Husband is worried about quarantine

zitsky

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

This is a fair point of course. But I received similar advice that, for healthy individuals, there is very little incremental benefit with the second booster as opposed to having just one boost. As always, consult with your own doctor on this.

Exactly...same exact advice from our concierge doctor.

He's not crazy if you're doing a long cruise full of bored people eager to chat and at a higher overall age group--Panama Canal, Hawaii, or an Alaska land/sea package. If you're going 7 nights, then just be extra careful until the last couple of days on the cruise, which is what I did and ended up getting covid, probably in a completely filled production show where I got there a half-hour early to get a good seat. It was on day 5 of 7, I tested negative on day 7, and didn't develop symptoms until 2 days after the cruise. The difficult part is to get a lot of cruisers to be smart and avoid others inside, so no sitting at group tables, no playing 'where are you folks from?', no taking bus transfers or excursions, dining and seeing shows at off-peak times, avoiding inside bars and small venues, and staying out of shops on ship and shore. That's what I usually do and have gone Covid-free for 7 cruises since last September, until I got cocky and let my guard down. It's much more challenging to stay safe as lines go up to high occupancy, but it requires awareness and sacrifice and smarts--the people trying not to breath in an elevator aren't at high risk of covid, but the people gabbing for 2 hours in a crowded restaurant are.  Is trivia or a lame magician/singer worth quarantine? 

On 7/24/2022 at 6:24 PM, canderson said:

Being vaccinated doesn't prevent you from testing positive.

It surely doesn't!  While both are vaccinated and double boosted, my best friend and her husband both tested positive.  Went on the Paxlovid antibiotic and tested negative a few days later.  A few days after that, my friend tested positive AGAIN and this time she had a terrible time.  They have been very careful, yet still got Covid.

4 hours ago, rj59 said:

He's not crazy if you're doing a long cruise full of bored people eager to chat and at a higher overall age group--Panama Canal, Hawaii, or an Alaska land/sea package. If you're going 7 nights, then just be extra careful until the last couple of days on the cruise, which is what I did and ended up getting covid, probably in a completely filled production show where I got there a half-hour early to get a good seat. It was on day 5 of 7, I tested negative on day 7, and didn't develop symptoms until 2 days after the cruise. The difficult part is to get a lot of cruisers to be smart and avoid others inside, so no sitting at group tables, no playing 'where are you folks from?', no taking bus transfers or excursions, dining and seeing shows at off-peak times, avoiding inside bars and small venues, and staying out of shops on ship and shore. That's what I usually do and have gone Covid-free for 7 cruises since last September, until I got cocky and let my guard down. It's much more challenging to stay safe as lines go up to high occupancy, but it requires awareness and sacrifice and smarts--the people trying not to breath in an elevator aren't at high risk of covid, but the people gabbing for 2 hours in a crowded restaurant are.  Is trivia or a lame magician/singer worth quarantine? 

And with this latest variant causing symptoms in as few as 2 days you might have picked it up on the trip home. No way to know for sure.  

5 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Exactly...same exact advice from our concierge doctor.

And yet the medical experts on the news in the Chicago area recommend not to wait.  I guess if I was confident in my own doctor I would follow their advice,  yet at the same time it means ignoring the advice of very respected,  highly ranked medical experts.  The bottom line is that no one knows for sure

19 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

And yet the medical experts on the news in the Chicago area recommend not to wait.  I guess if I was confident in my own doctor I would follow their advice,  yet at the same time it means ignoring the advice of very respected,  highly ranked medical experts.  The bottom line is that no one knows for sure

We are affiliated with the Mayo Clinic where I live. Trust your Dr. because only they know about you and your health and risks.. I think most of us here understand this.

My Dr. said to wait until Fall. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

We are affiliated with the Mayo Clinic where I live. Trust your Dr. because only they know about you and your health and risks.. I think most of us here understand this.

It looks like the “new” boosters may be rolled out in September and the Biden administration says Moderna and Pfizer will be ready to go, if so, some very potentially positive news.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

We are MDVIP and it is affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic in terms of blood-marker tests for yearly testing. Our b2b/TA is in October, so my DH and  I are planning on September for the new boosters.  Yes, if you do not believe what your own physician says, find one that you do believe.  Mine sends updates to us once a month.  I trust him with my life, but also do my part with being very health' conscious too, not to mention doing the research to stay informed, so I can ask pertinent questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Sounds like you're insinuating I don't understand this. I certainly do. My point is we get mixed messages.  And while our own doctors know our health history,  etc., and may be extremely capable in their own right, they are not necessarily experts in the field of viruses which the doctors I am referencing are.  

On 7/25/2022 at 1:44 PM, Gia2cats said:

In our case, your thoughts on this are correct. My husband tested positive post land tour in Alaska one month after his second Pfizer booster. I then tested positive on July 23 and I had the second Moderna booster on June 27. Neither of us are very sick, no fever, aches. Just typical summer cold symptoms for a few days. Maybe the boosters helped us from becoming very Ill but it was enough to cancel the cruise. A year ago we were told that the vaccines would prevent COVID. I was sicker after the 2nd, 3rd and 4th boosters with a fever of 101.

I will not be getting any booster

35 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Sounds like you're insinuating I don't understand this. I certainly do. My point is we get mixed messages.  And while our own doctors know our health history,  etc., and may be extremely capable in their own right, they are not necessarily experts in the field of viruses which the doctors I am referencing are.  

Wrong. This was just common sense and you were not a target. Take a chill pill and hope you get an appt. with your TV doctors. Most of us are not as fortunate as you are and we depend on our local physicians.

Edited by TrulyBlonde
typo
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

You will when cruise lines require it. 

You might want to read the current info about vaccines and boosters efficacy. Doubt cruise lines will require boosters. 

I saw this topic and  - being a quarantine "survivor" on the Edge  - start reading it, thinking maybe I can add some insights from our personal experience.  

Too many posts, so I jumped to the last page and discovered that this has developed into pro and con vaccine and booster discussion.

Everybody to his own, but just  let me say first that we have been vaccinated and boostered twice. And  if (when) a new (and updated!) booster will be offered, we'll happy do it again, as our last one was  in the beginning of January 2022, so its effectiveness has diminished a lot until July. Still we believe that our immune system has profited nicely from our vaccines (we are over 75) , as we  experienced VERY mild symptoms. Actually I am sure that - had we not been tested (as a routine, because we were staying on a b2b cruise in Rome) - neither we - nor anyone else would have found that we are "positive". We even insisted on a second test just to be sure it wasn't a mistake. 

Anyway.. we stayed in isolation - in the "red zone" on deck 6. Actually it wasn't so bad at all, but of course it wasn't the cruise we've planned. 😀 

Now waiting for our refund from Celebrity..

• Like 1

Honestly even the best doctors with expert opinions need to wait for the new boosters to come out and review the data and understand the guidelines before offering us directions.  My current doctor (who I trust very much) told me this recently.  It made me trust him even more.  

• Like 1

Well, we have had 2 US Presidents survive this virus. Different forms of the virus. 1st Pres had no vaccine available, was overweight, over 70, and was very ill.  Great medical care probably saved him. 2nd Pres just had the new form of virus BA5, 4 vaccines, great medical care,  close to 80, and his only health issue is a stutter ;-).

We really need to trust our physicians and do our best to stay healthy. I am going to assume most here on these boards do just that  

Cheers to health and healthy cruising!

8 hours ago, CU64 said:

You might want to read the current info about vaccines and boosters efficacy. Doubt cruise lines will require boosters. 

But if they did you would take it or would you refuse to cruise?

In UK boosters currently being rolled out for over 75's.

New booster programme will start in October for all over 60's. This will include over 75's who have already had their first boosters making 4 jabs in total.

36 minutes ago, the penguins said:

But if they did you would take it or would you refuse to cruise?

In UK boosters currently being rolled out for over 75's.

New booster programme will start in October for all over 60's. This will include over 75's who have already had their first boosters making 4 jabs in total.

In the US all over 60 can have the boosters, I've got both.  I read that once the new booster is approved and ready to rollout, they plan to do an advertising blitz to encourage people to get the new shot.  I plan to get it, but in the US we are at approx 67+% fully vaccinated (and the number has not chnaged in almost 2 years) and les than that with the booster.  IMO anyone who has wanted the first two and now the two boosters, has gotten them already.  No amount of advertising is going to get anyone else to rush out and get the new shot.  Those that want them, have received and will do so again in the fall, but IMO the $$$ spend to over advertise could be put to much better use.  Of course, advert to let folks know they are now available, lord knows the news will be all over it, but just no need to go overboard on it.

Edited by LGW59

I may be similar to the OP's Husband and am seriously considering canceling my Nov cruise. I would typically look to upgrade from my S-1 to a CS or RS but really think it could be a potential waste of money. 

We have remained Covid free (smart or lucky, not sure) and being cooped up who knows where on a ship would be a nightmare.

Also, our President just tested positive again and he had been taking the Paxlovid treatment. You think you are free from the virus and then "wham" it never really went away. Who is really going to trust any of this stuff anymore? 

Decisions, Decisions. 😞

• Like 2

Here is something that came to mind, what if one comes down with flu like symptoms, is tested but is negative for Covid. So maybe he caught a seasonal flu bug, would that person also be quarantined? So maybe they don't quarantine him, isn't he a serious threat also to his fellow passengers as people die from seasonal flu bugs?  Along the same lines, if you don't quarantine for the seasonal flu why quarantine for Covid?

Edited by MISTER 67