Why I am so stressed about testing!

2 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

Wow - thanks for the helpful responses! 

I have heard of problems with the eMed tests, too.  If I order two tests, what if one doesn't work?  Should I order more? Thanks to those who are sympathetic.  I know I come across as a nut, but I have been confidently cruising for many years....before COVID.

You can order a package of 3. Just did that.  Have used them 3x with no problems including in Amsterdam in May to fly home.

• Like 2

Find a hospital that has an on-site testing lab, call your doctor and pediatrician and tell them you need a test for travel. Tell them the date and where you want the orders sent. Then show up at any point that day to get the test. They do the rapid NAAT testing, which is accepted by Royal and you'll have the results in an hour. They can do your entire family in the same visit.

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

It can be stressful, but look on the bright side. You’re driving and you will still be in the US. Like John, I’m flying to Barcelona in Oct. and am taking a test with me. I’m hoping I won’t have to pre cruise test. I have 1 Emed test left and it’s going with me. So far, after 3 Emed test, they have all been fine. I’m going to stay positive and keep my glass half full.

No, no, you want to stay NEGATIVE!! (sorry, couldn't resist)

I used the eMed tests several times without any issues, would definitely recommend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am concerned too.  My son was at his friends house for the entire day and his friend tested positive the next day.  This was over a week ago and my son has no symptoms. I think it is because we had it in June but didn’t test because we just thought we had a cold. So my concern is that he will either test positive because of the exposure or test positive because we had it in June. We are going to test before the zoom meeting to just stop worrying. We are using the free tests sent by the government and we have ten of them. So we will burn a couple for the peace of mind. Or to plan on canceling. 

Thank you for all the responses.  I was in a bit of a funk yesterday after the announcement because I was so hoping this would all be behind us.

I appreciate that so many of you have had good results with the inline testing, but my point is that many have not.

I guess we'll make an appointment with one of the telemedicine places with a Walgreen's appointment as backup.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Thank you for all the responses.  I was in a bit of a funk yesterday after the announcement because I was so hoping this would all be behind us.

I appreciate that so many of you have had good results with the inline testing, but my point is that many have not.

I guess we'll make an appointment with one of the telemedicine places with a Walgreen's appointment as backup.

Remember on social media most stories you hear are the ones with problems.  There are thousands of people each week using the online proctored kits from home with no issues.   

Rapidtestandtrace.com with the free government test kits works great as do the kits from emed or optum.   Much cheaper too!    

• Like 5

I ABSOLUTELY agree it is stressful! 

I am a 30 year Project Mgr who specializes in Risk Management so my first target was to have our law firm contact a PAC in Florida (a small group that has has the ear of the Cruise Industry) find out my options and second was to create a Plan B and a Plan C! 

I also posted the issue here on cc, received a bit of ridicule that I was paranoid, but still worth it. (Topic:  Cruise with Confidence Program & COVID Pre-travel Testing PROBLEM?’)

WRITTEN Response from RCL was this:  (I sail on a Friday)

‘Testing is required and 100% our guests responsibility so if they do not test, they will be denied boarding and would be in 100% penalty.  Perhaps they could buy a "Guided" test from Walgreens or their local pharmacy to alleviate all concerns.  

Cruise With Confidence requires cancellation 48 hour prior to embarkation day so if they sail on Friday, Wednesday is too late to cancel via Cruise With Confidence.

All of that said, we can offer a very limited amount of tests at the terminal on embarkation day’ …’

Ref:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-dont-find-a-pre-cruise-test-or-get-test-results-in-time

I was concerned that with CWC you MUST Cancel before the 48 hours of sailing BUT with the COVID Testing Policies you MUST test within the 48 hour period!   What I consider an RCL ‘catch 22’!

My Plan A was on online Proctor, my Plan B was to have a ‘cancellable’ local Pharma (CVS) for a test within the 48 hour pre-cruise period (EXPENSIVE), Plan C was to use (if Plan A & B failed) an alternate online Proctor (as many let you book a same day appt).

I have very choice words for the ‘veteran cruiser’ who ridiculed me and dismissed my deep concerns as again RCL has confirmed you are 100% in default and will lose 100% of your payment if you don’t do, as they call it, YOUR responsibility of getting a Proctored Covid Test!  I am not rich in any way and cannot afford loosing $10, let alone $6K!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Project-College said:

I ABSOLUTELY agree it is stressful! 

I am a 30 year Project Mgr who specializes in Risk Management so my first target was to have our law firm contact a PAC in Florida (a small group that has has the ear of the Cruise Industry) find out my options and second was to create a Plan B and a Plan C! 

I also posted the issue here on cc, received a bit of ridicule that I was paranoid, but still worth it. (Topic:  Cruise with Confidence Program & COVID Pre-travel Testing PROBLEM?’)

WRITTEN Response from RCL was this:  (I sail on a Friday)

‘Testing is required and 100% our guests responsibility so if they do not test, they will be denied boarding and would be in 100% penalty.  Perhaps they could buy a "Guided" test from Walgreens or their local pharmacy to alleviate all concerns.  

Cruise With Confidence requires cancellation 48 hour prior to embarkation day so if they sail on Friday, Wednesday is too late to cancel via Cruise With Confidence.

All of that said, we can offer a very limited amount of tests at the terminal on embarkation day’ …’

Ref:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-dont-find-a-pre-cruise-test-or-get-test-results-in-time

I was concerned that with CWC you MUST Cancel before the 48 hours of sailing BUT with the COVID Testing Policies you MUST test within the 48 hour period!   What I consider an RCL ‘catch 22’!

My Plan A was on online Proctor, my Plan B was to have a ‘cancellable’ local Pharma (CVS) for a test within the 48 hour pre-cruise period (EXPENSIVE), Plan C was to use (if Plan A & B failed) an alternate online Proctor (as many let you book a same day appt).

I have very choice words for the ‘veteran cruiser’ who ridiculed me and dismissed my deep concerns as again RCL has confirmed you are 100% in default and will lose 100% of your payment if you don’t do, as they call it, YOUR responsibility of getting a Proctored Covid Test!  I am not rich in any way and cannot afford loosing $10, let alone $6K!

Thank you!!!!

Just now, handbellplayer said:

Thank you!!!!

Get a PLAN B AND A PLAN C.   Risk is ALL about probability and impact.  Many of these Proctored online firms firm most of the time so probability may be low of a default BUTTTTTTT IMPACT, ....well can you afford to donate your cruise fees to the Cruise Line and not go?

Again, make a Plan B & C.  The smart move!

Those that say we are Paranoid.... view https://www.elliott.org/cruises/carnival-cruise-line-denied-boarding-mardi-gras-mistake/

Check this out as well....

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-happens-if-i-have-symptoms-at-the-terminal

Having a temperature could AND HAS been a reason for denying Boarding... check out https://www.flcourts.org/Florida-Courts/Online-Public-Docket for pending suits on the topic.

STRESS is not STUPIDITY or PARANOIA if it is rooted in FACT!

Hi Guys - just reading all the thread.  I too am mega stressed out about the testing.  We live in the UK and travelling to NYC for 4 nights before sailing on the Oasis for 7 nights towards the end of August.  I was a bit gutted yesterday after the announcement.

I could really do with some help as we are obviously not US citizens and have to figure out how and where to test on the Friday in NYC before we sail on the Sunday.  I have done a lot of research but its a bit confusing as most test places refer to US citizens.  The Royal Caribbean ones you can purchase (telehealth) only refer to US citizens...

I have had friends go to NYC and say there are loads of pop up test centres everywhere - but are they only for US citizens?

Some help from my fellow RC cruisers over the pond would be much appreciated...

PS:  I don't even want to think of what happens if we test positive and are stuck in NYC for an extra 7 nights.... trip to Niagra?  Cape Cod?

14 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

We keep two toddler grandchildren Thursdays and Fridays, so everything we do – testing, packing, etc. must be worked around drives to and from pre-school, baths, naps, etc.

not sure what the problem is. Pack on days other than Thursdays and Fridays, and do your tests while the kids are in preschool.

A lot of us have kids... and not just on Thursdays and Fridays.

21 minutes ago, Bouchy said:

I have had friends go to NYC and say there are loads of pop up test centres everywhere - but are they only for US citizens?

Welcome to CC.

Some of those may process cash payments for the test in which case citizenship won't matter. There's also a pier testing solution.

Edited by Biker19

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

Some of those may process cash payments for the test in which case citizenship won't matter. There's also a pier testing solution.

Thanks Biker19!  I will look in to the NYC ones rather than the pier testing.  I would be way too stressed to leave it until embarkation!  

I feel your pain.  I was hoping that the requirement for my 4 day cruise was going to be lifted on the 1st but alas it was not.  I have scheduled tests with rapid test and trace for the second.  It was easy to schedule and we have a bunch of government testing so we are all set to test on August 2nd.  I already have the confirmation emails ready to go. 

50 minutes ago, Bouchy said:

Hi Guys - just reading all the thread.  I too am mega stressed out about the testing.  We live in the UK and travelling to NYC for 4 nights before sailing on the Oasis for 7 nights towards the end of August.  I was a bit gutted yesterday after the announcement.

I could really do with some help as we are obviously not US citizens and have to figure out how and where to test on the Friday in NYC before we sail on the Sunday.  I have done a lot of research but its a bit confusing as most test places refer to US citizens.  The Royal Caribbean ones you can purchase (telehealth) only refer to US citizens...

PS:  I don't even want to think of what happens if we test positive and are stuck in NYC for an extra 7 nights.... trip to Niagra?  Cape Cod?

I just scheduled ours for rapid test and trace online and they have the option for overseas people.  I have a multitude of government tests and our libraries give them out for free so you could try to go to the NY public library and ask for tests.  You can also see if your government tests are accepted as well.  If you are stuck in NY I have many suggestions for you outside of the city.  I live in Western NY and there is a ton of stuff to do here in the great state of NY. 

Our cruise is not till the end of October and I am a bit stressed about it too. The timing of having to get it done and the off chance me, my wife or our 2 kids end up testing positive even if we are otherwise perfectly healthy and we miss our vacation as a result. It is ridiculous to even have a testing requirement at this point. 

53 minutes ago, Bouchy said:

Hi, I’m from the UK and I’ll be sailing from Barcelona next month. We’re going to use a company called Dochq. They’re based in the UK and they do a supervised test online. We have used them before and they were great. I was chatting to them online the other day to see if we can use them when we’re in Spain (we’ll be there a few days before the cruise). You can use them anywhere in the world. They issue a certificate whilst you’re online with them. I highly recommend them. 

38 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

not sure what the problem is. Pack on days other than Thursdays and Fridays, and do your tests while the kids are in preschool.

A lot of us have kids... and not just on Thursdays and Fridays.

Most helpful response yet! Thanks!!!!

I am stressed about the unvaccinated kids…has anyone had experience with the testing at the port.?  I don’t even want to think about the possibility that one of the kids had a negative pcr test and then tested positive at the port!  

13 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Use one if the at home tests the government sent and log onto Rapidtestandtrace.com. It is proctored, costs $20/pp, and you have the results in 30 min.  

This is what I’m doing this time too. Last time I used Emed.

OP I was worried the first time I had to do the proctored test. It’s normal since it’s something you don’t have experience with but once it was done I wished I hadn’t worried so much. It was really very simple. I’m not worried one bit about my next time. If we God forbid test positive then it is what it is and we’ll get a refund and move onto to planning a replacement vacation. Good luck🍀

• Like 1

We are right there with you on the stress level!  Sailing out of Seattle for a Alaskan cruise in August and we live in Michigan.  There are 5 of us going, and have three staterooms booked.  DH and I are paying for everything as a treat for our kids, so that will include the pre cruise testing that is still in place.  Since our cruise has a stop in Canada, even if Royal Caribbean stopped the testing requirement, I think we would have still had to do it for Canada.  Could care less about even getting off the ship in the 5 hours we are in Canada. 

What I am planning on doing is taking 15 of the free government home tests with me and we will all take a pre-test of sorts before I schedule all the proctored tests.  That way if one of us tests positive on the pre-tests I would only schedule that person for a proctored test and see what happens.  It would save the $80 in the other proctored tests, since I think that we would all have to cancel the cruise since it would be a close contact situation.  What a stressful mess.  We would all then be stuck in Seattle for a week trying to figure out something to do before our flight back home in 7 days.  This is our 20th cruise and these requirements are definitely sucking the joy out of our anticipation. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gsarnow said:

I am stressed about the unvaccinated kids…has anyone had experience with the testing at the port.?  I don’t even want to think about the possibility that one of the kids had a negative pcr test and then tested positive at the port!  

yes, we tested at Walgreens and then at the terminal. If in doubt, test them with the home antigen test starting 4 days out... Chances of a neg PCR test 2-3 days before the cruise and a positive antigen test at the terminal are low.

16 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

We keep two toddler grandchildren Thursdays and Fridays, so everything we do – testing, packing, etc. must be worked around drives to and from pre-school, baths, naps, etc.

I don't understand? You can get packed now and not wait?

With the kids you have pre-school so on the way there or home simply schedule the test around that so you can swing by to do the test.

Separately you can get tests from emed and just do it online at any time you want. We went with emed last time and it was super easy. If you are not sure watch some videos on it first on youtube as they show you how it works.

Getting tested at this point is fairly easy IMO unless the cruise line requires specific testing like they do for Kids who can't be vaccinated.