Best Time and Itinerary for Alaska Cruise

Sunset329

We have never taken a cruise to Alaska, but plan to take the leap in 2023. What is the best itinerary for a cruise to Alaska? What is the best month for an Alaskan cruise? Finally, does the choice of ship make any difference for a cruise to Alaska? Thanks for any comments or assistance you can provide us.

Hi

IMO - The best Alaskan itinerary includes both the Inside Passage and Glacier Bay.

We've gone up in early May and had beautiful weather and same with early September.  Both of these are a little lower priced as well.

May depending on which sailing everything might not be running 100% at the ports.  September there will be a lot of "sales" in the stores before they close for the season.

We did one in May that the ship didn't have any Alaska Brewing Company beer on board until we made the first port.  LOL.

As for choice of ships - you want a mid-size to get into GB, the mega ships cannot.

Have fun planning.

K

• Like 2

The above is not true..all Princess ships can enter Glacier Bay.  Even larger go there, such as NCL Encore.  The largest of Princess cannot do the true inside passage from Vancouver, so sail from Seattle.  Suggest a cruise from Vancouver, on a ship with wrap around promenade deck.  Pay attention to port times, and flight costs.  Also hours of daylight.  It may be cooler in May, but more day.Ishtar than in Sept, Oct.  Lots of info on the Ports of Call board for Alaska.  EM

• Like 2

Any of the Grand Class of ships. I much prefer them to the Royal Class and they have a full wrap-around Promenade Deck. Our most recent Alaska cruise was on Royal Princess and I definitely prefer the smaller ships - especially for Alaska.

As for the Inside Passage:  We met folks onboard who were very upset that they were sold a cruise that included the Inside Passage when the ship can't actually sail that route. The captain said it "could" be done but they can't get permission for that large of a ship to sail that passage. The Grand Class of ships has no problem with the route. Please note that the actual Inside Passage portion of the cruise "may" be while it's dark outside which negates the allure of doing that route. Our recent cruise was in May and, even if the ship had been allowed to sail that route, it would have been dark .

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Please note that the actual Inside Passage portion of the cruise "may" be while it's dark outside which negates the allure of doing that route. 

Exactly!  Many people get led astray by descriptions and titles of itineraries and don't really understand the small "details".

• Like 1

I agree with going to Glacier Bay ... it will be a day you won't soon forget.  

We have gone in every month of the 'Alaska Season' except for April and October.  

In April and May, you will run the chance of not being able to get all the way down the Fjord to view the Glacier (not sure if this is true for Glacier Bay).  Our friends went in late June and had perfect weather in every port.  

We had excellent weather at the end of July.  We also had a mixture of cool and warm weather but no rain several times in late August and early September but then very cold, rainy and windy weather in late September.  

I'd shoot for July / August for a better chance of good weather but if you are looking for a bargain, late August and early September if you are looking for bargain rates.  And .. there should be no issues with getting up close to the glacier.  If at all possible, Alaska is the place you want to get a balcony.  

Also, you might find a flight to Seattle a lot cheaper than flying into Vancouver.  We try to always go out of San Francisco, 3 more days of cruising with that itinerary.  They have plenty of events, lectures, activities on the ship related to Alaska while onboard.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a clear favorite time to do Alaska, which is in mid- to late-May.  However, different times have their different merits.  Late June gets the really long days, July seems to get the best weather, August gets the salmon runs, September is cheap fares (similar to May's) and shopping.  

I like Glacier Bay.  I adopted a pet otter there.  He just doesn't know yet that he's adopted.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We have visited Alaska 5 times and have had excellent weather every time. It's nice to be lucky sometimes.

2011 - Early September - 10 Day Round Trip San Francisco
2016 - June/July - 13 Day Connoisseur Cruise Tour
2017 - July/August - 7 Week Camping Northern California To Fairbanks
2019 - Late May - 15 Day Connoisseur Cruise Tour
2022 - Mid May- 12 Day Round Trip Vancouver

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sunset329 said:

We have never taken a cruise to Alaska, but plan to take the leap in 2023. What is the best itinerary for a cruise to Alaska? What is the best month for an Alaskan cruise? Finally, does the choice of ship make any difference for a cruise to Alaska? Thanks for any comments or assistance you can provide us.

We've done Alaska cruises every month from May to September. As for the weather, flip a coin, it's hit and miss. Could be sunny and warm, or, cloudy and rainy. You never know. Also, pick a cruise that includes the Hubbard Glacier. The ships can get up pretty close to the glacier, and if your lucky you'll see and hear some calving of the ice. Incredible sounds. You'll never experience such a site, going down Glacier Bay.

• Like 1

Been to Alaska twice.  Both times in July.  The first time was beautiful weather everyday (including our 7 day land portion on our own).  The second time it pretty much rained everyday.  Definitely a crap shoot.

I also agree with picking an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay and a Grand Class ship.

• Like 1

Best time = July (longest daylight, means more sight seeing). But any month is great, and there are pros/cons to each month of the season (July also has more people (kids are out of school), more crowded, and costs more). I prefer early September.

Best itinerary = Glacier Bay, and full (includes southern) inside passage. I also like Sitka to be on the port stop. I rarely find these itineraries on Princess. As mentioned, the larger ships don't sail through the southern part.

But - any time and any itinerary is excellent for Alaska in my opinion. I'd rather sail anywhere in Alaska anytime of year, than anywhere else. :) 

• Like 2

We have sailed in July, late August and twice in September. The first time in late August, we saw Hubbard Glacier and it was glorious! We also saw the Northern Lights on August 28th! Both September trips had great and not so great weather. 

The first time, we sailed from Vancouver, BC.

I suggest looking at the itinerary in detail.Look at the times for each port 

You will have a better chance to a really make your way down to the glaciers the later you go. The Captain was able to get us all of the way down Tracy Arm Fjord in September,  but not in July.

• Like 1

To miss the inside passage on the east side of Vancouver Island is a huge loss.  The bigger (Royal class) ships sail west of Vancouver Island, 20 miles off shore... so you get 2 sea days vs 2 days of amazing scenery and critters.   Both cruises are titled "Inside Passage", but the big ships don't enter the inside passage until they are almost to Ketchikan.  Also, my preference is for northbound as the scenery gets more spectacular each day!  I'd also opt for early season rather than late due to length of days... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1