Discovery Princess - Sky Suite

flyguyjake

Hi All,

We're brand new to Princess and have booked the Sky Suite June 2023 for Alaska. Has anyone sailed in a Sky Suite in Alaska? We've sailed on Celebrity Solstice in the PH suite which has a very large balcony and loved it. We sailed on NCL Bliss in the PH which has a huge balcony and that was really great as well. We booked the Sky Suite specially for the giant balcony. Do you guys think the Discovery Princess Sky Suite is the best room/balcony for an Alaska cruise? I also checked out the Ovation of the Seas but the suites balcony's don't appear ideal.

For those that have sailed in a Sky Suite, was there anything you didn't like about your experience?

Anything you would have done differently if you sailed in the Sky Suite again?

Thanks for your feedback!

• Like 1

Sailed in PH suite, aft facing corner. Great balcony.

toured the 2 Sky suites on Discovery Alaska.  Balcony was huge, suite was huge, and I preferred my PH suite.  Sky balcony was wet, not covered enough to Karen you dry. Deck was very slippery.

you will be spoiled with all that space- 3 separate rooms!

You can not get any better than the Sky Suite on a Princess ship. For viewing you will have great views. Hot tubs will be just outside the cabin in a public area, but probably mostly used by those in the sanctuary. Concierge Lounge, if you use it, will be on deck 14 mid aft, a fairly long way from your cabin. You should hear sound from the Movies Under the Stars which is directly across from your cabin. MUTS plays from mid morning until the evening movies end maybe around 10/11pm.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/staterooms/sky-suite-yp.html

We have a Sky Suite on Enchanted booked for the Norwegian Fjords and Iceland in July, so I will let you know how it goes on a probably cold and rainy cruise. Think we will have great views as the balcony has different aspects.  We are new to Princess and our last cruise was in a PH on the Solstice, which was phenomenal.  We are a bit concerned about the drink restrictions compared to Celebrity, whom we have cruised with many times. We have upgraded to the Premier Plus package, so most of the high end spirits and wines by the glass are included. Looking forward to it, but will miss the Martini Bar where we have spent many hours on every cruise. 

• Like 1

The sanctuary on Discovery has its own hot tub. The hot tubs just outside your sky suite are used by the general population.  I sailed Discovery in April on a warm weather sailing and used the sanctuary daily so I walked by your suite multiple times a day. On that sailing those hot tubs were almost always filled with 4-6 people. I even saw a man on his tip toes looking over the divider to your balcony. The front balcony is completely exposed to everyone on deck below.  

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

I definitely think the lack of over head covering on the balcony will be a nuisance due to the rainy cold weather.  This would be the same issue on the bliss PH which also does not have any over head covering on the huge balcony.

3 hours ago, Suite Susie said:

We are a bit concerned about the drink restrictions compared to Celebrity, whom we have cruised with many times.

This is why we favor Star Class on Royal. Everything on that ship is included, no questions asked. Starbucks, WiFi, All drinks, 24hr Royal Genie (Butler) who makes are of your reservations/changes, Same day dry cleaning/laundry, free movies, bottles of sparkling/wine... really the list goes on and on.

And IMHO when you are paying $20K+ for a suite, everything should be included.

3 hours ago, Suite Susie said:

We have a Sky Suite on Enchanted booked for the Norwegian Fjords and Iceland in July, so I will let you know how it goes on a probably cold and rainy cruise. Think we will have great views as the balcony has different aspects.  We are new to Princess and our last cruise was in a PH on the Solstice, which was phenomenal.  We are a bit concerned about the drink restrictions compared to Celebrity, whom we have cruised with many times. We have upgraded to the Premier Plus package, so most of the high end spirits and wines by the glass are included. Looking forward to it, but will miss the Martini Bar where we have spent many hours on every cruise. 

Fjords were warm and pleasant when we were there. Agree crossing to Iceland and return could be gloomy and choppy. More time to spend with Martinis in hand.

Martini Bar would be Crooners Lounge on deck 6 mid ship.

Good Sprits at Se, deck 5, should also have some special drinks in the afternoon which may include martinis.

6 hours ago, skynight said:

You should hear sound from the Movies Under the Stars which is directly across from your cabin. MUTS plays from mid morning until the evening movies end maybe around 10/11pm.

I have a question about this for anybody who has actually sailed in a Sky Suite. Is the sound for MUTS piped into the Sky Suite? I can't imagine how awful it would be for the rest of the passengers if MUTS was played loud enough to actually be understandable on the Sky Suite balcony.

If I had the money in my travel budget, I’d book one in a heartbeat.  The rooms are absolutely drop dead gorgeous!  We toured one while on the Discovery a couple of months ago during the christening of the ship!  If you can afford it, I’d say, go for it!  

Toured Sky Suite, disappointed as not impressed and was going to try and book 2 for next year.  Personally would agree with other poster about booking a PH or would prefer a Grand Suite on an older ship or an equal suite on another line.  I did not like walking in to the Sky Suite and right into the dining room.  The PH suites on older ships that have the dining table is nicer in my opinion as it is off to the side, you have an entry.

The deck is large and can be very windy and my opinion, only good if you want to watch MUTS.  Just my opinion.

You could not pay me to cruise in a Sky suite. We abhor the noise of the main pool and never sit there.  Add MUTS on top of that and our balcony would be unusable. Our balcony is one of the main reasons we cruise. But that’s what’s great about cruising, everyone likes different things. You’ll find me on the aft for a lot less money and a much better experience (for me).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

You could not pay me to cruise in a Sky suite. We abhor the noise of the main pool and never sit there.  Add MUTS on top of that and our balcony would be unusable. Our balcony is one of the main reasons we cruise. But that’s what’s great about cruising, everyone likes different things. You’ll find me on the aft for a lot less money and a much better experience (for me).

I agree with your answer.  Aft Suite on any ship is fine

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2022 at 3:27 PM, Thrak said:

I have a question about this for anybody who has actually sailed in a Sky Suite. Is the sound for MUTS piped into the Sky Suite? I can't imagine how awful it would be for the rest of the passengers if MUTS was played loud enough to actually be understandable on the Sky Suite balcony.

I did ask a couple of people who stayed and they said it was not a problem. The music during the day can be heard the most on the part of the balcony where you are watching Under the Stars Move (the extension to the private viewing lounge chairs. As you go inside and to the side balcony, and especially towards the hidden part by the Sanctuary area, it is quiet.

• Like 1