Nice place for embarkation day breakfast?

Muckyduckway

We're staying the night before embarkation in the Premier Inn West Quay. As we've been given a late embarkation time we're thinking of treating ourselves to a good breakfast.

The best looking place in the area appears to be Bill's which has good ratings and a varied menu.  It will do, but does anyone have a better suggestion?

One of the best breakfasts we've had in England was Albert's Schloss in Manchester (still drool at the memory of their cruffins!)  Is there anywhere in central Southampton like that?

2 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

We're staying the night before embarkation in the Premier Inn West Quay. As we've been given a late embarkation time we're thinking of treating ourselves to a good breakfast.

The best looking place in the area appears to be Bill's which has good ratings and a varied menu.  It will do, but does anyone have a better suggestion?

One of the best breakfasts we've had in England was Albert's Schloss in Manchester (still drool at the memory of their cruffins!)  Is there anywhere in central Southampton like that?

I like Bill's to be honest. Really enjoyed my breakfast there before my last cruise.  Although it was over three years ago, so not sure how it measures up nowadays. 

Our next cruise is only 9 weeks away now. It's on a Sunday though,  so we will have breakfast at the Premier Inn Didcot where we are booked in on the Saturday night.  Have made the mistake of arriving in Southampton at 8.30am on a Sunday a few years ago,  to find nothing opened until 10am.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cruise saint said:

Have made the mistake of arriving in Southampton at 8.30am on a Sunday a few years ago,  to find nothing opened until 10am.

Relieved that it's not just me that finds English opening hours and Scottish opening hours wildly different, especially on a Sunday.

5 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

Relieved that it's not just me that finds English opening hours and Scottish opening hours wildly different, especially on a Sunday.

Certainly not just you. An hour and a half walking around a town centre where everything is closed is a long time!😂 We usually arrive very early in Southampton, which is fine on a Saturday,  not so much on a Sunday.   We usually drive (from Perthshire) on the day  before and book into Premier Inn Didcot.  It means only about an hour's drive on the morning of the cruise so we arrive fresh and ready for the cruise.  As I said we'll stay at the Premier Inn a bit later this time. 

Edited by cruise saint
Fat fingers!
  • Like 1

We have liked Carluccio's elsewhere, but the ratings for the Southampton place seemed low (didn't read the comments so maybe the ratings are not a true reflection).

Nothing wrong with a Premier Inn breakfast either, but we fancied a bit of a treat. I wonder how many months, maybe years, we"ll be justifying treats because, you know, pandemic and all that! 🙂

We made the mistake of giving in to our young daughter and agreeing to going to McDonalds for breakfast while en route to embark a cruise many years ago.  That then became a bit of a family tradition with our young daughters over many years of cruise holidays. 

We are now due to cruise on Iona in July along with our now grown up daughters, one of whom has already promised her daughter (our granddaughter) who is going on her first cruise that we can stop at McDonalds for breakfast as it's traditional.

How I wish that I had never agreed to going to the place all those years ago. I hate the blinking place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Muckyduckway said:

We have liked Carluccio's elsewhere, but the ratings for the Southampton place seemed low (didn't read the comments so maybe the ratings are not a true reflection).

Nothing wrong with a Premier Inn breakfast either, but we fancied a bit of a treat. I wonder how many months, maybe years, we"ll be justifying treats because, you know, pandemic and all that! 🙂

I was treated to a Father's Day breakfast at Carluccio's  in Southampton a few years ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, and although standards may well have slipped since then I would be happy to go back there. They also offer veggie and vegan choices.

• Thanks 1

Next to the Ocean Terminal, is Ocean Village. Its a restaurant and office area ,overlooking the marina . There's parking ,paid, in the centre ,open air .

We, go to The Maritimo Lounge , but there's a Weatherspoons there too . We've twice had a late breakfast here when we've had late embarkation times. So then ,you're close to either cruise terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2022 at 11:09 AM, AchileLauro said:

We made the mistake of giving in to our young daughter and agreeing to going to McDonalds for breakfast while en route to embark a cruise many years ago.  That then became a bit of a family tradition with our young daughters over many years of cruise holidays. 

We are now due to cruise on Iona in July along with our now grown up daughters, one of whom has already promised her daughter (our granddaughter) who is going on her first cruise that we can stop at McDonalds for breakfast as it's traditional.

How I wish that I had never agreed to going to the place all those years ago. I hate the blinking place.

Can always change family tradition….offer to take the g/daughter to McD’s the night before for dinner…..then look for a new ‘adult’ family tradition restaurant.

On 6/19/2022 at 4:09 PM, AchileLauro said:

We've stopped at McD's for a bacon butty before the cruise  several times- partly to be out in the open air after being in a hotel for the night, and partly because they serve good back bacon. 😄

17 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Glad to see you are not considering the Premier Inn offerings! I stayed there a few months ago and walked out due to the appalling hygiene standards in the restaurant.

Sorry that you had a bad experience.

We have stayed an eaten in various PIs over the years, and never had any issues.

Did you raise your concern with management? 

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry that you had a bad experience.

We have stayed an eaten in various PIs over the years, and never had any issues.

Did you raise your concern with management? 

Same for us, we stay at the Premier Inn at Eastleigh before a cruise, and the breakfasts have never disappointed.

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Too right I informed management!

Pre booked breakfast costs were refunded. 

The attitude of management was essentially disinterest.

We found a nice place in the shopping centre instead.

So what exactly was wrong ?

What was wrong?

As an aside I refuse to eat breakfast at Premier Inns. Anyone that can leave eggs under a hotplate for two hours does not inspire me. Their time span comments ... not mine.

In this instance .... as cruising was just starting after covid and severe restrictions were allegedly in place.
Help your self to the cutlery from a tray ... Cross contamination?
Self serve buffet in place.
People were leaving their unused cutlery on the table when they left and staff either left it there after they had wiped the tables or they put it back in the trays.
Tables were not disinfected they were just wiped clean, and in one instance the cloth used had just been used to wipe down a toddlers high chair!

1 minute ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Anyone that can leave eggs under a hotplate for two hours does not inspire me. Their time span comments ... not mine.

Never seen that in many visits. Normally, just a tray of 10 or so,  that are replenished as required.

Stayed in Premier Inn West Quay for 2 nights and did not eat there. For breakfast we went to Poppins restaurant  on the High  street about a 10 min walk from the hotel . Great choice and freshly made

Edited by ashhill

We generally stay in Premier Inns when we're travelling round the UK (usually several stays per year). Always book breakfast. Never had an issue. No worse than buffet breakfasts in similarly priced hotels - but no better either.

15 minutes ago, Harters said:

We generally stay in Premier Inns when we're travelling round the UK (usually several stays per year). Always book breakfast. Never had an issue. No worse than buffet breakfasts in similarly priced hotels - but no better either.

Fair comment. All buffet style breakfasts are more or less the same,  not only in hotels,  but also on cruise ships.