5 day cruise vibe

I have always cruised on 7 or 8 day cruises but now have a 5 day planned.  I've heard 3 and 4 day RCCL cruises feel more like a booze cruise, though I don't have any first hand knowledge.  Is there any particular vibe you've noticed on  5 day cruises?

First, I will say that while I agree with that general characterization, the 4-day itineraries I've done have been substantially less like floating frat parties than the 3-day ones. YMMV.

I've only done a couple of 5-day cruises, but in my experience the vibe isn't much different than 7. Now that I live smack-dab in the middle of the country, 3-4 day cruises just aren't worth it for me when you factor in the air travel. But I will do a 5 if it's the best option. 

• Like 1

It depends on the port and ship also. The 4 and 5 night cruises out of Tampa are pretty mellow. Older ships that don't attract a large younger crowd. Never been during Spring Break though.... 

• Like 1

I would agree that the 5 day is very similar to the 7 day.  We've always taken friends that are new cruisers on a 5 day as it seems to allow them to experience cruising on a shorter trip that offers a fuller experience.  If they don't like it, it's only 5 days, if they like it, the are ready for a longer trip.  It's never come across as a booze cruise experience to us.  We've enjoyed doing them, but really do prefer a longer cruise because it's a long drive/flight from Michigan.

DW won't consider anything less than ten days.  However, last week we took the two GD's (7&9) on a five day Nav out of San Pedro.  It was not a frat party and not much difference than most.  Since it's M-F I would guess the F-M might be different.  

• Like 2

I've heard from friends that the 3 day cruises on RCL are more like booze cruises than any of their other offerings, especially since many of the 3 day cruises are over the weekend (Fri-Mon) and local people will often book those for a weekend away (YMMV).

I was on Freedom for a 4 day cruise and found that it was nothing like a booze cruise and was really just a good time.

44 minutes ago, coaster said:

It depends on the port and ship also. The 4 and 5 night cruises out of Tampa are pretty mellow. Older ships that don't attract a large younger crowd. Never been during Spring Break though.... 

That's funny. I had a bad experience on a 5 nighter out of Tampa with some very drunk, very loud young men next door. It was March so might have been their spring break. It was definitely a booze cruise, which I wouldn't care about if it didn't interrupt my sleep.

I did a short cruise on Navigator out of LA that was lovely. Nice and quiet, totally mellow vibe. I guess pick your dates with care. That was during the school year not during a vacation time.

1 minute ago, Jasukkie said:

That's funny. I had a bad experience on a 5 nighter out of Tampa with some very drunk, very loud young men next door. It was March so might have been their spring break. It was definitely a booze cruise, which I wouldn't care about if it didn't interrupt my sleep.

March is definitely Spring Break.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, notscb said:

I've heard from friends that the 3 day cruises on RCL are more like booze cruises than any of their other offerings, especially since many of the 3 day cruises are over the weekend (Fri-Mon) and local people will often book those for a weekend away (YMMV).

I was on Freedom for a 4 day cruise and found that it was nothing like a booze cruise and was really just a good time.

I just did a B2B 3-night and 4-night on Indy last week (was in Cococay with Freedom on both legs)...

FWIW, I barely noticed any difference on either leg from the 7-night cruises I am used to taking in the Summers.

1 hour ago, hotsauce126 said:

Imo everything about the crowd differences based on cruise length is exaggerated except for the fact that cruises longer than 7 days tend to have a more elderly crowd

3 day cruises starting on Fridays are definitely booze cruises. The 4 day on Monday, not so much

We did a back to back 5 day then 9 day on Navigator a few years ago. There was definitely a younger crowd on the 5 day. Didn't  really notice any difference in the amount of drinking partying etc.    

I don’t understand why people say RCI short cruises are booze cruises. I have been on numerous 3 day cruises on Navigator, Mariner, Freedom and Independence. I didn’t find them to be any different than 7-8 day cruises on multiple Oasis and Quantum class ships. The same goes for Coco Cay. The vibe on the island, especially in the Oasis swim up bar area, has been the same whether I was there on a 3 day cruise or a 7 day cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t understand why people say RCI short cruises are booze cruises.

I don't think this "take" is specific to RCL, for what it's worth. There's always been a vibe that the shorter the cruise, the more wild people will be getting to make the most of it. Not only that, but on a shorter cruise you're paying less (overall) for the drinks package.

My understanding of this came from a friend who lived near Galveston. She and her friends would go jump on the weekend cruises to get as trashed as possible.

Either my recent 3-nighter on Indy was an exception or I just didn't notice b/c our routine doesn't involve much partying (lots of eating, Solarium rather than main pool, DL, ice show, headliner, trivia, etc.)

The one thing I did notice... I've never in my life seen Sorrentos so busy at all hours of the day/night. That could be a result of the drinking, of course.

3 hours ago, notscb said:

I don't think this "take" is specific to RCL, for what it's worth. There's always been a vibe that the shorter the cruise, the more wild people will be getting to make the most of it. Not only that, but on a shorter cruise you're paying less (overall) for the drinks package.

My understanding of this came from a friend who lived near Galveston. She and her friends would go jump on the weekend cruises to get as trashed as possible.

I live in Florida and frequently go on 3 day weekend cruises. I just haven’t seen a significant difference between shorter and longer cruises. People who like to drink are going to drink no matter how many days they are on a cruise. I wouldn’t trust the word of someone whose goal was to get as trashed as possible, she probably had no clue what was going on around the ship if she was “trashed” most of the cruise.