Last Minute Question while Packing

1 hour ago, BND said:

For the MDR dinner my DH brings a couple of pairs of khakis and a pair of dressier slacks with one tie, dress shirt and polos.  I wear capris (not denim) or dresses every night.  All just as easy to pack as shorts.

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

My DH and I did dress for dinner- we didn't wear evening gowns or Tux's, but decent CLEAN long pants and collard shirts.  I cannot understand why people have issues dealing with pants?  In the evening the ships are typically cool.  

12 hours ago, johnjen said:

Are they still enforcing the ridiculous "no shorts allowed in MDR" rule?

All unnecessary. Shorts. Polo shirts. Tennis shoes. All perfectly acceptable. 

Formal Night on the Wonder of the Seas

image.png.f7d5b9dd2cec65f917ca1dddaf037960.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

All unnecessary. Shorts. Polo shirts. Tennis shoes. All perfectly acceptable. 

Formal Night on the Wonder of the Seas

image.png.f7d5b9dd2cec65f917ca1dddaf037960.png

LOL.  Not going to change what we bring.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

however the ship does have guidelines .

….and that’s the start..some people just don’t want to conform to other people’s wishes, even if for only a few hours or less.  Guidelines or not, they’re going to do what they want.

14 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

….and that’s the start..some people just don’t want to conform to other people’s wishes, even if for only a few hours or less.  Guidelines or not, they’re going to do what they want.

It's important to note that dress is Royal Caribbean's "suggested" attire rather than "required" attire.  There's nothing wrong with choosing not to follow "suggestions".   To participate in the Chef's table it is "required" which is completely different.

• Like 1

My husband wears shorts and collared shirt to MDR and trust me, he's more covered up than some of the women I've seen.  Short dresses, sleeveless...my Catholic School fifth grade nun wouldn't know what to do with herself.  None of that has stopped me from polishing off the bread basket, however.  What other people wear or don't wear to dinner does not impact my dining experience at all.  How can men wearing shorts bother anyone when you might see them for 30 seconds before they sit down? Just enjoy your apple blossom and ice cream--it's all good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mabel the Great..Dane said:

My husband wears shorts and collared shirt to MDR and trust me, he's more covered up than some of the women I've seen.  Short dresses, sleeveless...my Catholic School fifth grade nun wouldn't know what to do with herself.  None of that has stopped me from polishing off the bread basket, however.  What other people wear or don't wear to dinner does not impact my dining experience at all.  How can men wearing shorts bother anyone when you might see them for 30 seconds before they sit down? Just enjoy your apple blossom and ice cream--it's all good.

Well said!

9 hours ago, johnjen said:

Well, we've been cruising for a long time and noticed the gradual allowances of people slipping through even when the rule was still active. I prefer wearing shorts to the MDR. So now you have an understanding that, some people, incredible as it may seem - may host differing opinions. I cannot understand why you have issues with me wanting to wear shorts to dinner. That is YOUR problem.

I walked past a head waiter once as he was trying to calm down a couple who were complaining about someone not dressed 'properly' on a formal night.

Has anyone ever heard of a complaint about people being too dressed up?  

2 minutes ago, flamingos said:

I have a foot injury - I only wear tennis shoes.  I have a black pair for dress-up night.  🙂

I did not say "tennis shoes".  How did you get that quote?

On 7/6/2022 at 2:21 PM, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

It's important to note that dress is Royal Caribbean's "suggested" attire rather than "required" attire.  There's nothing wrong with choosing not to follow "suggestions".   To participate in the Chef's table it is "required" which is completely different.

I’m sure that’s what I said….people will not conform to other people’s wishes - in this case - Royal’s suggested dress codes. They will do what they want regardless of the social graces.  I can only dress how I feel is appropriate and at the same time, follow suggested dress codes. 

12 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I’m sure that’s what I said….people will not conform to other people’s wishes - in this case - Royal’s suggested dress codes. They will do what they want regardless of the social graces.  I can only dress how I feel is appropriate and at the same time, follow suggested dress codes. 

Social graces!  Jeez we’re not going to the White House or Buckingham Palace for a state dinner, we’re floating across the ocean enjoying a leisurely vacation, casual it is for many of us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Social graces!  Jeez we’re not going to the White House or Buckingham Palace for a state dinner, we’re floating across the ocean enjoying a leisurely vacation, casual it is for many of us.

Well Jeez…..so judgemental…if you don’t like what you read..just keep on scrolling….I didn’t ask for comments…and it wasn’t directed at you.  In case you don’t know….a Main Dining Room is not a ‘casual’ environment….the Wind Jammer is. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I can only dress how I feel is appropriate and at the same time, follow suggested dress codes. 

And no one will complain about you dressing your best.  I think that's the difference.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Well Jeez…..so judgemental…if you don’t like what you read..just keep on scrolling….I didn’t ask for comments…and it wasn’t directed at you.  In case you don’t know….a Main Dining Room is not a ‘casual’ environment….the Wind Jammer is. 

Can't we all just get along?..........

Clothing is very subjective and there are as many tastes in clothes as there are number of people. What looks fine to someone might look gaudy to someone else.  As long as the parts of the body which should be covered are, you won't be turned away.  It's a slippery slope when people try to get by wearing cut off t-shirts with vulgar writing, very short hot pants, thong bikinis, bathrobes and a baseball cap worn backwards to boot.

Then there are those who dress formal in the most God-awful suits and dresses ever imaginable. There is something for everyone and it should be up to RCI to enforce its policies and not the passengers, IMHO. Personally, I like to people watch and  have a good laugh at some of the sights but to complain? Never! It wasn't me. 😇

5 minutes ago, flamingos said:

And no one will complain about you dressing your best.  I think that's the difference.

LOL…I’m sure that someone would complain about something, there’s always THAT person!  But at least I would feel that I am dressed appropriately for the dining venue.  
I don’t complain about what someone is wearing because I haven’t walked in their shoes….but when I see baseball hats, cut-off t-shirts, or even dresses that should have more fabric on them, I just raise my eyebrows…and carry on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Clothing is very subjective and there are as many tastes in clothes as there are number of people. What looks fine to someone might look gaudy to someone else.  As long as the parts of the body which should be covered are, you won't be turned away.  It's a slippery slope when people try to get by wearing cut off t-shirts with vulgar writing, very short hot pants, thong bikinis, bathrobes and a baseball cap worn backwards to boot.

Then there are those who dress formal in the most God-awful suits and dresses ever imaginable. There is something for everyone and it should be up to RCI to enforce its policies and not the passengers, IMHO. Personally, I like to people watch and  have a good laugh at some of the sights but to complain? Never! It wasn't me. 😇

Complaining to whom?  Of course RCI should enforce their own rules and so be it. I have seen ball caps being worn in the MDR….but I don’t complain to anyone.  I don’t care for the look….but it seems that many do. Social graces have changed over the generations and there are as many of the ‘younger’ generation who judge the appearance of the ‘older’ generation as is the opposite.  Expressing opinions isn’t complaining…I’m not perfect and haven’t walked a mile in anyone else’s shoes so I don’t have the right to complain…..but I am allowed an opinion. 😊

1 minute ago, ladysail2 said:

Complaining to whom?  Of course RCI should enforce their own rules and so be it. I have seen ball caps being worn in the MDR….but I don’t complain to anyone.  I don’t care for the look….but it seems that many do. Social graces have changed over the generations and there are as many of the ‘younger’ generation who judge the appearance of the ‘older’ generation as is the opposite.  Expressing opinions isn’t complaining…I’m not perfect and haven’t walked a mile in anyone else’s shoes so I don’t have the right to complain…..but I am allowed an opinion. 😊

People do complain to the waiters and MDR staff - I've heard them. They typically don't say anything to anyone unless it is causing a big distraction or is clearly inappropriate. I just have a good laugh and go back to enjoying my dinner. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

People do complain to the waiters and MDR staff - I've heard them. They typically don't say anything to anyone unless it is causing a big distraction or is clearly inappropriate. I just have a good laugh and go back to enjoying my dinner. 

People do have the right to express their feelings, the staff has to determine if it’s justified or not to change the situation.  I think the funniest situation I saw was when an older (70+) woman felt it was okay to place her cane on the table….someone did complain (not me)…and a staff member asked her to remove it. She grumbled, but she did.  It wasn’t a funny, ha ha, type of situation…but funny interesting that she thought it was okay to place her cane across a tableclothed table.  Maybe where she comes from, it is okay. Who knows.

3 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

<<<SNIP>>> interesting that she thought it was okay to place her cane across a tableclothed table <<<SNIP>>>

Nasty. Just think of all the places the cane has been! Anywhere the bottoms of our shoes have been! (Think pets doing their business). That's why it always drives me nuts to see people in restaurants in booths or chairs with their feet tucked up under themselves. Other people have to sit in those same chairs....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

Nasty. Just think of all the places the cane has been! Anywhere the bottoms of our shoes have been! (Think pets doing their business). That's why it always drives me nuts to see people in restaurants in booths or chairs with their feet tucked up under themselves. Other people have to sit in those same chairs....

Not to mention sticking already chewed gum on the backside of the table.....Gross