VeriFLY, ArriveCAN...

1 hour ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

The difference is that we do not have to test prior to entering Canada.  Viking will test us when we are embarking.  This information is from Viking, they said no worries, testing is done by them.  

Correct, Canada eliminated the arrival testing a couple of months ago.

I responded to the erroneous statement that Canada had just rescinded the pre-boarding test requirement. The latest online guidance hasn't changed since 30th June.

Since the regulations permit embarkation day testing, yes, Viking can provide this service, but it is still a requirement to board a cruise ship in Canada, or one that sails to a Canadian port. Therefore, if Viking are in fact offering this service, pax have the option of waiting to board a Viking ship until finding out they are negative.

Personally, I would be taking a test a couple of days prior, especially if I booked a Southbound cruise from Seward. Boarding in Vancouver for us is no issue, as it is less than an hour's drive home.

Edited by Heidi13

5 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

If you are on your own, I'm not aware that Viking is generally offering embarkation testing at the ship. That stopped when Viking ceased the daily required testing process. Curious if I'm misinformed? 🍺🥌

This is our understanding for our Oct Octantis voyage. We are going to Toronto early on our own and will need to arrange for pre-boarding tests ourselves within the 2 day or 72 hour window (antigen vs PCR) prior to boarding.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Agreed that you do not have to test simply in order to enter Canada.

I presume that you are on a pre-cruise extension through Viking? If that's the case, then others have indeed reported that Viking provided pre-embarkation testing as part of the extension.

If you are on your own, I'm not aware that Viking is generally offering embarkation testing at the ship. That stopped when Viking ceased the daily required testing process. Curious if I'm misinformed? 🍺🥌

I do not know anything about pre-cruise excursions.  We are flying Viking Air and they have requested we fly in one day ahead (Toronto) and are taking care of our hotel and all arrangements due to flight situations.  The person making the arrangements verified with 3 higher ups that Viking was taking care of testing when we embark.  My guess is, those who have neg. test within the time frame will not need to test, but those of us who do not have testing, they will test there.  We were clearly told no need for testing before we leave.

We are on Great Lakes. 

Just now, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I do not know anything about pre-cruise excursions.  We are flying Viking Air and they have requested we fly in one day ahead (Toronto) and are taking care of our hotel and all arrangements due to flight situations.  The person making the arrangements verified with 3 higher ups that Viking was taking care of testing when we embark.  My guess is, those who have neg. test within the time frame will not need to test, but those of us who do not have testing, they will test there.  We were clearly told no need for testing before we leave.

We are on Great Lakes. 

Thanks for the response - it appears that Viking is doing the test based on their request that you fly in a day early (normally they fly you in the same day as embarkation and you're on your own for testing).

They appear to be treating their need for earlier travel arrangements as if you were on a pre-cruise Viking extension. Good for them and you - enjoy the GL trip! 🍺🥌

We did the test one day in advance at Walgreen's while still in Florida.  It was checked very carefully at the tent where we embarked.  I accidentally handed them my vax paperwork instead of test results and they caught it immediately.  DUH. This was in Toronto for an Octantis sailing last month.  GREAT cruise!

• Like 1

We will be on a pre-extension (Great Lakes Milwaukee boarding), and while the information does say Viking will provide the testing, it does not say at zero cost or where it is done. On another social media site’s Great Lakes group, current pax complained when charged $100 (fee refunded after complaint) and experienced delays boarding because of being tested at the port. No thanks, I will confirm with Viking they will accept the video-proctored antigen test—as described on the official Canadian gov’t website—and do that in our hotel the day before embarking.

We’re flying to Canada in a few weeks, not cruise related but I’ve been keeping up with entry requirements. Canada can require a random COVID test upon entry at Toronto, Calgary, Montreal and Vancouver airports for fully vaccinated travelers. There is mandatory reporting of results and quarantine requirements with heavy penalties for not following through. I don’t know how that will interact with a cruise, especially if you come in a few days early. You can not leave Canada on public transportation if you have received a positive test result until the 10 day quarantine is over. 
There is an exemption from the random testing if you have a positive COVID test within 180 days that is satisfactorily documented. 
We’re planning to do a rapid test right before we go and have a printout of our positive COVID test from CVS last month. 

On 8/1/2022 at 5:04 PM, Jazmyn49 said:

We did the test one day in advance at Walgreen's while still in Florida.  It was checked very carefully at the tent where we embarked.  I accidentally handed them my vax paperwork instead of test results and they caught it immediately.  DUH. This was in Toronto for an Octantis sailing last month.  GREAT cruise!

We are flying in one day early on a Wednesday for the cruise out of Vancouver. We board on a Thursday. Can we take the antigen test anytime on Tuesday without trying to time it with the time we think we might board and a 3 hour time difference (3 hours earlier) from where we are flying from? So anytime on Tuesday would work for the test? 

7 hours ago, villager13 said:

We are flying in one day early on a Wednesday for the cruise out of Vancouver. We board on a Thursday. Can we take the antigen test anytime on Tuesday without trying to time it with the time we think we might board and a 3 hour time difference (3 hours earlier) from where we are flying from? So anytime on Tuesday would work for the test? 

Here is a link to the Govt of Canada requirements

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#pre-embarkation-test

On 8/1/2022 at 6:06 PM, dcl999 said:

We’re flying to Canada in a few weeks, not cruise related but I’ve been keeping up with entry requirements. Canada can require a random COVID test upon entry at Toronto, Calgary, Montreal and Vancouver airports for fully vaccinated travelers. There is mandatory reporting of results and quarantine requirements with heavy penalties for not following through. I don’t know how that will interact with a cruise, especially if you come in a few days early. You can not leave Canada on public transportation if you have received a positive test result until the 10 day quarantine is over. 
There is an exemption from the random testing if you have a positive COVID test within 180 days that is satisfactorily documented. 
We’re planning to do a rapid test right before we go and have a printout of our positive COVID test from CVS last month. 

This happened to us. Not really sure how they enforce this. Obviously some bureaucrats dreamed this up. We arrived in Vancouver on 7/21 to board cruise the next day. Had done all the ArriveCAN and VeriFLY-annoying, but fairly easy next to what we had to do to cruise out of Malta last year. A friend I was traveling with told me about the random testing, but we thought we’d be notified in some way if we’d been chosen. Whizzed through customs-barely looked at anything. Then later in the evening I checked email and my husband was flagged for random test. You have 24 hours to get test done. Our understanding was you would be notified within 15 minutes of arrival. By email???? Who checks email when claiming bags, going through customs, locating transportation, ect… 

I was furious, but afraid the expensive vacation would be ruined if we didn’t follow through. Hotel found us a testing site which we ubered to and back. He did test, but they don’t give you results there-have to send it out to lab. Meanwhile we are boarding ship within a few hours so how were they going to find him?? Never heard a thing. What a waste of time and money. If you are going to have random testing at least pull people aside at airport like TSA does.  

such a scam

• Like 2

On 7/27/2022 at 2:50 PM, Let Me Travel! said:

Isn’t it ridiculous?  We had to do the Air Can at the Atlanta Airport…then, we got to the port in Vancouver and our “tests” were 4 hours late!  We had to pay $75 each for new tests…negative…and then we got on the ship…(of course, we are totally vaccinated and boosted…we glow in the dark!) Canada just does not want the business…it is the MOST restrictive country in the world!  Won’t be going to Canada again until they get sane!

Agree

Isn’t it ridiculous?  We had to do the Air Can at the Atlanta Airport…then, we got to the port in Vancouver and our “tests” were 4 hours late!  We had to pay $75 each for new tests…negative…and then we got on the ship…(of course, we are totally vaccinated and boosted…we glow in the dark!) Canada just does not want the business…it is the MOST restrictive country in the world!  Won’t be going to Canada again until they get sane!

Agree-maybe not most restrictive but such ridiculous system

Agree-maybe not most restrictive but such ridiculous system

6 hours ago, grznuts said:

This happened to us. Not really sure how they enforce this. Obviously some bureaucrats dreamed this up. We arrived in Vancouver on 7/21 to board cruise the next day. Had done all the ArriveCAN and VeriFLY-annoying, but fairly easy next to what we had to do to cruise out of Malta last year. A friend I was traveling with told me about the random testing, but we thought we’d be notified in some way if we’d been chosen. Whizzed through customs-barely looked at anything. Then later in the evening I checked email and my husband was flagged for random test. You have 24 hours to get test done. Our understanding was you would be notified within 15 minutes of arrival. By email???? Who checks email when claiming bags, going through customs, locating transportation, ect… 

I was furious, but afraid the expensive vacation would be ruined if we didn’t follow through. Hotel found us a testing site which we ubered to and back. He did test, but they don’t give you results there-have to send it out to lab. Meanwhile we are boarding ship within a few hours so how were they going to find him?? Never heard a thing. What a waste of time and money. If you are going to have random testing at least pull people aside at airport like TSA does.  

such a scam

Was your ship disembarking in Canada at the end of the cruise or was it disembarking in the USA and you were not returning to Canada?  If leaving Canada never to return wouldn't you be ok not to have taken the test since they don’t know if you have taken the test for several days anyway and you’re already in the USA by that time. 

Hmmm…I detest this kind of militant bureaucracy. One problem you might have going forward is if you plan to go to Canada again sometime in the next few years. If you never got the test into them, you might now be flagged in the system and have a rude surprise the next time you visit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Hmmm…I detest this kind of militant bureaucracy. One problem you might have going forward is if you plan to go to Canada again sometime in the next few years. If you never got the test into them, you might now be flagged in the system and have a rude surprise the next time you visit!

I doubt that would happen.  Although I agree that the system may be burdensome at the moment, I would hesitate to call it militant. 

This random testing "off site" was a response to the clogging of our airports, and we all hope it ends soon, not the least of which are the pharmacies working like crazy to accommodate this new procedure.

4 hours ago, villager13 said:

Was your ship disembarking in Canada at the end of the cruise or was it disembarking in the USA and you were not returning to Canada?  If leaving Canada never to return wouldn't you be ok not to have taken the test since they don’t know if you have taken the test for several days anyway and you’re already in the USA by that time. 

We got on in Vancouver and off in Seward so yes no more Canadian customs. I wasn’t sure how it all worked at the time, but what happens is you through US customs before boarding ship. 
there was a whole registration process to get a code for test. We went through with it as I just wasn’t sure how it all worked.

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Yes- who knows?

But if they are really so worried about Covid-pull people aside for rapid test. 24 hours to test and then who knows how long to get results-probably be over Covid if you had it-

Help with a little background here - if you are a US resident, and you are traveling to Canada, is the ArriveCAN required as of today (August 8 ) before entry?  Is this for any form of entry?  We live close enough to Canada that we could drive up to catch a cruise.  Thanks!

8 hours ago, ClevelandKid said:

Help with a little background here - if you are a US resident, and you are traveling to Canada, is the ArriveCAN required as of today (August 8 ) before entry?  Is this for any form of entry?  We live close enough to Canada that we could drive up to catch a cruise.  Thanks!

Yes you must complete it for any form of entry into Canada within 72 hours of entering. 

• Thanks 1

We are sailing from Seward to Vancouver with the pre-cruise extension in Anchorage. Does anyone know if Viking will test us before boarding in Anchorage? When we get off in Vancouver we will be going straight to the airport.

13 hours ago, ClevelandKid said:

ArriveCAN is required any time you cross the border.  We go up to Vancouver regularly to see my ILs and have to fill it out every single time.  

• Thanks 1