Covid Protocols for next year

I thought i was smart to book an alaskan cruise next june as i’m from vancouver and could quarantine in vancouver. But what if they don’t allow you to quarantine on the ship and force you to quarantine at the next port. Can you imagine being stranded in alaska and trying to get home from one of those little towns?  Am i worrying over nothing here? Do you think they will let you stay on the ship? I guess it makes sense as you did pay for the cruise but who knows. Maybe no partial refund anymore? I wonder when they will announce their policy.

15 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I thought i was smart to book an alaskan cruise next june as i’m from vancouver and could quarantine in vancouver. But what if they don’t allow you to quarantine on the ship and force you to quarantine at the next port. Can you imagine being stranded in alaska and trying to get home from one of those little towns?  Am i worrying over nothing here? Do you think they will let you stay on the ship? I guess it makes sense as you did pay for the cruise but who knows. Maybe no partial refund anymore? I wonder when they will announce their policy.

No one has a clue what if any protocols will be in place a year from now.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Can you imagine being stranded in alaska and trying to get home from one of those little towns?

I can imagine it, but it wouldn't be my first choice!

41 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Am i worrying over nothing here? Do you think they will let you stay on the ship? I guess it makes sense as you did pay for the cruise but who knows. Maybe no partial refund anymore? I wonder when they will announce their policy.

As you undoubtedly know, trying to predict covid policies is like trying to nail down a blob of mercury. Noone has any clue what might be taking place even a few months from now, let alone next year. I share your concerns, having another international cruise booked for January. Got lucky with the recent one back in May. All we can do is hope for the best. If covid were to get really bad again, it's possible the cruise lines will be lenient with cancellation / rebookings, though I wouldn't count on it. 

13 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

However are covid protocols announced somewhat in advance so you know the protocols before final payment?

Well ... yes and no. In the early days of the return to cruising, final payment deadlines were significantly pushed back, meaning that frequently the protocols had been announced. But now that the final payment windows are back to what they were, that's not necessarily the case--especially since protocols can change very quickly in response to surges and such. 😕

That being said, I totally agree that it's too early to stress about it now! Heck, by next June we could all be under shutdown for a virus that doesn't even exist yet. 😆

Men do change, and change comes like a little wind that ruffles the curtains at dawn, and it comes like the stealthy perfume of wildflowers hidden in the grass. — John Steinbeck. 

Covid policies are much like men.

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

However are covid protocols announced somewhat in advance so you know the protocols before final payment?

No, covid protocols can change at any time and can be effective immediately.

Covid policies are fluid and constantly changing. For example, I just read that on HAL Rotterdam, for three sailings in July, they are Not Requiring a pre-cruise Covid test. Will be interesting to see how that works out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Royal Caribbean will tell you that 2 million (maybe close to 3 million now) passengers have cruised since the restart last year. The vast majority cruise without incident. It is hard playing this "what if lightning strikes" questions now let alone a year from now. There is another thread with actual reported case counts from ships today. A few people testing positive a day (crew + passengers). Crew cases are detected a lot more frequently because they are required to test.

Stop worrying. Go on a cruise. Enjoy. We are on our 8th post restart cruise. 

22 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Just go with the flow, expect change and adapt as you go. If you want certainty don't book a cruise or any other trip and just stay home. We have done 4 cruises since August 2021 and all have been subject to changes during the trip.

21 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Well ... yes and no. In the early days of the return to cruising, final payment deadlines were significantly pushed back, meaning that frequently the protocols had been announced. But now that the final payment windows are back to what they were, that's not necessarily the case--especially since protocols can change very quickly in response to surges and such. 😕

That being said, I totally agree that it's too early to stress about it now! Heck, by next June we could all be under shutdown for a virus that doesn't even exist yet. 😆

hope it is not Monkey pox!.  But seriously every new virus could be interesting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, latebuyer said:

No i'm not staying home but travel is a lot riskier now and people who don't acknowledge and prepare for that will get in trouble.  

But is it?  Between Noro and other respiratory illnesses that were rotinely passed along on crowded ships prior to 2020, arguably things now might be safer because of the awareness and a higher degree of paranoia from those with co-morbidities...

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 9:01 PM, latebuyer said:

No i'm not staying home but travel is a lot riskier now and people who don't acknowledge and prepare for that will get in trouble.  

Not riskier just different. You could always have been put off a ship due to illness or accident and had to make your own way home. Just plan for the worst i.e. good travel insurance and enjoy the cruise.