Another Covid question....

Our friends are supposed to board Grandeur on Friday but they found out they were just at a party with people who tested positive this morning. My friends don't have any symptoms but they say they were in close contact, inside for hours. If they have symptoms Friday morning but don't test positive yet (you can have it and be contagious before you actually test positive) what is RCI's policy? They obviously don't want to chance spreading it if they have it, but they also don't want to miss out on going if it's just a cold, especially if they are out the money they paid for the cruise.

She told me that they are thinking as of now that they won't go even if they are still negative and just have a stuffy nose or cough, if RCI's policy is to give them future cruise credit.  

Anyone know the policy for these situations? She asked me because we cruise a lot, but fortunately (knock on wood!!) we have not encountered this problem.

2 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Are they planning on answering the pre-cruise health questionnaire honestly or dishonesty?

I think they are the type of people who would answer honestly, but it's reasonable of them wanting to know what the consequences would be. RCI is clear on their policy for positive test results, but I don't know about this situation. 

1 minute ago, soremekun said:

They've been in close contact with someone in the last 14 days who tested positive.  Will be denied boarding.

That makes sense, but do you know what the policy is for future cruise credit?  She said they have RCI's insurance but she doesn't know how that works for close contact with no positive test. I do independent insurance so I'm unfortunately not much help for my friend.

2 minutes ago, 3girlsmom said:

That makes sense, but do you know what the policy is for future cruise credit?  She said they have RCI's insurance but she doesn't know how that works for close contact with no positive test. I do independent insurance so I'm unfortunately not much help for my friend.

They will get a FCC for the full value of the cruise less taxes and fees thst will be refunded. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, soremekun said:

They've been in close contact with someone in the last 14 days who tested positive.  Will be denied boarding.

The problem with that is that many people are in contact with others who then go on to test positive/get sick but never know because it's people they don't know.  I really think that question is outdated with the fact it's so contagious.   We've all been around people who were positive and we had no idea.  Several  people on our cruise July22-28 on EN have tested positive and some are people I know through friends and others we had a meal with.  It's just not a question that is even useful anymore.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, soremekun said:

I was calling our resident travel agent to help with providing an accurate answer.  

He saw, he came, he performed well (as usual).

Sorry I missed the Bat Signal reference 😆....

Soremekun, you have been very helpful, thanks so much!! I will let her know.

4 minutes ago, 3girlsmom said:

Sorry I missed the Bat Signal reference 😆....

Soremekun, you have been very helpful, thanks so much!! I will let her know.

Thanks!  Can I use you as a reference?  Someone in another thread has a differing opinion.

• Haha 3

It's also possible that your friends will be sent to a secondary screening and be retested at the pier.  If they test negative they probably be allowed to sail. 

If they are initially denied for being in recent contact with someone who was just diagnosed with Covid, it might help their cause to offer to be tested at the pier.  Hopefully, if they do sail that they remain Covid free, and don't end up in quarantine onboard.

On a YMMV note...

I cancelled a planned solo cruise in April after my wife tested positive on the Wed/Thurs before I left.  I called RC, explained the situation and told them that even though I had tested negative, I wanted to cancel because I didn't want to get on the ship and then find myself a few days behind my wife and get sick then (I tested a couple times in the week after and never tested positive).

I must've been lucky...the rep put me on hold, came back a couple minutes later and let me know that they'd be refunding me the entire balance (not FCC).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure that is as automatic as folks seem to think, but for sure one can try to get a refund that way.

They wouldn’t expect a refund, just future cruise credit. Their biggest fear is waking up Saturday morning with symptoms and spending the entire cruise in quarantine. Also she said she would feel guilty sharing elevators & sitting next to people in the theater knowing they were exposed. 

6 minutes ago, 3girlsmom said:

Their biggest fear is waking up Saturday morning with symptoms and spending the entire cruise in quarantine. Also she said she would feel guilty sharing elevators & sitting next to people in the theater knowing they were exposed. 

That can happen to anyone at any time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That can happen to anyone at any time.

If you read my original post you’ll see that they were directly exposed a couple days ago…. The chances of them being positive & quarantined is higher than the average cruiser.
We’ve cruised 9 times since the start up. My husband finally came down with covid on July 3rd after an Alaskan cruise and I still haven’t gotten it.. 🤞

Its a difficult one. I was on a plane about 9 weeks ago and a couple days after my track and trace was going mad, saying id been in close contact with people. This was all from the flight as that was the only place where i was near people for any length of time. I never got covid but in the eyes of the health questionnaire i would be a close contact.......

I hope they stay well and it all gets sorted for them.

• Like 1