What TV news channel does HAL have?

BetsyS.

It may depend upon the ship and its availability to access TV feeds.  Those ships that have the interactive TVs may have more news channels than those that do not.  CNN and Fox News are the channels that I recall are the most frequently accessible.  

I agree with Chinook Wind about MSNBC, BBC and Fox being the news channels on ships I've been on in the past 6 plus months (N. Amsterdam, Eurodam and Rotterdam).

David

This week on the Zaandam: CNN, MSNBC, FOX plus 2 movie channels which played a limited selection of movies and 2 TV channels which played a limited selection of popular shows. 

On the N. Statendam the same said news channels, a wide selection of on demand movies, a sports channel.  The on demand tv popular shows was not available 

• Thanks 1

We were just on the Nieuw Statendam with the Northern Isles cruise out of Copenhagen and the news channels were MSNBC, Fox, and CNN.  They also had HGTV, Food Network, a sports channel, and a few other channels.  Plenty of on demand movies too.

• Thanks 1

I have to relate one funny story of my last cruise where the TV in the Neptune Lounge was always tuned to news.  But there were two suite guests who obviously had very different ideas of which channel delivered actual "news".  Every time we were in there, whether it was on Fox News or CNBC, the "other" guest would snort in disgust and then change the channel to their preferred, opposite one.  It actually became a running joke with our family, wondering which channel would be on before we visited the Neptune Lounge, and hoping that the offended party would then arrive to change the channel!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

We were just on the Nieuw Statendam with the Northern Isles cruise out of Copenhagen and the news channels were MSNBC, Fox, and CNN.  They also had HGTV, Food Network, a sports channel, and a few other channels.  Plenty of on demand movies too.

Thanks that is a broad selection of channels. 

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Please explain to me why anyone cruises to watch TV?  I get enough of that at home!  

I won't say I 'cruise to watch TV', but there are times I am in the cabin alone, and needed sounds for company. I do like to have the TV on when I'm getting dressed in the morning, changing for dinner, and falling asleep. 

Since I was a little girl coming home from school to an empty house I have needed to have some 'noise' on when I am alone. Since HAL doesn't offer any decent radio stations anymore, the TV serves the purpose. 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I won't say I 'cruise to watch TV', but there are times I am in the cabin alone, and needed sounds for company. I do like to have the TV on when I'm getting dressed in the morning, changing for dinner, and falling asleep. 

Since I was a little girl coming home from school to an empty house I have needed to have some 'noise' on when I am alone. Since HAL doesn't offer any decent radio stations anymore, the TV serves the purpose. 

I agree with you.

Betsy

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, RuthC said:

Got it!  Thanks Ruth.  On those ships that have interactive TVs, the music channels fulfill that function when I want it.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 7:46 PM, roxybear135 said:

Those are the exact same channels I "got" while on Zuiderdam (in APRIL).

---matthew

On Eurodam last week none of the TV channels were working when we checked and the only one they got in the Neptune lounge was Fox. Not sure if this was the whole week or just an anomaly but we ended up being quite busy and only turned on the TV to check the map and the bow cam. 

17 hours ago, CruzR887 said:

Shipwalker, those MSNBC promos cover paid advertising. They do get old rather quickly.

OMG the first time I saw this I was so baffled by why they had so much advertising for their own programs. It does get very old very quickly. And I don't get why they do that because I think all the other news channels have regular commercials. It sure does make you aware of how much commercial time there actually is in a normal program. 

On 7/10/2022 at 4:59 PM, rkacruiser said:

Please explain to me why anyone cruises to watch TV?  I get enough of that at home!  

I know. I quit watching TV decades ago. I read and get my news from print sites and when I am home from my trucking job and in my car, NPR. I will probably do some reading when I am in my cruise. In modern times, I have my iPad to download my books. Keeps me from having to haul around a ton of books everywhere I go.

• Like 1