There are far more luxuries on board than I could ever need at home.

19 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

This. A  million times this

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I always just ask the steward for more hangers--usually they are the wire ones.  They always bring plenty.

I just dont unpack. Case goes under the bed, and I know I never have to waste the lost day or so re-packing, which is the single most depressing thing in the world.

We got on the ship before our cases reached the room this time.

We just went straight to the outside bar and had a nice cold beer. Didnt go to room until it was just before meal time.

Quick shower, opened case, pulled out a clean shirt, case closed and under the bed, then off we go.

Wasting time emptying case and hanging up clothes just seems terribly pointless,

A few shirts had creases but as I didnt need to impress anyone on the ship, and I wasnt going for a job interview, i really didnt care less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm not sure my husband was useful on the cruise...but it was far more enjoyable a cruise with him, than not with him. 

Except that he limited my pizza consumption to one room service pizza the entire cruise. That...was not nice!

Can I ask how he limited this?

Are you not a free spirit?

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

Can I ask how he limited this?

Are you not a free spirit?

Oh I am, but I also know what's best for me. Generally I want pizza after I've already eaten - although there was one meal where I wanted pizza and we still went to the Haven Restaurant instead...but how can you say no to lobster tails? 

He also (rightfully) told me the pizza was disgusting, but when I consumed it I was drunk so it was freaking delicious! 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have not taken any of the items you listed and have found that I would have had any use of them if I did.  

Why do I take a roll of duct tape?

During one cruise, a fabric bag (a carry-on type) suffered some damage en route to the port.  It was a minor gash.  I was able to repair it with the duct tape and did not need to buy a replacement during the cruise.  On another cruise, a pair of well worn walking shoes--the only ones that I had with me--the upper part of the shoe began to separate from the bottom of the shoe.  It wasn't easy, but I was able to make a duct tape repair from inside the shoe at the point of separation that was sufficient to even keep water from getting into the shoe when I had to walk through a puddle.  During another cruise, the metal handle on the side of a piece of hard side luggage was damaged so that it could not properly be stored.  A piece of duct tape solved that issue.  I taped the handle to the luggage; could remove it to pull the bag; and re-tape it to the side of the bag.  And, then, there was the pair of slacks when the hem at the end of one leg came loose.  I was able to repair the hem with either the Scotch Tape or the duct tape.  

You joke, but I carry duct tape with me wherever I go -- I have a couple yards wrapped around an old business card in my wallet at all times -- and I recommend everyone do so. It's saved my ass sooooo many times, including taping my best friend's car together when the door fell apart on the way to her wedding, as a make-***** blister preventer when bad shoe choices were made, to repair luggage, people, glasses, etc. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lois R said:

I would not worry. Bring what you are comfortable with🙂...that is what I do. Been cruising on a regular basis since 2003 and never bring most of the stuff listed......never brought a roll a duct tape with me and have never missed it.

I'm an old Girl Scout and backpacker, so some of my "must haves" emanate from that.  Count me in as a duct tape packer.  having it has saved me a few times - blister, broken zipper, ripped hem...  

Bandana - multi-purpose item.  head covering, neck scarf, cooling scarf (when it's 100 outside) by soaking it, carrier (put item in the middle and bring the corners together and tie), wash cloth, emergency arm sling, etc.  Bandanas come in so many colors and prints now that you can even wear them to spiff up your outfit.

Outside of those and some clothes, I"m also the "passport, vax record, headphones, smartphone" person.  I do bring my necessary meds with me.  But, other toiletries I can buy when I get somewhere - less to have to put in my bag.  Trying desperately to do my carry-on for my month-long trip to Europe which is a multi-function deal so the Tshirt and shorts won't work everywhere.

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh I am, but I also know what's best for me. Generally I want pizza after I've already eaten - although there was one meal where I wanted pizza and we still went to the Haven Restaurant instead...but how can you say no to lobster tails? 

He also (rightfully) told me the pizza was disgusting, but when I consumed it I was drunk so it was freaking delicious! 

I bet you the pizza wasnt disgusting. Its a pizza.

And eating pizza when drunk is the bomb.

Tell him to lighten up from me.😁

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

I bet you the pizza wasnt disgusting. Its a pizza.

And eating pizza when drunk is the bomb.

Tell him to lighten up from me.😁

This drunk guy sure thought the pizza was delicious! 

Hahaha I'll be sure to not mention this to him. 🙂 At least I know I've got someone in my corner though!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Isn't that grounds for divorce?  😁

6 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I just dont unpack. Case goes under the bed, and I know I never have to waste the lost day or so re-packing, which is the single most depressing thing in the world.

We got on the ship before our cases reached the room this time.

We just went straight to the outside bar and had a nice cold beer. Didnt go to room until it was just before meal time.

Quick shower, opened case, pulled out a clean shirt, case closed and under the bed, then off we go.

Wasting time emptying case and hanging up clothes just seems terribly pointless,

A few shirts had creases but as I didnt need to impress anyone on the ship, and I wasnt going for a job interview, i really didnt care less.

Your post is the one of the most unique thinking posts I have read on CC.  😀  I understand your thinking.  Having to get my luggage out each time I needed an article of clothing would become a chore for me, however.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Did you get even ?

Responses:

- Duct tape is pretty heavy, and I've managed to live to retirement age (having traveled pretty heavily) without wanting it on vacation.  

- I've never really seen the point in the over-the-door shoe holder.  It would take up a good bit of space in the suitcase, and the cabins have a good bit of storage -- I've always been kinda amazed at just how much storage the cabins have.

- I'm kinda in the middle on an insulated cup.  I don't drink coffee, but it would be nice to keep your (expensive) adult beverage nice and cool by the pool.

- Someone mentioned prescription sunglasses.  Oh, yes.  I am glasses-dependent, and my prescription sunglasses are one of my favorite things in the whole world.  Similarly, my husband needs reading glasses in the MDR, or he literally can't read the menu.  

- We don't carry much either.  In all likelihood, a small backpack apiece, which will double as island bags.  And one small-medium suitcase to share.  

- Someone said you're breaking a rule to carry a silicone glass by the pool.  What rule is this?  I really don't know.  

- As for a bandana, I did wish I had one once:  We did an ATV excursion, and we had to wear helmets (okay, a smarter person might've seen that one coming).  My kids had lice once in elementary school, and I really did wish I had something to put over my head.  If I ever have a similar excursion planned, I'll bring a bandana.  

- Trying to pack for a month in Europe?  Go to Pinterest and read about the 5-4-3-2-1 packing method.  It's genius.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

8 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I must be doing something terribly wrong if it is supposed to take a day or so repacking!   Might take 20 minutes, with Mrs Ldubs prompting of course!   😃

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I must be doing something terribly wrong if it is supposed to take a day or so repacking!   Might take 20 minutes, with Mrs Ldubs prompting of course!   😃

Yep.  We pack carefully for the cruise.  Leaving, though?  Everything gets tossed in the suitcase as it's all going in the laundry when we get home.

• Like 2