Here's a scarey headline for CCL stockholders: Carnival Stock Could Fall to $0 in a Worst Case Scenario

cruising deacon

3 hours ago, tetleytea said:

I thought the drive-in Walgreens testing was anything but stressful, but it also didn't cost $129.   If that's what they charge now, and the balcony itself only costs $700 for the week, that is a hefty chunk of change.

I just checked the Walgreens' website.  In multiple places it said drive thru testing is free:

Free drive-thru COVID-19 testing is available to patients ages 3+.* If you receive a Diagnostic Test and have insurance, you will be asked to show your insurance card at the appointment and the lab may bill your insurer. You will not receive a bill from Walgreens or from any lab partner.

But when beginning to make an appointment this box pops up (which definitely wasn't there when we last tested in March):

image.png.9922e11c0e71e3ad6d5bd29cef111624.png

I didn't go thru the process of making an appointment so I don't know what the price is but it definitely looks like a recent change since the 'free' test is still hyped on the first page of the testing website.

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

8.65 USD−0.22 (2.48%)today

Why do I feel like it's a good time to suggest to my son to buy 100 shares? Obviously, it would be too late for him to reap the SHB perk on our upcoming 21 day Princess cruise he'll be on in a couple of days. But he is also booked on a 20 day Seabourn cruise next July and would get $250 of that back in shareholder benefits OBC on that cruise.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

2 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Came here to read about CCL stock convo and realize it had turned into a Covid testing convo. 😑

If all the phamacies want to charge 20% of the cost of the cabin itself to administer covid testing, less people will want to even bother.

What impact will that have on the stock?

53 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Why do I feel like it's a good time to suggest to my son to buy 100 shares? Obviously, it would be too late for him to reap the SHB perk on our upcoming 21 day Princess cruise he'll be on in a couple of days. But he is also booked on a 20 day Seabourn cruise next July and would get $250 of that back in shareholder benefits OBC on that cruise.

He could try to get the OBC if he brought.  You never know.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 4:42 PM, caribill said:

CCL was today's most active stock of all stocks on the NYSE, Nasdaq, and AMEX.

Today: 109,656.6k  shares  vs. 90 day average of 41,261.3k shares.

Remember: For every share sold, there is a buyer who thinks the future price will be higher.

Lol, I guess I'm part of that percentage. I just needed a few more shares to make it to 100. We are long-time cruisers of Princess and have four cruises booked in the next six months, so we are way overdue for our OBC 🥂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

He could try to get the OBC if he brought.  You never know.

Unfortunately, according to the CCL SHB rules, you have to submit the application at least 3 weeks prior to the cruise start date:

The benefit is applicable on sailings through July 31, 2023 aboard the brands listed below. Certain restrictions apply. Applications to receive these benefits should be made at least three weeks prior to cruise departure date.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KKB said:

Just changed yesterday; not sure if insurance will cover.

Ordering the proctored home tests are much cheaper

I think Federal funds for free testing have run out. If so, look for more than Walgreen's to start charging.

(By the way, I think Walgreen's were paid about $60 for eachg test when the Feds paid for it. $129 is a super ripoff.)

My insurance will only cover tests that a doctor orders. No sure how many doctors will order tests for people wanting them just for travel.

In my opinion, as long as pre-cruise tests are required by the cruise lines, they need to provide them at the cruise terminal at a reasonable price. A family of four would probably decide not to cruise if faced with over $500 of test costs at Walgreen's and similar providers.

19 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

NEVER "brag" about your cruise experience.  There is only one person (or couple) that can get away with that.  YOU are not that person.  I will concede that you have sailed on more cruise lines than we have.  'Nuff said.

I was just rebuffing your assumption regarding the limited experience that you had pertained to everyone.  The experience that we had, which I'll reiterate was not limited at all,  also was not pigeonholed to just Princess or another single line since we have sailed on four different lines with various cruiser percentages on board.  Wasn't bragging at all, just presenting the facts.  We sailed on all mass market lines, with two of them being more family oriented with Royal and Carnival and two of them being a bit more upscale with Celebrity and Princess.

13 hours ago, travelhound said:

I think the entire cruise industry is in danger of going bankrupt, but Carnival is especially vulnerable due to their massive debt.  I have no problem with vaccine requirements, but testing all passengers is excessive and unsustainable.  Most other vacation options do not have the stress associated with testing everyone.  Given the choice, I think many people would choose a less stressful vacation alternative.

If you think the entire cruise industry is going to go bankrupt, then why are you wasting your time posting on a cruise board?  Why not go post on TripAdvisor regarding some land based vacation you have gone on previously.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

If you think the entire cruise industry is going to go bankrupt, then why are you wasting your time posting on a cruise board?  Why not go post on TripAdvisor regarding some land based vacation you have gone on previously.

I second that. We can all read the news and make our own decisions. That's the beauty of free enterprise. You might consider going to some other street corner and preach your divine financial wisdom. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

FCC is the only reason right now.  I certainly would not commit a significant amount of new money until the industry can normalize.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

There's a flip side:   you are only hearing from the people who are here and posting at all.  Which would mean you are only hearing from the people who think the outlook is rosy.   Personally, I don't think the entire cruise industry is going down, but Carnival will certainly not be the last in line to file.   And if Carnival did, you could probably still cruise with them--although the experience will not be as positive, and you won't be able to get your shareholder OBC back or virtually the entire investment you paid for the shares.

1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

There's a flip side:   you are only hearing from the people who are here and posting at all.  Which would mean you are only hearing from the people who think the outlook is rosy.   Personally, I don't think the entire cruise industry is going down, but Carnival will certainly not be the last in line to file.   And if Carnival did, you could probably still cruise with them--although the experience will not be as positive, and you won't be able to get your shareholder OBC back or virtually the entire investment you paid for the shares.

I'm not a stock market expert, but wouldn't Carnival Corp be able to avoid bankruptcy by divesting itself of one or two cruise lines in their portfolio?  I would think they might be in a better position than most smaller cruise conglomerates.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I'm not a stock market expert, but wouldn't Carnival Corp be able to avoid bankruptcy by divesting itself of one or two cruise lines in their portfolio?  I would think they might be in a better position than most smaller cruise conglomerates.

Probably.   But by the time that news even became a rumor of happening, you would have lost more than $250 on your stock value.

7 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

Probably.   But by the time that news even became a rumor of happening, you would have lost more than $250 on your stock value.

I bought a few years ago at $61.00, so I've already dropped by $250, but I'll get it back on my next HAL cruise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

I'm not doing the math?   $61x100 = $6100.   $8.74 x 100 = $874.   Meaning you lost $5226 to get the OBC.

It's not like I knew it would be down to $8.74 when I bought at $61.  I also own much more than the minimum number of shares as well.  I just need to sit tight, it'll rebound, (maybe not to $61 in my lifetime but it will rebound in my opinion.)

Maybe I should have said that I dropped by at least $250...

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

Guest ldtr
57 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Keep in mind that most ships in the lines are encumbered. if they sell a line that portion of the debt would go with the line. The amount of money raised by the sale would be limited until they show that the line would be able to operate profitability.

By selling off a line they also give up future income that the line would generate.

It really would become a trade off in amount of debt held by that line, any additional payments vs the reduction in total revenue. 

The cruise line corps actions are pretty limited, until they demonstrate that they can be consistently profitable. Until then any sale lines sold would be at discounted prices.

1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

I lost more than that in the last week, LOL.   I'm in it for the long haul.  Will  continue to obtain OBC from Princess and Carnival sailings, 1050.00 worth over the next 19 months.

• Like 3