Cruise Vets - What are some items to pack you would NEVER leave home without???

joecool234

A note for those of you who must-must-must have a plug-in to multiply your electrical outlets:  Be sure you take it home.  Since they're mostly all white, and they plug into a white outlet, it's easy to leave them behind.  That's how we became the proud owners of a perfectly good 3-prong outlet extender last week.  

I gave it to my daughter, who ran a strip of blue print washi tape around it and painted the "face" blue.  Now she has a unique outlet extender.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2023 at 9:30 PM, donaldsc said:

You left off your espresso machine.  Don't laugh. There was a recent post that I read somewhere that a couple tried to bring their full sized espresso machine on the ship.

DON

My husband will likely try to do that no matter what i tell him.

• Haha 2

I may have already posted this, but in case I have not:

Larger size bandaids for the unexpected heel blister.

The ones that I carry are fabric and about 3 inches by 2 inches.  They are a live saver if you get a heel blister.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 12:16 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

I bring a couple of battery tea lights to serve as nightlights - one in the bathroom, and if needed the stateroom.

I know you made this post a long time ago, but will a simple tea light with a battery last for 10+ days and 8 hours a night?  How many replacement batteries do you have?

28 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I know you made this post a long time ago, but will a simple tea light with a battery last for 10+ days and 8 hours a night?  How many replacement batteries do you have?

The longevity of tea lights vary.  I had one tea light that I used every night on a recent 26 day cruise.  I have had others that barely made it thru a 7 day cruise.  I buy a small box of them from Amazon and usually bring about 4 along.  I just toss them into my toilet kit, or you could use an empty toilet roll to pack them (I use blue painters tape to secure the ends).  I do not carry any batteries for them, I would just discard them once they stop working.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 7:44 AM, CDNPolar said:

I bought a couple at the Dollar Store -- one has been plugged in (here at home) since April 1, 2023 & is basically always on since the bathroom it's in is kind of dim.....so 24/7 for 9 months on the same battery.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 57redbird said:

I bought a couple at the Dollar Store -- one has been plugged in (here at home) since April 1, 2023 & is basically always on since the bathroom it's in is kind of dim.....so 24/7 for 9 months on the same battery.

if it's on a battery, what is it plugged into?

$50 in $1 bills and $100 in $5 bills.

Great for tips to and from the cruise and on the ship.

Great for taxis as none of the credit card technology ever works

Make sure that ALL of your bills are in excellent condition as most locations in Mexico, the Caribbean and in Asia will not accept a torn bill.

22 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

Make sure that ALL of your bills are in excellent condition as most locations in Mexico, the Caribbean and in Asia will not accept a torn bill.

Why not use local currency? Imagine what the people have to pay to convert it.

1 hour ago, jlawrence01 said:

In Mexico, MOST vendors prefer to be paid in USD.  Ditto in many parts of Canada.  

Oh, sorry, I was thinking about Europe and SE Asia and???

• 2 weeks later...

From a seasoned cruiser here are some tips for first time cruisers:

• If you have a verandah or balcony, do bring the cushions in at night, especially and very humid regions, otherwise you will have wet cushions.  The same if it is to rain.
  • In the daytime if in a port with the same as above, bring your cushions in as they often clean the outside of this using lots of water and everything on your balcony is drenched.  On port days after removing the cushions, tip your chairs towards the cabin if you can.  Alert your steward why the cushions are inside so that don't put them back out.
  • During rainy season, do the above tips to keep everything dry.
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 1:52 PM, ScottC4746 said:

From a seasoned cruiser here are some tips for first time cruisers:

• If you have a verandah or balcony, do bring the cushions in at night, especially and very humid regions, otherwise you will have wet cushions.  The same if it is to rain.
  • In the daytime if in a port with the same as above, bring your cushions in as they often clean the outside of this using lots of water and everything on your balcony is drenched.  On port days after removing the cushions, tip your chairs towards the cabin if you can.  Alert your steward why the cushions are inside so that don't put them back out.
  • During rainy season, do the above tips to keep everything dry.

Alternately, ask your cabin steward for a couple extra towels and use them to wipe down your wet chair ... or fold them and use them as a cushion.  

• 3 weeks later...

back to the original topic... suggested item would be binoculars.  Just bought  new HD pair to take on a cruise.  Spent hours whale watching off Cabo San Lucas.  HD lenses made everything so much more clearer.  Now, as for the cushions that are being spoken about.  If the cushion are wet, I would tell my steward.  Let them deal with it ( it might actually go up the corporate ladder and into training).  I was in Haven, aft balcony, and the towels provided on the lunges were always dirty and damp. Once they supplied me with fresh ones, I would fold them over the top of the lounger, so I least I could use it for morning lounging with coffee.  

Two things I'll never cruise without:

* Large, strong magnetic hooks come in handy and will stick to your cabin walls. Great for hanging umbrellas, lanyards, sweaters, backpacks, swimsuits, etc.

* Full size trash bags (they come in handy for wet swimsuits and make excellent dirty clothes "hampers"). At the end of the cruise, we just throw the entire trash bag full of dirty clothes in our suitcase, all sealed up in a trash bag. Makes packing a breeze!

On 10/17/2023 at 3:57 AM, donaldsc said:

My android phone  also can be used when we travel.  However often a simple old fashioned solution is easier to use.  My simple alarm clock is such a solution.  It is also easier to see at night and it never needs to be kept charged.

DON

On 10/23/2023 at 3:59 PM, ldubs said:

The batteries last forever?  

Mine doesn't have batteries.   It's a windup.   Had it for years.
Only time I've had a problem with it was when the alarm went off in the TSA line.  Apparently the switch accidentally got bumped to 'set' when it was put in my bag of 'must-haves'.  🕖🤣

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, ChrysFox said:

Mine doesn't have batteries.   It's a windup.   Had it for years.
Only time I've had a problem with it was when the alarm went off in the TSA line.  Apparently the switch accidentally got bumped to 'set' when it was put in my bag of 'must-haves'.  🕖🤣

Your comment reminds me of those travel alarm clocks that folded up like a clam.  Very common back in the day.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2024 at 11:27 PM, moviegal said:

Two things I'll never cruise without:

* Large, strong magnetic hooks come in handy and will stick to your cabin walls. Great for hanging umbrellas, lanyards, sweaters, backpacks, swimsuits, etc.

* Full size trash bags (they come in handy for wet swimsuits and make excellent dirty clothes "hampers"). At the end of the cruise, we just throw the entire trash bag full of dirty clothes in our suitcase, all sealed up in a trash bag. Makes packing a breeze!

I've got the wife and one of our adult children on board (no pun intended) with the magnetic hook part, but the full size trash bag idea is pretty genius to me. I may suggest that, since 3 of my kids are technically "adults" now, and they have the opportunity to be "responsible" haha!

Seriously, though. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 1

we now use one of the Marshalls/TJMaxx large reusable shopping bag as a hamper. It's easier to hang on a hook if needed or it will stand on its own, unlike a regular trash bag.

We also use them as beach bags since they are spacious, light, easy to clean and more or less waterproof.

image.thumb.jpeg.d2ac396eac782805253802c208c42fad.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/7/2024 at 4:29 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we now use one of the Marshalls/TJMaxx large reusable shopping bag as a hamper. It's easier to hang on a hook if needed or it will stand on its own, unlike a regular trash bag.

We also use them as beach bags since they are spacious, light, easy to clean and more or less waterproof.

image.thumb.jpeg.d2ac396eac782805253802c208c42fad.jpeg

That’s cute! I often buy a cheap supermarket shopping bag as a souvenir when we travel. My two current favourites are one from Albertson’s in Idaho, and one from New Zealand. They weigh very little, and fold nicely flat. Easy to get home, and handy to use on a cruise! 

• Like 3