Missing Baggage Issues at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport?

We continue to hear horror stories about travelling to/from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport.  We are flying into Schiphol Airport on July 9 for a cruise, and was interested if anyone has had any issues with lost or delayed baggage?

We did four incoming flights last month.  Various airlines.  Two of them international airports.

The one thing that remains in our mind is passing through the baggage areas and seeing what appeared to be acres of bags all pushed together.  Complemented by huge line ups at all the various airline  baggage service desks.

We have read that Schiphol, all London airports, and Paris are a huge mess.  We are looking at a routing to Greece so we are watching the reports in the European media. 

We do not check bags but neither do we want to wait in line for hours and miss connection after connection.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kamfish642 said:

We continue to hear horror stories about travelling to/from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport.  We are flying into Schiphol Airport on July 9 for a cruise, and was interested if anyone has had any issues with lost or delayed baggage?

We arrived in early June and although our bags had priority tags on them it still took nearly 2 hours to get them. 

We have a connection flight in Frankfurt to Amsterdam with a 4 1/2-hour layover between flights.  Hopefully that is sufficient time so that bags make it on flight from FRA to AMS without getting lost.

• Like 1

We landed at Schiphol on June 17 and took almost 2 hours to get through immigration. Was afraid our luggage would have been already picked up and placed somewhere far from the designated conveyor but it turned out we got unintentional baggage synchronization and only had to wait about 5 minutes for them to come out - two wrongs made a right in this case!

My sister and her husband arrived on one of the earliest arriving flights from the US, about 1.5 hours before us and got through immigration fine. The later your arrival is the worse it may get.

In 2015 we did a land trip flying to Paris (landing on our wedding anniversary), and then Amsterdam, before flying back to Newark.

One bag did get "lost" between Paris and Amsterdam. It did show up at our hotel later that evening. BTW, the lost baggage help people blamed Paris.

All these tales are sad.  Having recently flown around Europe (domestically) and from Europe back to the USA, I think it is an understatement to say that everything having to do with airports and the airlines are a mess.  Be it delays, cancelations, baggage delays, baggage loses, long lines, etc. etc.  It is all awful!  The best advice we have given some friends and family is go out of your way to use non-stop flights and plan on flying-in to cruise ports several days early.  At the current time having a normal flying experience is the exception rather than the rule.

Hank

• Like 1

The horror stories continue…..we flew from Lyon, France to Amsterdam to Calgary and our luggage was lost for three days with many many stories as to where it was.  The good news was that we were coming home; this was in October so it had begun then.  In April we were to fly to NYC through Toronto and our flight was cancelled the night before resulting in us booking a last minute flight at a horrible price.  In Toronto there was a four hour delay in our flight and we found out when we got to NYC that our luggage had sat in the rain.  We had four days before our TA so thanks to a great hotel with complimentary laundry we made it on with dry clothes,  The latest disaster was last week returning from a Celebrity Alaska cruise….our flight ended abruptly in Edmonton as the connecting flight was cancelled (we were going to Saskatoon ( SK).  I now have two claims in to the Airline involved, which should result in four $1,000.00 cash payments.  I am grateful for The Passenger Bill of Rights.

We do not have a luggage issue.  We did have a 7 hour flight delay from Faro at the end of June  that fell well within the EU261/2014  regulations

So, we have put in a claim for 600 euro each.  No response so far.   

We are not flying anywhere until at least mid Sept.  If we were, it would be cabin baggage only.

At the end of the day I believe that it is very much down to luck.

Best advice I would give folks on a TA flight is to book a flight that arrives early in the morning.  Not mid morning/lunchtime  like many others from NA it seems.

And don't get too attached to the items in that case you might have checked!

Edited by iancal

36 minutes ago, iancal said:

We do not have a luggage issue.  We did have a 7 hour flight delay from Faro at the end of June  that fell well within the EU261/2014  regulations

So, we have put in a claim for 600 euro each.  No response so far.   

We are not flying anywhere until at least mid Sept.  If we were, it would be cabin baggage only.

At the end of the day I believe that it is very much down to luck.

Best advice I would give folks on a TA flight is to book a flight that arrives early in the morning.  Not mid morning/lunchtime  like many others from NA it seems.

And don't get too attached to the items in that case you might have checked!

Good luck with your claim, it all depends on if the delay was within the airlines control.   Let us know how you make out,  there are so many delays currently it will be interesting to see how these are considered.  

We are flying into Amsterdam for our July 31 cruise.  We purchased our flights through FlightEase...  I know that HAL will do whatever they can to get us to our ship if we run into flight issues, however, what about our luggage -- if they get lost or are late arriving -- does HAL take care of getting our luggage to us on the ship?  We fly into Amsterdam the morning of our cruise...

55 minutes ago, fkfad said:

We are flying into Amsterdam for our July 31 cruise.  We purchased our flights through FlightEase...  I know that HAL will do whatever they can to get us to our ship if we run into flight issues, however, what about our luggage -- if they get lost or are late arriving -- does HAL take care of getting our luggage to us on the ship?  We fly into Amsterdam the morning of our cruise...

I don't  know specifically about HAL, but we were once on a Baltic cruise on Princess where I heard a woman in the laundry room say that her lost luggage had finally arrived. I think it was about day 7 give or take a day. (She also said Princess had been very good about giving her credit in order to buy clothing onboard.)

51 minutes ago, fkfad said:

The airline is responsible for getting your luggage to you. Being on a cruise kinda complicates that, so maybe flight ease folks could dealing with the airline, but I would report to the airline directly when you arrive as well (if your luggage is not there)

We just went through the 'no luggage' returning from our Alaska cruise, into Toronto, but luckily it was coming home so not as big a deal (took 6 days to get our luggage delivered to us at home).  Of that 6 days, it was 3 days to get through to the airline customer service by phone to report and 3 days to have it flown to our town and delivered.  

We are doing Norway in September and like you flying in that morning, so really hoping the issues are resolved by then. We'll be taking more carry on than usual though!

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I don't  know specifically about HAL, but we were once on a Baltic cruise on Princess where I heard a woman in the laundry room say that her lost luggage had finally arrived. I think it was about day 7 give or take a day. (She also said Princess had been very good about giving her credit in order to buy clothing onboard.)

That's a good point, if your luggage does not make it, look into what can be claimed through the airline, through your credit card insurance and HAL.  There are rules based on how many hours or days your luggage is delayed about what you can just buy and claim back.

Make sure you have Insurance so you can shop right away if needed.   Also don’t pack anything that you can’t live without in your checked luggage.  All medical items and a change of clothes and valuables should be in carryon only.   It shouldn’t need to be stated but…..

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

Make sure you have Insurance so you can shop right away if needed.   Also don’t pack anything that you can’t live without in your checked luggage.  All medical items and a change of clothes and valuables should be in carryon only.   It shouldn’t need to be stated but…..

No, but on the news here in Toronto last week an elderly woman arriving in Canada without her luggage was bemoaning the fact that she didn't have her medication. I guess it DOES need to be stated.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1