Not sure about Privee. Opinions?

Traveller94

Hi All, I’m going on my first Oceania cruise next month to celebrate my 50th birthday. We’re regular Princess and Celebrity cruisers, but I wanted something special for the occasion and my travel agent suggested Oceania. I was discussing what would be a good special dinner on my actual birth date with my travel agent and she thought I wouldn’t like the wine spectator dinners since I’m not much of a drinker and am a somewhat picky eater, so she suggested Privee. She said we could eat either eat alone or invite 6 people we met on the cruise. I went ahead and had her book it. Now I’m having some second thoughts.

Regularly we meet plenty of people on board or at the meet and mingle to invite. However, with social distancing and not much roll call activity, I’m not sure we’ll have anyone to invite by the 5th day. If we are eating alone, is it worth it? Would it be better to have the butler set up a table on the balcony? Will they even do that? (We have an extended balcony PH on deck 7 of Riviera.) When do you have to give a final number count to the restaurant? Is it even possible to cancel?

Anyway, I thought some of you experienced Oceania cruisers would have some suggestions for a great 50th birthday dinner. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Traveller94 said:

Hi All, I’m going on my first Oceania cruise next month to celebrate my 50th birthday. We’re regular Princess and Celebrity cruisers, but I wanted something special for the occasion and my travel agent suggested Oceania. I was discussing what would be a good special dinner on my actual birth date with my travel agent and she thought I wouldn’t like the wine spectator dinners since I’m not much of a drinker and am a somewhat picky eater, so she suggested Privee. She said we could eat either eat alone or invite 6 people we met on the cruise. I went ahead and had her book it. Now I’m having some second thoughts.

Regularly we meet plenty of people on board or at the meet and mingle to invite. However, with social distancing and not much roll call activity, I’m not sure we’ll have anyone to invite by the 5th day. If we are eating alone, is it worth it? Would it be better to have the butler set up a table on the balcony? Will they even do that? (We have an extended balcony PH on deck 7 of Riviera.) When do you have to give a final number count to the restaurant? Is it even possible to cancel?

Anyway, I thought some of you experienced Oceania cruisers would have some suggestions for a great 50th birthday dinner. Thanks!

Priveé is the same fee for 1 or 10 people. For just a couple, that’s quite expensive when all you get is the food from the adjacent specialty restaurants (that’s already included in your fare). 
Have your butler get you a corner table for two in whichever specialty restaurant interests you the most. 

With or without a birthday, I suggest that you broaden your horizons with one of the LaReserve dinners. You may find that you’re not as picky as you think and that there’s a wine or two that you’ll enjoy.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 4

Traveler94,

A celebratory 50th is a wonderful idea but Flatbush is right on because La Privee is a flat $300 for up to 10 guests.  It can be a wonderful evening with friends but it comes with a price. You can choose from some special menus or the entire menus from Polo or Toscana.  I would recommend for a first O cruise you save your money and pick one of the great Specialty restaurants and have your Butler set a special table up with the Maitre D for the two of you. 
As Flatbush said, La Reserve can be amazing and in full operation holds 24 guests but over the past year, it has operated at about 50-60% capacity. That fee is roughly $120 pp.

Since this is your first O cruise, go and enjoy the fabulous dining experiences because the four Specialty restaurants are AWESOME. Consider “Sharing” tables to meet more guests as you might really enjoy the regular Oceania family of travelers.

You must make sure to visit with the Oceania Club Ambassadors early on and book a future cruise or two or…. Then you go home and tell your friends about your AMAZING experience and get them to join you on your next Oceania cruise.  Then you can consider dining with your friends in your private dining room, La Privee, We do it every time we are sailing just to have that private dining experience with friends, 3 hours of fine dining, and time with the wonderful staff assigned to La Privee.  
And another little secret, when you are talking to the Club Ambassador and you have some friends who enjoy traveling with, you could use the Family and Friends discount available for On Board bookings and create your own future cruise group party and earn everyone hundreds of dollars in Discounts. Do not go home without taking advantage of the Oceania Future Cruise benefit 🤪💵🙏

Have a fantastic cruise next month.

Ciao, Mauibabes 

• Like 1

I would look at the La Reserve menus   then if you do not think you would enjoy  what is being served   it is not for you

We booked  one of the Specialties   & asked for  a table with a view   for our special occasion

Privee is very nice  space  but  nicer to share with friends

All comes down to Personal choice

Enjoy the cruise

• Like 1

Thanks to you all! It does sound like it’s really better for a group. I did see they menu includes cheese soufflé, which I love (although that changes if it’s goat cheese.) I didn’t see that on any of the specialty restaurant menus. Did I miss it or is this the only place to get a regular cheese soufflé?

I googled it, but I can’t find a cancellation deadline. Does anyone know? Thanks, again.

13 minutes ago, Traveller94 said:

Thanks to you all! It does sound like it’s really better for a group. I did see they menu includes cheese soufflé, which I love (although that changes if it’s goat cheese.) I didn’t see that on any of the specialty restaurant menus. Did I miss it or is this the only place to get a regular cheese soufflé?

I googled it, but I can’t find a cancellation deadline. Does anyone know? Thanks, again.

Jacques have cheese souffle   sadly  for you it is goat cheese ☹️

GDR will have it on the menu  some nights

The cancellation  dates  should be on your invoice  if not  then ask your tA to find out for you

16 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Jacques have cheese souffle   sadly  for you it is goat cheese ☹️

GDR will have it on the menu  some nights

The cancellation  dates  should be on your invoice  if not  then ask your tA to find out for you

I love the goat cheese souffle, you just have to get past the name. It's delicious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORV said:

I love the goat cheese souffle, you just have to get past the name. It's delicious.

Me too

They are supposed to have the Souffle of the day  in GDR  but dessert type ones

They all look yummy 🙂

Coco-Malibu Soufflé with Pineapple and Lime

Valrhona Guanaja Chocolate Soufflé Topped with Cacao Nibs

Green Apple Martini Soufflé

Pistachio Soufflé with a Cherry Ragout

Grand Marnier Soufflé

Passion Fruit Soufflé with a Mango Ragout

Lime and Limoncello Soufflé with a Berry Compote

Chestnut Soufflé with Pear Ragout

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/media/2021/OCEANIA+CRUISES+REVEALS+NEXT+PHASE+OF+OCEANIANEXT+ENHANCEMENTS+Culinary+Expansions+Include+New+In+Room+Dining+Menus+Wine+Tasting+Programs+and+More/

Wow! Those soufflés sound awesome. If you ate at a specialty restaurant can you go to the main dining room for soufflé dessert?😁

Thanks for the tip about the goat cheese soufflé. I may have to try it. I do have an intolerance to goat cheese, so it would be living on the edge, but maybe worth it. 

I was able to find the cancellation policy on my main invoice. Strangely, I didn’t even think to look there. It says 36 hours or less is a 100% cancellation fee. I’m assuming that means any time before 36 hours is no fee.

Thank you all for the help!

• Like 1

Glad you found that info.  I would agree with others, Privee would be a better experience with other friends.  So many other dining options.  I agree with others who have suggested the La Reserve Dinners.  We loved the one we did!

I love Privee. I know you’re not much into wines, but I typically do byob wine dinners there and they are well attended.

As a Newbie, here’s a fact. Lots of people lurk on this Forum and the Roll Calls. To “ Lurk” means they read the various posts but never post themselves. Therefore, never try correlate readers to posters. I always leave my email address when setting up private tours and have multiple participants contact me direct that won’t post or respond to anything online. Privee has worked the same way. 

Your options are many.

JMO  on La Reserve

I know many people rave about  it BUT

We are not into  fancy rich food   & 1 glass of wine for me  is plenty  more  & I may not make  it to dessert

Looking at the menus   I would  see maybe one or 2 dishes that I would eat   so for us it is not worth the expense

Everyone  has their likes & dislikes 

I dislike when others say "Oh you will love xxx"   well  maybe they would but maybe they will not

Let people make their own choice

YMMV

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Traveller94 said:

Wow! Those soufflés sound awesome. If you ate at a specialty restaurant can you go to the main dining room for soufflé dessert?😁

Thanks for the tip about the goat cheese soufflé. I may have to try it. I do have an intolerance to goat cheese, so it would be living on the edge, but maybe worth it. 

They will have other souffles  not with Goat cheese

Be sure to let them know that you have a problem with  any foods  in advance

Your TA can put a note on your file  & follow up with the Maitre'd  onboard

They will work with you

JMO

Lyn

Thank you all so much for your advice. I’m excited about all the great sounding options. It looks like I have until the 3rd night of the cruise to cancel Privee, so if I end up with some wonderful people to share a meal with by then I’ll keep the reservation, and if I don’t I’ll cancel and see if our butler can get us in to one of the specialty restaurants. Or, I don’t think anyone said, but is it possible to have room service on the balcony? We could do a speciality restaurant room service meal on the balcony is that’s allowed.

17 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

For just a couple, that’s quite expensive when all you get is the food from the adjacent specialty restaurants

Things have changed in Privee and I believe you are no longer limited to the menus from Polo and Toscana.

https://www.theluxurycruisereview.com/oceanias-new-privee-private-dining-menus/

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Traveller94 said:

. Or, I don’t think anyone said, but is it possible to have room service on the balcony? We could do a speciality restaurant room service meal on the balcony is that’s allowed.

Yes if you are in a PH +

To provide a different viewpoint on Privee, we spent a delightful evening with 8 strangers on our first cruise. We answered a post in our rollcall and the ten of us joined together for one of the most memorable  meals of our lives. The beautiful room and table are designed to allow quiet conversation among all the ten guests. We all shared the price.

I would not  give up on Privee too quickly. A post in your rollcall might be fun and result in some new friends. It did for us.

• Like 3

DH and I and brother and sister-in-law did Privee on the Baltic cruise on our anniversary a few years ago.  I used our shipboard credit to book it and I enjoyed even though it would be even more fun with a group.  We took our bottles of champagne (both concierge that cruise and fun though champagne was nothing special) and enjoyed the dinner though it was just food from the 2 specialties.  The head server remembered us for the rest of the cruise and gave us very good service in the MDR a few times.  I loved it and would do it again even at $50 more.  But a butler served dinner for 2 sounds good too.  On our fall cruise we will be celebrating our 50th anniversary and are doing a La Reserve menu with the in-laws again.  All your choices are good-celebrate more than one night with different choices.

I am also checking out souffles on this cruise-all sound good!

Thank you all so much for your advice. I’m excited about all the great sounding options. It looks like I have until the 3rd night of the cruise to cancel Privee, so if I end up with some wonderful people to share a meal with by then I’ll keep the reservation, and if I don’t I’ll cancel and see if our butler can get us in to one of the specialty restaurants. Or, I don’t think anyone said, but is it possible to have room service on the balcony? We could do a speciality restaurant room service meal on the balcony is that’s allowed.

As Lynn said, yeas, if you're in a PH or higher category.  Arrange with the butler for course by course service.

Or, I don’t think anyone said, but is it possible to have room service on the balcony? We could do a speciality restaurant room service meal on the balcony is that’s allowed.

There is a caveat to this though. If you are in nice weather, not rough seas, possibly still in port with a nice view then this might be nice. Chilly weather, rough seas, looking at an industrial port full of containers, all pretty much a buzz kill. It's also a little tight out there, unless of course you are in a Vista or Owner's Suite. Or one of those large balconied PHs on 7 aft. 

If I want to enjoy eating outside(fancy folk would say Al Fresco) then I prefer the Terrace Cafe. Only downside there is you don't have the specialty menu. And it's not private. 

We are in one of the larger balcony PH rooms on deck 7, so I think we will try eating out there one night, but it’s a good point that we should see how the weather is before picking the night. From all the great feedback, it seems like we can’t go wrong whichever way we decide to go, so we might just play it by ear.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Traveller94 said:

We are in one of the larger balcony PH rooms on deck 7, so I think we will try eating out there one night, but it’s a good point that we should see how the weather is before picking the night. From all the great feedback, it seems like we can’t go wrong whichever way we decide to go, so we might just play it by ear.

you can always eat indoors

have the table set up so you can see the view of the ocean if possible

On 7/17/2022 at 10:30 PM, Traveller94 said:

You can ask in advance about having a special souffle (or something else) for a special celebratory dinner.

We did that for a major birthday for DH.  Well, I did it.  It was a surprise for him. 🙂

I had made the request in advance, and then I quietly double checked with our Butler to see if it was arranged, and I also found a chance to stop by Jacques on my own to speak with the Maitre d' about it.

Worst that could happen is that they say they are sorry, but they can't arrange <whatever>, and then you are just back where you would have been if you hadn't asked.

We *love* dining in our suite, either because we have trouble getting yet another Specialty reservation or if we are just exhausted after a busy day.

But we made the "special dinner" reservation at Jacques.  (Our other favorites are Polo and that sea bass at Red Ginger.  Yum!)

But our real treat is waking up to the smell of bacon and the aroma of coffee, and perhaps some gentle clinking of the china.  (We always tell our Butler to knock and then enter; if we don't want that, we'll bolt the door.)  Sometimes we are already awake, sometimes not.  They are always very professional and courteous, and take their cues from us.  If we greet them or start talking, so do they.  If we are still quiet or groggy, they'll just disappear again and we'll see them later.

Ah... we cannot wait to get back to Oceania! 🙂 

Enjoy your trip!

GC

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

You can ask in advance about having a special souffle (or something else) for a special celebratory dinner.

We did that for a major birthday for DH.  Well, I did it.  It was a surprise for him. 🙂

I had made the request in advance, and then I quietly double checked with our Butler to see if it was arranged, and I also found a chance to stop by Jacques on my own to speak with the Maitre d' about it

It’s great to know I may be able to request a special item. I see multiple soufflés in my future!

LHT28, Great point about moving the table in front of the window. Good to know it fits there.

I’m so glad I asked this question. I feel like I have gotten so many great tips I wouldn’t have known otherwise. With a three year gap between cruises and a brand new line, I have the excitement of a first time cruiser!😁 

• Like 1

What great tips for you. 
As you have 3 days onboard before free cancellation, this will give you time to assess which ‘tip’ is best for you. We found our La Reserve meal fantastic food and drink wise, but at end of long table with a couple next to us who weren’t our cup of tea, it spoilt the evening somewhat. 
La Privee  was a great evening for us. But we ‘met’ 8 other couples who were on the roll call and shared the cost. 
Oceania is our favourite cruise company and we are never disappointed. 
Good luck and happy 50th birthday.