Skagway AK Landslide possibility causes itinerary "adjustments"...

D. B.

7 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I am a little confused by the last bit of information for the Discovery Princess --- the statement mentions the August 11th sail date for the Discovery, our sail date is August 14th on the Discovery.  Something seems off.

I’m sure they have something wrong in their press release or the website got it wrong when they printed it. Most things that are published have something incorrect if you know the actual details. Hopefully they will update anything that is incorrect.

Edited by JT1962
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I’m sure they have something wrong in their press release or the website got it wrong when they printed it. Most things that are published have something incorrect if you know the actual details.

Just looked at our itinerary and nothing has changed ---- yet.  Guess I will see what tomorrow brings.

13 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Just looked at our itinerary and nothing has changed ---- yet.  Guess I will see what tomorrow brings.

Their wording is confusing. It is the Aug 11 stop in Skagway for the Aug 7 cruise that was moved to Sitka, not the Aug 11 “sailing”. Aug 14 cruise still has Skagway on the itinerary. 

You will be dock at the Aft Berth of the Railroad Dock and tender to the small boat harbor dock. Allow extra time for getting from the ship to shore if you have any private excursions booked. 

https://www.skagway.org/sites/default/files/fileattachments/skagway_visitor_department/page/33137/aug_5_2022_update_skagway_cruise_ship_schedule.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0RmSq_aZ3PfkfX1eeTVKjoz3dsMeZx6auBicjL6vxKu6JqQ8ahHv-K3QQ

Edited by JT1962
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I am a little confused by the last bit of information for the Discovery Princess --- the statement mentions the August 11th sail date for the Discovery, our sail date is August 14th on the Discovery.  Something seems off.

I'm thinking that by sail date they meant the date that the ships mentioned would be making a port stop in Skagway.  Pretty sloppy of them but that interpretation makes sense.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I'm thinking that by sail date they meant the date that the ships mentioned would be making a port stop in Skagway.  Pretty sloppy of them but that interpretation makes sense.

JT1962 above just provided clarification -- and you have seconded it.  I thought that the article might be talking about "stops" but I wasn't sure --- so much information flying around that my head is spinning at the moment.  I am presently trying to monitor two cruises:  The Discovery and Quantum.  August 14th and August 22nd can't come fast enough --- I need the cruises to relax from all the changes happening.😀

2 minutes ago, D. B. said:

Italy52  You are right. The Cruise will be less confusing then the planning? I Hope.

Now if PCL will show us Shore Excursions for our New stops................

Shore excursions, hope you get some clarification.  Our Princess port changes were revised so not sure what we will do as we can not get into the listings.  As for our Royal Caribbean port changes, that is a real mess.  Lucky for us we have been to Alaska before so we can make do some how.  Alaska is our "happy place" so we are not going to let a few changes ruin our trips. 

The notice did not even mention the Grand September 14th sailing. Ugh! It is also still saying "Currently not available" on the Princess website.

Edited by nini
Spelling

12 hours ago, nini said:

The notice did not even mention the Grand September 14th sailing. Ugh! It is also still saying "Currently not available" on the Princess website.

It didn't mention it because there are only two ships in port when you are scheduled to be in Skagway and you will dock at the Ore dock, more convenient to town.  The article only mentioned the ships that would be diverted from Skagway.

18 minutes ago, sailaway5 said:

Is the White Pass Railroad still able to run??  Some of the smaller ships are still able to dock.

We have been to Skagway a couple times and loved the train ride.   So sad this landslide has hurt this town.  

Yes it’s running.  

I see now on PCL's site my Aug. 30th. (Royal) stop at Skagway has been replaced by Haines but so far no PCL excursions listed for Haines.

As for the White Pass & Yukon RR trips. I was on one last June (2022)  and at That Time it Stopped Before crossing the Canadian Border because the Canuks insisted on checking Everyone's Passports and that made the delay to long so they no longer go past the Canadian Border.

Still a great Ride. Check out the store in town with the WP&Y history and souvenirs.

16 minutes ago, D. B. said:

I see now on PCL's site my Aug. 30th. (Royal) stop at Skagway has been replaced by Haines but so far no PCL excursions listed for Haines.

As for the White Pass & Yukon RR trips. I was on one last June (2022)  and at That Time it Stopped Before crossing the Canadian Border because the Canuks insisted on checking Everyone's Passports and that made the delay to long so they no longer go past the Canadian Border.

Still a great Ride. Check out the store in town with the WP&Y history and souvenirs.

Any time we cross a countries boundaries we have had our passports inspected. On a train from Seattle to Vancouver years ago we had to show the to both US and Canadian officials 

54 minutes ago, D. B. said:

In years past the WP&Y passengers did not have to show a passport.

When I went on the train, we had to hold up our passports up as a Canadian immigration officer passed by.  He saw my Canadian passport and said “welcome home”.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 12:42 PM, ImperialLady said:

where did you go? Thanks

The ports visited on the Discovery JUL 24-31were: Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka (this replaced Skagway) and Victoria. Nothing was added to replace Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, we didn’t really get to see any glaciers, other than Mendenhall in Juneau. After seeing the pics of the ship using tenders on AUG 4th, I’m very disappointed we did not tender in Skagway- we had the train booked…

I think it has to do with pier availability in Skagway.

That RRF pier is the one most used by the larger ships and you can bet there has been some fast and furious dealing between the Cruise Lines, Skagway, Sitka ,Icystraigh Point and Haines in the past week.

Just changing the booked Shore Excursions is probably keeping a lot of people at all the above Busy?