Covid Stats Cruising Now...

8 minutes ago, loving2cruise said:

What are the stats of people contracting Covid nowadays while on their cruise. 

I have heard of people testing positive AFTER getting off the ship. Has anyone here tested positive afterwards?

Thank you in advance

No one except the cruise lines and the CDC know.  As for testing positive, of course people here have.

1 hour ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I'm not ever sure they have the correct number as some are asymptomatic with no need to test. 

The crew is tested in accordance with CDC guidelines for their case counts. Raw counts show a small but steady number of positive cases (crew and passengers) each week. 

Just off Adventure (July 2-7).  We have a FB group of a little over 200. About a dozen people reported they or someone in their party tested positive after disembarkation. If you count those reporting multiple people in their groups (like my husband and i both tested positive, so if you count us as 2) it's more like 20 or 25. Lots of others reporting symptoms but negative tests, so who knows about them - I've had symptoms since thurs but just tested positive today (monday).  Small sample size, but that should give you an idea.

5 hours ago, karmacats said:

Just off Adventure (July 2-7).  We have a FB group of a little over 200. About a dozen people reported they or someone in their party tested positive after disembarkation. If you count those reporting multiple people in their groups (like my husband and i both tested positive, so if you count us as 2) it's more like 20 or 25. Lots of others reporting symptoms but negative tests, so who knows about them - I've had symptoms since thurs but just tested positive today (monday).  Small sample size, but that should give you an idea.

Lots of viruses cause symptoms like Covid.  Common Cold, for example.  People are catching other things besides Covid.  I had a sinus infection after my cruise.   There's been an uptick in a couple of viruses this spring/summer due to people being out and about.  Several upper respiratory viruses for example.  Not to mention allergies.  I have a runny most most days.  If I tested every time I had a runny nose or coughed, I'd be testing every other day.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BND said:

Lots of viruses cause symptoms like Covid.  Common Cold, for example.  People are catching other things besides Covid.  I had a sinus infection after my cruise.   There's been an uptick in a couple of viruses this spring/summer due to people being out and about.  Several upper respiratory viruses for example.  Not to mention allergies.  I have a runny most most days.  If I tested every time I had a runny nose or coughed, I'd be testing every other day.  

A.men

• Like 1

Yes, we had a group of us on Symphony of the Seas May 21st cruise and 5 out of 8 tested positive. The others got sick but just felt like a bad cold and they didn't test, so not sure.  But we all got sick somehow when we got back home.  

12 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

People are testing positive everywhere, not just cruise ships. The only effective way to avoid covid is to isolate yourself from a source. Good Luck.

Yes the 2 new Omicron variants are much more easily p[assed between people, regardless of vaccines, past COVID or masks.   The original COVID 19 had a RO value of 3.3 meaning 1 person could pass it to 3 others.  The Omicron 5 variant has an RO value of 18.6, similar to measles.  So 1 person can pass to 18-19 others.  Doesn't take long to get lots of infections. And current vaccines and boosters are not as effective versus Omicron plus previously infected COVIDs have had their "immunity reduced significantly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Yes the 2 new Omicron variants are much more easily p[assed between people, regardless of vaccines, past COVID or masks.   The original COVID 19 had a RO value of 3.3 meaning 1 person could pass it to 3 others.  The Omicron 5 variant has an RO value of 18.6, similar to measles.  So 1 person can pass to 18-19 others.  Doesn't take long to get lots of infections. And current vaccines and boosters are not as effective versus Omicron plus previously infected COVIDs have had their "immunity reduced significantly.

Just like every other virus that is around so you just need to be careful if you are immune compromised. The one person I know who has covid right now wears a mask all the time around people. 

12 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

If Royal or other agencies are testing sewage samples, they have a pretty accurate idea of case loads, reported or not. 

That is a very interesting way to think about it and they main way they are now tracking trends on land.  Now that you mention this, I’d be surprised if they weren’t doing it.  I have to imagine this is a relatively cheap way to track Covid levels on each ship.  If they ever want to change policies on testing or to let the workers ditch the masks, this is great data to have to justify it (ex if samples suggest low to no Covid on a ship).  

Cruise critic unfortunately is not a great place to ask this question (it should be)

Folks who have determined cruises as higher than normal risky place in terms of probability have stayed away and do not visit htis boards.

Those who are "its just a flu", "masks dont work", "life has to go on" mindset, dominates these boards and jump in with comments to validate their own reasoning. So you are unlikely to get fair unbiased comments/advise/datapoints here.

You are unlikely to get any real stats from anyone as it is not in interest of anyone remotely associated with cruising industry to put out stats.

The other social media (one we are not suppose  to mention here) attracts more comments than roll call groups here.  And invariably you see people reporting testing positive few days AFTER the cruise.

Nothing specific against cruising. It is just that probability of catching it is higher in any indoor area where people congregate in higher density.

For some people cruising is about watching ocean and visiting various ports.

For others it is about having good time with fine dinning, theater shoes, comedy shows, indoor dance/exercise classes, drinking in bars, congregating in hot baths.

Risk is of course higher for the latter group than the former.

Everyone is entitled to make their own risk/reward analysis.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, I think it's virtually impossible to get anywhere near an accurate accounting of Covid cases onboard. Too many folks are self-testing and then may (or may not) self-isolate. They won't report. Many not reporting their positive self-tests for fear of being forced into quarantine. (Not judging, just presenting probable facts.) Many getting sick, sticking on a mask (maybe), then strolling about as if nothing was different. Of course, they're not reporting either. And once home, if we succumb to the virus, very few are willing to be on a 3 hour hold with the cruise line to report said illness. Reading these Rolls, there are a significant number of returning cruisers becoming sick with Covid.

On my recent Equinox sailing, crew were told by the Captain to avoid Covid conversations with guests. Providing covid numbers or info could result in immediate dismissal! I will personally vouch for this statement.

Bottom line, it's out there, and most likely in far greater numbers than we know. For us, we'll maximize all recommended precautions. We'll weigh the pros and cons of what we do know. But we'll still keep sailing!

• Like 1

Around 10 days ago, there was an interesting NCL thread one evening.  Poster had received ship data from CDC by ship and day, for number of positive per ship test results - broken down by crew vs passengers.   Poster got info through Freedom of Info Act. 

it was interesting.   Other posters would ask about a ship and sail date, and OP would give the data for each day of that sailing.    OP welcomed questions on all cruise lines and ships.  I remember seeing questions and data on a few RCI and Princess ships.  It was so interesting to read. 

The next morning, “I couldn’t find the thread”.  

Edited by ocean sounds
Edit

38 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

Honestly, I think it's virtually impossible to get anywhere near an accurate accounting of Covid cases onboard. Too many folks are self-testing and then may (or may not) self-isolate. They won't report. Many not reporting their positive self-tests for fear of being forced into quarantine. (Not judging, just presenting probable facts.) Many getting sick, sticking on a mask (maybe), then strolling about as if nothing was different. Of course, they're not reporting either. And once home, if we succumb to the virus, very few are willing to be on a 3 hour hold with the cruise line to report said illness. Reading these Rolls, there are a significant number of returning cruisers becoming sick with Covid.

On my recent Equinox sailing, crew were told by the Captain to avoid Covid conversations with guests. Providing covid numbers or info could result in immediate dismissal! I will personally vouch for this statement.

Bottom line, it's out there, and most likely in far greater numbers than we know. For us, we'll maximize all recommended precautions. We'll weigh the pros and cons of what we do know. But we'll still keep sailing!

Yeah people aren't reporting, or as I mentioned in another thread, in cases like mine where we didn't test positive until the night we got home, we aren't in those numbers. So those two groups together could raise numbers a bit. So even if the cruise line was releasing their numbers, they wouldn't be accurate.