CDC ends all restrictions as of July 18th (TODAY!!)

16 hours ago, BND said:

Most people feel that the vaccine requirement will be the very last thing to go.

I hope it is.  Remember, the cruiselines probably have a goal of 1) having healthy passengers who do not go to the hospital during or after cruising 2) staying out of headlines in the terms of Covid news.  Requiring vaccination is a big part of achieving this. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, aubreyc1988 said:

2) staying out of headlines in the terms of Covid news.

And this is huge. The Cruise industry has always had a PR issue when it comes to any spread of disease, especially now. Cruise lines want to portray safety and trust to earn that $$ from their passengers and potential passengers, any covid headlines puts that in jeopardy.

I'll add 3) (from the other thread), cruise lines need healthy staff to continue sailing. If that means that passengers coming onboard need vaccines, so be it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Yes we lost a lot of people to covid. Did many if not most have underlying conditions? I am sure. I waited all winter for the horrible death that was going to come to me because I was unvaccinated. 

So people will still go on cruises sick and get sick as well as the same on land. We need to go back to normal and just be more cautious when you are sick and try and avoid others as much as you can.

your experience as an unvaccinated person isn't inclusive of everyone who is unvaccinated.  And to be honest, your flippant attitude about how you are unvaccinated and didn't get the horrible death is especially  disrespectful to those who died unvaccinated because they were unfortunate enough to catch covid before the vaccine was available, not to mention disrespectful to the unvaccinated and vaccinated people who have died from covid after the vaccine was available. 

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 11

18 minutes ago, exm said:

That link has April 2021 data in it. That was the Delta strain: can't compare that with the Omicron variants.

You're conveniently moving the goalposts. The data cited is straight from the source.

• Haha 1

I'm a Canadian who just returned from a 9 day cruise on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas on Saturday. My spouse and I are double vaccinated with 2 boosters. We had a negative PCR test upon embarkation. On the day following the cruise, we discovered we had an unwelcome souvenir from our trip. We both woke up ill and using a home covid test found we both had covid. After dodging the bullet for 28 months and taking a chance on a twice delayed cruise booking, we got nailed by the virus

5 minutes ago, Elismoots said:

I'm a Canadian who just returned from a 9 day cruise on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas on Saturday. My spouse and I are double vaccinated with 2 boosters. We had a negative PCR test upon embarkation. On the day following the cruise, we discovered we had an unwelcome souvenir from our trip. We both woke up ill and using a home covid test found we both had covid. After dodging the bullet for 28 months and taking a chance on a twice delayed cruise booking, we got nailed by the virus

Hope you feel better quickly. 

• Like 5

Just now, sandebeach said:

Hope you feel better quickly. 

Thanks. Still feeling like crap today but improving. As a senior that has had heart surgery I was concerned but I'm  blessed that it was a "mild" case.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, notscb said:

"Back to normal" wasn't good, do you not remember? Pre-Covid life didn't allow for people to be sick or stay home when sick without the consequence of loss (financial, social, vocational).

We need to be better about preventing what we can, otherwise this weird value of American individualism is going to be the downfall of what we have left of a society.

I agree with that part as now you can get paid for 5 days if you have covid. Maybe some other illnesses should allow that too without you having to take your own days. That way more people wouldn't feel like they need to be out when they are sick and then get others sick also.

33 minutes ago, exm said:

That link has April 2021 data in it. That was the Delta strain: can't compare that with the Omicron variants.

When I click on that link, it shows data from April 04, 2021-May 28, 2022 (at the top of the first big chart).  Are we looking at the same data?

4 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

I agree with that part as now you can get paid for 5 days if you have covid. Maybe some other illnesses should allow that too without you having to take your own days. That way more people wouldn't feel like they need to be out when they are sick and then get others sick also.

Not helping the matter is that many companies (pre-COVID) have eliminated "sick" days and have just lumped that time into PTO.  It's not surprising that when it's your own time you're using, people are no longer "sick".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Elismoots said:

Most likely because your immune system was low from doing things out of your normal routine. This is nothing unusual why people get sick.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Not helping the matter is that many companies (pre-COVID) have eliminated "sick" days and have just lumped that time into PTO.  It's not surprising that when it's your own time you're using, people are no longer "sick".

Agreed

38 minutes ago, notscb said:

You're conveniently moving the goalposts. The data cited is straight from the source.

I am? You (and the CDC) are. The Delta data is irrelevant for Omicron. It's a totally different situation.

• Like 2

Our cruise is August 12th and I am now very anxious about what will happen. I hope they keep both the vaccine and pre-cruise testing requirements as it is a sense of security. At least if I catch it on board, I know everyone was as careful as possible.

It's mind-blowing to me how many selfish people there are on here who say will get on a cruise with Covid just because they don't want to miss out on a vacation they have been planning for months. If I test positive, I will do everything I can to prevent spreading it to others. Just crazy others aren't willing to do the same.

Edited by jerseygirl629
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, Elismoots said:

My husband's worst nightmare...We too have been Covid free for just as long if not longer and have a cruise coming up soon...He is nervous about it and I, wellll let's just say realllllly want to go but have SLIGHT reservations about it and that we too will bring home a souvenir😏

Feel better soon!!!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Most likely because your immune system was low from doing things out of your normal routine. This is nothing unusual why people get sick.

My husband was very sick with Covid in Aug '21 on a US River cruise....and I did not get it. Fast forward to May '22 and I get Covid on a TA cruise. Thankfully my case was very mild while his wasn't. If Covid wants to find you, it will.