Mexico cruise best excursions especially in loreto

oceanfan1212

Hi

Loreto is a charming small town

Many people go there for ocean activities like whale watching,snorkeling,glass bottom boats etc

We like walking through town,watching the folk dancers,having a meal or a drink

Questions about soecific ports really belong in the port section of this web site and not in the general Princess section

We felt sorry for the people who booked the "walking tour" in Loreto. Everywhere we went they were there with their "guide". We paid nothing and had the same experience. It's really a small town. When we were there they had Mariachis playing in the square and the whole town pretty much turned out to make us welcome. (It was a new port that hadn't been visited many times.) The beach was empty and nice. It really was a nice place.

Note: I thought I didn't like Mariachi music but it turns out I hadn't ever heard good Mariachi music before. The group in the square were really excellent.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Thrak said:

Note: I thought I didn't like Mariachi music but it turns out I hadn't ever heard good Mariachi music before

So true !

It's worth checking out the Mariachi bands.  We saw a good one in the mall directly across from the pier in Puerto Vallarta.  Less that a half mile walk from the pier. 

I first visited Loreto in 1970, as a 15 yr old, on a fishing trip with relatives.  Since then, I continued visiting Loreto almost every year on fishing trips.  The current state of the "town" is a metropolis to what it was even 10 to 15 years ago.  But, it still maintains its tranquil environment.

It is great for dorado (mahi-mahi) fishing in the summer and yellow-tail fishing in the winter.  The people are extremely friendly, the seafood is fantastic and lots of American ex-pats.

Btw, we will be there at the end of the year on the Discovery's New Year's cruise.  We were there last year on the Majestic's New Year's cruise.

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 1

My wife and I are going on the October 23rd Sapphire Princess Baja Peninsula/Sea of Cortez sailing and have been looking for info on Loreto as well.  It seems to be a relatively uncommon port call for cruise ships (it only gets 2-4 port calls a month, and most of those are the Diamond and Sapphire Princess with one call each by Discovery Princess and Koningsdam for the rest of 2022) and it's a tender port, so those are things to take into consideration.  Loreto also doesn't have the kind of Malecon \ touristy area that Cabo or La Paz has so it will probably be a bit more laid back compared to those.  

Edited by Vexorg
  • Like 1

In 2019 we did this one:

Snorkeling At Coronados Island
4.75 hours | Loreto | LTO-775 $US 129.95 pp

and found it to be pretty much a bust.  Bad snacks, no place to eat the "snack", no real facilities on the beach, the one outhouse was beyond disgusting, snorkeling was just okay.  I walked back into town, had a much better time, and found a decent meal.  DW just went back to ship - she was not a happy DW.  Like others I have been to Baja many times by ship or not and had heard good things about the town itself and so had been looking forward to a visit. 

We did enjoy the Whale Shark Encounter at La Paz. 

We are repeating this itinerary on Diamond in November.  So we think it's worth a retry!

Edited by Papa Yoda
  • Like 1

We have been there before and are going again this year.  Our plan is to just walk around, listen to the Mariachis play, drink a beer and eat some nachos at a sidewalk cafe, and take some photos. 

The last time I was there I watched a Police Officer let a small girl help him direct traffic.  Yup, a very laid back town. 

The only tour I was interested in, hunting for a Unicorn, was booked, so will have to pass on that one. 😁

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob