Never again!!

glm77777

So we are currently on the Crown Princess to Alaska and they have just cancelled ANOTHER shore excursion!! No whale watch in Juneau now. We were notified at approx 10 am that the excursion at 4pm had been cancelled due to trouble with the propulsion system! So initially we had 4 excursions booked-we are now down to 2.  This ship should not be in service since apparently this issue has been ongoing. Our first port/excursion was cancelled due to there being an issue that limited the speed of the ship so we had to skip a port. Then our whale watching excursion was changed 4 times and finally just cancelled 😡. The entire ship is abuzz with pissed off people. And the only thing we are hearing is

“ all we can do is give you onboard credit and a free tram ride in Juneau.” Of course-every other excursion is sold out.

I will never sail with Princess again. This entire once in a lifetime cruise, except for the lovely crew members, has been a disaster. 

• Like 13

I am so sorry you have to experience this huge disappointment!  Crown needs to be taken out of service until these issues are resolved.  Princess should be giving passengers a refund and OBC.  I’m sure there are plenty of people who are majorly  upset and so they should be.  If I were booked on Crown anytime soon, I would be cancelling and sailing with another line.  Shame on Princess!

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, glm77777 said:

I will never sail with Princess again. This entire once in a lifetime cruise, except for the lovely crew members, has been a disaster. 

I am so sorry about your awful experiences on Crown. There are a high percentage of first time Princess cruisers in Alaska & like you some won’t ever sail again on Princess. It’s a shame that you did not get to experience a pre-pandemic Princess like I have enjoyed many times. The crew are doing their best to overcome management’s decisions & are likely as frustrated as you.

Sapphire was scheduled to sail from LA this summer but shortly after announcing them all of those cruises were cancelled without explanation until late September. This wonderful ship has spent most of this year in the eastern Med & anchored off Cyprus with crew only…why hasn’t it been deployed to replace the unreliable Crown. All cruise lines are experiencing crew & supply shortages but being on a ship not working properly is inexcusable to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Astro Flyer said:

The crew are doing their best to overcome management’s decisions & are likely as frustrated as you.

49 minutes ago, glm77777 said:

This entire once in a lifetime cruise, except for the lovely crew members, has been a disaster. 

51 minutes ago, glm77777 said:

The entire ship is abuzz with pissed off people

The crew on our sailing on the Crown were complete professionals, great attitudes and really made the most of a bad situation.  As the days went on and cancellations became more frequent many of the passengers became upset, it did just contribute to a bad atmosphere on board, and of course the crew who had nothing to do with Princess's poor decisions took the brunt of that frustration.  It was just a bad vibe.  If Princess's management aren't aware of this they should be, I expressed this in my post cruise survey I hope many other do to.  It's wrong and it causes poor morale for these overworked crew members.  They are the face of Princess during the cruise.  I witnessed abusive passengers towards the crew on a few occasions, totally unacceptable.  You could see as the week went on visibly how this was impacting them, especially at the guest service and shore excursion desks.

• Like 8

Princess crews have always been wonderful to make our cruises special but could see the extra stress caused by management such as attempting to deal with the unreliable DMW & running around the ship delivering food & drinks. How management thought that’d work with the same number of overworked crew members is a mystery.

• Like 9

Just now, CineGraphic said:

What if the problems are constant?

They have been. Many of us knew Crown’s history and booked other ships. Princess knew problems were constant and continued using this ship.

shame on Princess and these people are due much more compensation then $200 non refundable OBC!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I am so sorry about your awful experiences on Crown. There are a high percentage of first time Princess cruisers in Alaska & like you some won’t ever sail again on Princess. It’s a shame that you did not get to experience a pre-pandemic Princess like I have enjoyed many times. The crew are doing their best to overcome management’s decisions & are likely as frustrated as you.

Sapphire was scheduled to sail from LA this summer but shortly after announcing them all of those cruises were cancelled without explanation until late September. This wonderful ship has spent most of this year in the eastern Med & anchored off Cyprus with crew only…why hasn’t it been deployed to replace the unreliable Crown. All cruise lines are experiencing crew & supply shortages but being on a ship not working properly is inexcusable to me.

Originally, the Sapphire was supposed to be in Alaska this summer and last.  Luckily for us after they took it this year we moved to the Grand at the same $$  I would be so upset if we were on Crown.  Just not right.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

Holland America and Royal Caribbean sail some very nice ships to Alaska.

Princess has numerous ships sailing Alaska no resin the book one of the older ships on those routes. We are scheduled on the Royal for 14 days in August 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

Princess has numerous ships sailing Alaska no resin the book one of the older ships on those routes. We are scheduled on the Royal for 14 days in August 

The routing for the Royal sucks, it is too big to traverse the inside passage and goes out to sea instead.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, michigan tim said:

The routing for the Royal sucks, it is too big to traverse the inside passage and goes out to sea instead.  

Sure beats b we inch on a rust bucket that is missing port after port. Have been on Alaskan cruises many times this is one of the few cruises we do where it is for the glaciers (We will get Glacier Bay twice and Hubbard and College Fiord once each). Plus our favorite all time Diner is in Ketchikan 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

I am so sorry you have to experience this huge disappointment!  Crown needs to be taken out of service until these issues are resolved.  Princess should be giving passengers a refund and OBC.  I’m sure there are plenty of people who are majorly  upset and so they should be.  If I were booked on Crown anytime soon, I would be cancelling and sailing with another line.  Shame on Princess!

12 minutes ago, glm77777 said:

We did get a refund for our cancelled excursion and $100 onboard credit. But that doesn’t make up for the fact that we will likely never have this opportunity again .

I hope you are documenting each and every change.  Date stamped.  

Then, when you have cooled down, I would compose a letter detailing each and every incident.  Please do document those crew members who were very friendly and helpful.

Start with the simple.  Ask for your money back.  Escalate it to Future Cruise Credits so you can have an enjoyable Alaskan Experience   Continue to write to anyone that will listen, including jswartz@princesscruises.com

The Crown Princess should never have been put into service. She should never have been continued to operate after the first cruise.  Princess should not be continuing to sell her cabins.  So much is wrong with Princess using the Crown for Alaska this season.

Good luck.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, glm77777 said:

We did get a refund for our cancelled excursion and $100 onboard credit. But that doesn’t make up for the fact that we will likely never have this opportunity again .

A $100 OBC for the havoc they've caused a bunch of paying customers? Big damned deal. I feel your pain. 

While it may feel good to vent on CC to what is a very limited slice of the totality of present and potential PCL customers, it's numbers that matter to the bean counters. My suggestion would be to hit them hard on social media. Give them a deservedly strong thrashing on Twitter, FB or wherever the consumer masses hang out these days. 

If everyone made their feelings known to a wider audience, not just the comparative few here on CC, perhaps even the bean counters might notice. 

As an aside, we just booked our first Celebrity cruise for this August. 

• Like 6

The best part is when the captain said there is no need to go to the shore excursion desk, a salvo to save those people from irate passengers. Safety is our number one priority.    No I don’t think that is the priority for princess on this cruise

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Continue to write to anyone that will listen, including jswartz@princesscruises.com

With a normal consumer centered business, this suggestion would make a world of sense. But I'm finding that at PCL, Swartz, Padgett nor any of the rest of them give a tinker's damn about any of us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glm77777 said:

So we are currently on the Crown Princess to Alaska and they have just cancelled ANOTHER shore excursion!! No whale watch in Juneau now. We were notified at approx 10 am that the excursion at 4pm had been cancelled due to trouble with the propulsion system! So initially we had 4 excursions booked-we are now down to 2.  This ship should not be in service since apparently this issue has been ongoing. Our first port/excursion was cancelled due to there being an issue that limited the speed of the ship so we had to skip a port. Then our whale watching excursion was changed 4 times and finally just cancelled 😡. The entire ship is abuzz with pissed off people. And the only thing we are hearing is

“ all we can do is give you onboard credit and a free tram ride in Juneau.” Of course-every other excursion is sold out.

I am so sorry to read this... I agree with you THIS SHIP SHOULD NOT BE IN SERVICE!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

A $100 OBC for the havoc they've caused a bunch of paying customers? Big damned deal. I feel your pain. 

While it may feel good to vent on CC to what is a very limited slice of the totality of present and potential PCL customers, it's numbers that matter to the bean counters. My suggestion would be to hit them hard on social media. Give them a deservedly strong thrashing on Twitter, FB or wherever the consumer masses hang out these days. 

If everyone made their feelings known to a wider audience, not just the comparative few here on CC, perhaps even the bean counters might notice. 

As an aside, we just booked our first Celebrity cruise for this August. 

Be prepared for your first Celebrity cruise…..you may never want to go back to Princess.  Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lady Arwen said:

Be prepared for your first Celebrity cruise…..you may never want to go back to Princess.  Enjoy!

Kinda what we are thinking. We have 6 Princess cruises booked that are still outside of final payment. 

If X is all we hear that it is, I'll have a lot of cancellation/booking to do when we return on Sept 8th!!