Flight to Seattle canceled - can we board Eurodam in Juneau?

LoraJ

1 minute ago, vswan said:

I don't understand the PVSA restrictions and fine comments. If you board in Seattle you have the stop in Victoria to satisfy the foreign port. What difference does it make if you board in Juneau and still have a Victoria stop later in the itinerary? Unless it needs to be embark and debark at the same port. You still are leaving a US port and stopping at a port in another country.

A "closed loop" cruise (one that starts in a US port, and ends in the same US port) only requires a stop at any foreign port.  However, a cruise that starts at one US port (Juneau), and ends at another US port (Seattle), requires a port call at a "distant" foreign port, regardless of whether it has a port call at a "near" foreign port (Victoria).  A "distant" foreign port is defined as one that is not in North America, Central America, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, or Bermuda.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

A "closed loop" cruise (one that starts in a US port, and ends in the same US port) only requires a stop at any foreign port.  However, a cruise that starts at one US port (Juneau), and ends at another US port (Seattle), requires a port call at a "distant" foreign port, regardless of whether it has a port call at a "near" foreign port (Victoria).  A "distant" foreign port is defined as one that is not in North America, Central America, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, or Bermuda.

You're explaining such a weird set of rules over and over again. Not sure why you believe these rules are honestly meant to make the world better. Because we agreed to not discuss this matter anymore,  please do ignore this post, but I believe PVSA helps exactly nobody.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

You're explaining such a weird set of rules over and over again. Not sure why you believe these rules are honestly meant to make the world better. Because we agreed to not discuss this matter anymore,  please do ignore this post, but I believe PVSA helps exactly nobody.

Except those US workers that work on Ferry boats and other commercial ships in the US that carry more than 12 passengers.  The laws are by international definition. It does not just apply to large cruise ships, but tour boats, ferries, etc.  Actually a fairly large number of workers when one looks at all of them throughout the US.

11 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

It’s cheaper for HAL to eat the fine , than refund cruise fare.

Why would HAL refund the cruise fare?

OP appears to have arrange their own flights, so simply is a 'no show'.

Maybe insurance, but no requirement on HAL to refund.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Why would HAL refund the cruise fare?

OP appears to have arrange their own flights, so simply is a 'no show'.

Maybe insurance, but no requirement on HAL to refund.

Why do you assume she arranged her own flights, when she called the emergency number HAL became aware of the problem and agreed she could board in Juneau, not a NO SHOW. The bottom line is she is now onboard and hopefully having a great cruise. 

People need to read the terms and conditions of Flight Ease carefully.  It does not replace travel insurance.  If your flight is cancelled or delayed significantly no one is holding the ship for you, you  need trip interruption insurance for that.   

Curious was Portland considered as an alternative to your flight to Alaska.  Hindsight is 20/20 but It's only 3 hours by train to Seattle.  This might have improved the her situation and and provided a better outcome.  We live near Newark and the weather has been horrible.  Newark is number 1 for delays and cancellations for very good reasons. Hope all your luggage arrives.

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

People need to read the terms and conditions of Flight Ease carefully.  It does not replace travel insurance.  If your flight is cancelled or delayed significantly no one is holding the ship for you, you  need trip interruption insurance for that.   

Many years ago, well before our first cruise, I asked a travel agent if a flight combined with a cruise reservation would provide some sort of protection against delays in reaching the ship on time. She made it clear that the two modes of transportation were separate, and that it was up to the customer to ensure a timely arrival at the dock. For that reason we have always booked our own flights to and from the cruise.

In my (possibly biased) opinion,  any savings realized if using a third party would be negated by the lack of control ( no direct contact with the airline).  And while trip interruption insurance is great for minimizing financial losses, it will not help to hold the ship... 

14 hours ago, ldtr said:

Except those US workers that work on Ferry boats and other commercial ships in the US that carry more than 12 passengers.  The laws are by international definition. It does not just apply to large cruise ships, but tour boats, ferries, etc.  Actually a fairly large number of workers when one looks at all of them throughout the US.

Please don't tell me the arguments I've heard for 9 years over and over again. It IS possible to make a exception for cruise ships. I once proposed to then simply make a list of ships that are cruise ships and can hire foreign workers. US waters are US waters and the US can decide what the laws are. 

It took Covid to make it happen, but such law HAS been adopted.  There is an actual list of ships in law. I haven't heard about ferries or tour boats appealing because now they should be able to hire Indonesians, too. 

PVSA originally wanted to protect an industry moving people from A to B. (fun fact: it was introduced because steam ships exploded). Now, people fly to A and fly back from B. If the very reason for a law is outdated, it should be refined or abolished. Or at least, lawmakers should rethink it. IMHO, PVSA solves precisely nothing.

2 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

And while trip interruption insurance is great for minimizing financial losses, it will not help to hold the ship... 

that was an unfinished sentence.  Too early in the morning , it should have read trip insurance to cover the losses of missing the ship

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mjdenn said:

Curious was Portland considered as an alternative to your flight to Alaska.  Hindsight is 20/20 but It's only 3 hours by train to Seattle.  This might have improved the her situation and and provided a better outcome.  We live near Newark and the weather has been horrible.  Newark is number 1 for delays and cancellations for very good reasons. Hope all your luggage arrives.

The problems with flights during that time was at the East coast end, a large percentage of flights canceled, any that did leave were pretty much packed.  Doubt they could even get out of where ever they were at to get anywhere

Haven't gotten kicked off the ship yet due to whatever rules. Hopefully my husband's bag will be in Sitka tomorrow.  I wish it was my suitcase that was delayed because he is missing so much stuff that he bought for the cruise. So hope the bag comes in the morning so we can do some hiking, etc. I am finally feeling relaxed from all of the frustration, using the thermal suite and had a massage yesterday. 

20220809_110300.thumb.jpg.8450d6d7b6fdfedb8ae71b539de383f8.jpg

• Like 29

3 minutes ago, LoraJ said:

Haven't gotten kicked off the ship yet due to whatever rules. Hopefully my husband's bag will be in Sitka tomorrow.  I wish it was my suitcase that was delayed because he is missing so much stuff that he bought for the cruise. So hope the bag comes in the morning so we can do some hiking, etc. I am finally feeling relaxed from all of the frustration, using the thermal suite and had a massage yesterday. 

One thing about Alaska cruise you can pretty much make your wardrobe pretty inexpensive souvenir clothing items.

12 hours ago, Mary229 said:

We used Flight Ease once to arrive at the ship at night.  We did not request this; it just happened the that the flight was scheduled.  I think that the plane actually landed at 6:30pm.  We were so late that the boarding process occurred on the ship as the terminal was closed. It was a strange experience, but completely with HAL's blessing.

Obviously there is something when booking through Flight Ease.

igraf

2 hours ago, LoraJ said:

Thank you for the update.  Glad the naysayers were wrong.

3 hours ago, LoraJ said:

…Hopefully my husband's bag will be in Sitka tomorrow.  I wish it was my suitcase that was delayed because he is missing so much stuff that he bought for the cruise. So hope the bag comes in the morning so we can do some hiking, etc….

@LoraJ I am glad you are relaxed now! When our baggage was delayed, the airline told us they would reimburse us for clothes and supplies (an average set amount for each day of delay, which could be purchased all on one day if needed) and our travel insurance would have done so if they hadn’t. We shopped in the HAL shops onboard. I hope the bag arrives and you get what you need!

Have a wonderful rest of your cruise!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, syesmar said:

@LoraJ I am glad you are relaxed now! When our baggage was delayed, the airline told us they would reimburse us for clothes and supplies (an average set amount for each day of delay, which could be purchased all on one day if needed) and our travel insurance would have done so if they hadn’t. We shopped in the HAL shops onboard. I hope the bag arrives and you get what you need!

Have a wonderful rest of your cruise!

United hasn't said anything about reimbursement.  I did save receipts just in case. 

10 hours ago, igraf said:

We used Flight Ease once to arrive at the ship at night.  We did not request this; it just happened the that the flight was scheduled.  I think that the plane actually landed at 6:30pm.  We were so late that the boarding process occurred on the ship as the terminal was closed. It was a strange experience, but completely with HAL's blessing.

Obviously there is something when booking through Flight Ease.

igraf

They will hold for a period but not for significant delays.  Usually when one flight is delayed there are likely multiple flights delayed 

8 hours ago, LoraJ said:

United hasn't said anything about reimbursement.  I did save receipts just in case. 

@LoraJ

See this page. Under “delayed bags”> tucked under “for bags still lost after five days”, it says “Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.”

link to Submit a Claim

Wishing you the best, hope your luggage arrives soon!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LoraJ said:

My husband's bag just arrived in the ship here in Sitka!! We can finally relax. 🙂

excellent news.   I am sure this is one cruise you will not forget.   hope your issues never happen again.

I will fly on 8/29 to Seattle for my cruise on Quantum.   

• Thanks 1