****CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #3 -‐- JULY 21, 2022***

Host Carolyn

I purchased 3 slots (at one time) for covid testing with Onpoint for our August cruise.
I have confirmation and everything.
I have a patient portal area through HealthTrack RX link.
I filled it out for myself. Got a wierd code at the end, which I am guessing signifies I am who I am.
Do I need to fill it out for the other 2 who will be testing with me?
Might seem like a ridiculous question, and I am guessing that yes, I will have to.
But this whole thing is incredibly confusing to me - maybe I am really overthinking things.
Thanks, in advance.

-----------------------
edited to add : I just registered everyone. We all got different confirmation numbers, so I'm guessing I did it right. 

Edited by Ihearttravel11
more info

8 minutes ago, tdunlap said:

I do not see where carnival has posted that you do NOT need to be tested before boarding the ship 

You are correct. That information is NOT on their website, because as of now, you STILL ARE REQUIRED to be tested before you board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We (2 of us) just did this. Yes you have to complete the patient information for each person. The Onboard rep asked us for these 2 separate confirmation numbers in our Zoom call. 

Process was easy - we used the free tests from the US government. Call was on time. Received pdfs of negative results within 20 minutes.

• Like 3

I'm sure this has been asked before, but we need an answer ASAP so I can't go dig in the files.

Friends of ours are sailing with us next week and don't have a booster shot. 

They want to go get it tomorrow so they can test 3 days before the cruise.

Is there a specific cut off for the booster (like the 14 days max for the 2 first shots)?

Will the booster make them test positive??

31 minutes ago, Riemercruisin said:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but we need an answer ASAP so I can't go dig in the files.

Friends of ours are sailing with us next week and don't have a booster shot. 

They want to go get it tomorrow so they can test 3 days before the cruise.

Is there a specific cut off for the booster (like the 14 days max for the 2 first shots)?

Will the booster make them test positive??

The Booster will not make them test positive. I think I read today on the Carnival web site on Health Protocols that it has to be at least 14 day before you cruise.  It is definitely on the Carnival web site.

Probably a dumb question, but I am triple checking this.

My dad is 69 years old.  Cruise is July30.  Wanting to know if he can take the test 3 days before instead of 2 days before.

For him to be up to date on his vaccine with Pfizer since over 50, he has to have 2 shots, +booster1, +booster2 4 Months AFTER booster1.

But if he got his booster1 shot in May 2022, then he is still considered up to date only having 1 booster shot (4 months after booster1 would be in Sept) correct? 

so since he is unable to get his 2nd booster, he is currently up to date and can then take the test 3 days before?

He took awhile to get his first booster shot despite having his first 2 shots early last year.  

Also, lastly, the VeriFly app seems to say we can test even 4 days before the cruise (July 26 at 5pm), but guessing I should ignore that and stick to 3 days (July 27) ?

7 hours ago, RiceAndKimchi said:

Probably a dumb question, but I am triple checking this.

My dad is 69 years old.  Cruise is July30.  Wanting to know if he can take the test 3 days before instead of 2 days before.

For him to be up to date on his vaccine with Pfizer since over 50, he has to have 2 shots, +booster1, +booster2 4 Months AFTER booster1.

But if he got his booster1 shot in May 2022, then he is still considered up to date only having 1 booster shot (4 months after booster1 would be in Sept) correct? 

There's no mention of a 2nd booster to be up to date anywhere on Carnival's website. For now, only 1 booster.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, letsgo39 said:

The Booster will not make them test positive. I think I read today on the Carnival web site on Health Protocols that it has to be at least 14 day before you cruise.  It is definitely on the Carnival web site.

Could you please direct the OP to this passage on the website?

4 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

Could you please direct the OP to this passage on the website?

Guests must present an original vaccination record issued by the country's health authority (i.e., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card). A digital COVID-19 Certificate (QR code), a record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider (original digital email), and a personal electronic health record or government Immunization Information System record is also acceptable. Copies or photos are not accepted.

• The name and birth date on the vaccination record must match the guest's travel documents.
  • The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date (not including embarkation day). Vaccine type, dates administered, and lot numbers must be clearly visible. When required, booster dose must also be reflected on vaccination records.

There's no mention of a 2nd booster to be up to date anywhere on Carnival's website. For now, only 1 booster.

Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the sailing day (not counting embarkation day) and have proof of vaccination.

Additionally, the CDC has strongly recommended that individuals obtain a COVID-19 booster vaccination, when eligible. Should the CDC definition of fully vaccinated evolve to require the booster shot, our policy will adapt accordingly. Consequently, we also strongly encourage all guests who are eligible to get their booster vaccine. Boosters may be required for specific voyages based on duration or destination requirements.

The following voyages require fully vaccinated guests, ages 12 and older, who are more than 6 months past the last dose of their initial vaccine series to be boosted in order to sail:

• Carnival Pride® and Carnival Celebration Europe – All 2022 departures
  • Carnival Splendor® 23-day Carnival Journey (Transpacific) – September 6, 2022

11 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Guests must present an original vaccination record issued by the country's health authority (i.e., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card). A digital COVID-19 Certificate (QR code), a record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider (original digital email), and a personal electronic health record or government Immunization Information System record is also acceptable. Copies or photos are not accepted.

• The name and birth date on the vaccination record must match the guest's travel documents.
  • The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date (not including embarkation day). Vaccine type, dates administered, and lot numbers must be clearly visible. When required, booster dose must also be reflected on vaccination records.

This still didn't answer the question whether the booster needs to be minimal 14 days prior to the cruise nor a mention of a 2nd booster.

1 hour ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

This still didn't answer the question whether the booster needs to be minimal 14 days prior to the cruise nor a mention of a 2nd booster.

Good  Lord. Read. It is in the last paragraph posted by Bafinegan 3 posts up from here. YES  must be at least 14 days. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

Cruisesfun65 Here AGAIN!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, letsgo39 said:

Cruisesfun65 Here AGAIN!

Nope. This is what is written:

The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date (not including embarkation day).

This is about the required doses, NOT the booster. For Caribbean cruises boosters are NOT required.

So there is no mention of the booster specifically being required within 14 days of sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, odiesam said:

We (2 of us) just did this. Yes you have to complete the patient information for each person. The Onboard rep asked us for these 2 separate confirmation numbers in our Zoom call. 

Process was easy - we used the free tests from the US government. Call was on time. Received pdfs of negative results within 20 minutes.

Excellent! Thank you so much for your response!

Nope. This is what is written:

The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date (not including embarkation day).

This is about the required doses, NOT the booster. For Caribbean cruises boosters are NOT required.

So there is no mention of the booster specifically being required within 14 days of sailing.

And it states the booster is not required because the CDC does not state fully vaccinated requires a booster.  Up-to-date includes a booster.  The only time frame stated is 14 days.  I guess if you want more definitive answers than what is on the Carnival website-you could CALL YOURSELF rather than argue with people trying to help you.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, letsgo39 said:

So what did it say about precruise testing?

From the CDC at Cruise Ship Travel During COVID-19 | CDC :

Pre-embarkation Testing

• If your cruise line does not have a testing requirement, get tested for current infection with a viral test (no more than 3 days) before boarding a cruise ship, regardless of your vaccination status. Get your test results before you board your cruise.
    • If you recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, testing is not generally recommended unless you have symptoms. People can continue to test positive for up to 90 days after diagnosis and not be infectious to others. Check with your cruise line regarding their specific policies, including if you need to provide a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare provider documenting that you recovered from COVID-19.
  • If you or your travel companions have COVID-19 symptoms or test positive at embarkation, the cruise ship may deny you from boarding. If you are allowed to board, you may be required to isolate or quarantine, depending on your symptoms and test results.

I saw that. I only did a quick read, but I thought the fact they were  giving people advice about what to do if their cruise line does not have a testing requirement was telling. It would seem to indicate that they contemplate cruise lines dropping the testing within the new guidelines. Interesting to see what the Big Three make of this. 

I also found it interesting that they defined  fully up-to-date as requiring all shots and booster that you were eligible for.   This is a slight change from the prior wording and would seem to indicate that if you could have had both boosters but chose only one you might not be up to date. Not sure what the up to date requirement might apply to if a cruise line does away with Testing, but I thought it was interesting, nevertheless.

I am not going to go back and read the guidance in depth because the only real interpretation that matters is what cruise lines decide it means and how they develop protocols within that guidance. I would think that would happen pretty quickly this coming week.

Richard