ArriveCan?

Oxo

4 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Do you have a link to this verbiage above?  All I see on the site is the Cruise policy that you posted in post #8 above.  We are boarding the Prima in Southampton in September and won't arrive in Canada until 12 days later (assuming we test 2 days prior to boarding).  Doesn't make much sense to me to test before embarkation.

Doesn't make sense to test at all! If you test 2 or 3 days before a cruise what does that prove if you are Negative those days? You travel 2 or 3 days later to get on the ship. Because you tested, you are not C19 free! You may have it and tested Negative, may get it traveling to the ship, etc. 

Now if you are cruising 6 days or less and Vaccinated, you don't need to be tested. Unless you are leaving a US Port and another port location requires testing. What difference does 6 or less make to the possibility of C19 compare to 7 days or less????

NO LOGIC HERE AT ALL!! JMHO

• Like 1

If you are required to test before boarding a ship, I would assume that is a ship requirement. It's not an entry to Canada requirement.

They dropped this testing fairly recently. When we flew back to Canada in November, 2021, we had to test before boarding the flight, and had to show the negative test results at air Canada checkin in. Then, when we arrived, we were also selected for random testing, so we had to test again, at the Toronto airport.

The random testing is still in effect, so cross fingers and t0es when arriving in Canada!  The mandatory testing before entering Canada isn't. For now anyway -- huge eyeroll.

Edited by macandlucy

3 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Yikes!  Another process that can't be completed until just before our flight😒

If I am understanding this right, easier to start this whole process from home on our PC?

And, our final completion can be at home 72 hours prior to boarding?  

I would much rather have something printed out than trying to fumble around with the app at the pier.

You can set up your account now. Load your passport vaccine card, and other information.

It is the final check in that you do just before your cruise (picking date and port of entry to Canada (Ogden  for Victoria)). And getting a QR code to show to embark the ship.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Oxo said:

Another way to frustrate us before a cruise. From what I can find they suggest using the web rather than the phone app. 

Thanks for your experience.

well will the information load to the app after putting it on the website.

I know cruiselines app will update but will ArriveCan do the same

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well will the information load to the app after putting it on the website.

I know cruiselines app will update but will ArriveCan do the same

Yes, because you are creating an individual account and must sign-in. Ensure you save your entries.

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

Yes, because you are creating an individual account and must sign-in. Ensure you save your entries.

so even though you can upload using computer, I guess still need to use app at checkin for the QR code.

I mean I wish this crap would all go away but have to deal with in the 3 weeks and in 6 weeks. two side of Canada on two different ships.  grrrrrrrrrr

let  me tell all that NCL is not forthcoming with the requirement for Arrive Can process.  Nothing I can find about it on their website, but this thread has been very helpful.  I am beyond trying to figure out how all this will work.  From a desktop after completing within the 72 hr. frame, will the QR code be printable?  Our cruise leaves Sept. 10th from Seattle.  Can you take a picture from the desktop of the vaccination cards, like you do with your photo when checking in online with NCL?    Talked with another NCL rep. and told definitely YES had to do the Arrive Can.  Nothing easy at all,  

From the Gov of Canada website:

If you have no smartphone or are taking a short trip

Within 72 hours of your arrival in Canada or before taking a short trip outside Canada, you can sign in to ArriveCAN from a computer to get your ArriveCAN receipt. Print your receipt and take it with you when you travel. You can also have someone submit your travel information on your behalf.

Looks like a yes! You can print it from a desktop.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

let  me tell all that NCL is not forthcoming with the requirement for Arrive Can process.  Nothing I can find about it on their website, but this thread has been very helpful.  I am beyond trying to figure out how all this will work.  From a desktop after completing within the 72 hr. frame, will the QR code be printable?  Our cruise leaves Sept. 10th from Seattle.  Can you take a picture from the desktop of the vaccination cards, like you do with your photo when checking in online with NCL?    Talked with another NCL rep. and told definitely YES had to do the Arrive Can.  Nothing easy at all,  

A6BBD3E4-B163-4F19-8D95-A765A87A9C19.jpeg

1 hour ago, macandlucy said:

If you are required to test before boarding a ship, I would assume that is a ship requirement. It's not an entry to Canada requirement.

They dropped this testing fairly recently. When we flew back to Canada in November, 2021, we had to test before boarding the flight, and had to show the negative test results at air Canada checkin in. Then, when we arrived, we were also selected for random testing, so we had to test again, at the Toronto airport.

The random testing is still in effect, so cross fingers and t0es when arriving in Canada!  The mandatory testing before entering Canada isn't. For now anyway -- huge eyeroll.

4953B281-F4D6-4116-BAF9-8BCBE0C75125.thumb.jpeg.d1d25692e13ff37bfd36f9952f05e613.jpeg

Like a lot of travelers, we are just fed up with this stuff.  Have cancelled our land trip in Canada and will avoid cruising there until they stop being so "extra".  Lots of other places to go now.  I have heard that Canada's travel industry is putting pressure on their government to drop it already.  However, they haven't seemed very responsive. 

I don't plan to get off the boat in Canada so why do I have to do it is my question. Seems worthless to do if you are not planning on going into Canada as we have to do all of the same things just to get on the boat. 

50 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Like a lot of travelers, we are just fed up with this stuff.  Have cancelled our land trip in Canada and will avoid cruising there until they stop being so "extra".  Lots of other places to go now.  I have heard that Canada's travel industry is putting pressure on their government to drop it already.  However, they haven't seemed very responsive. 

I’ve been reading that it’s more difficult and expensive to get into Bermuda! I’m sailing from Greece next year and they also require covid test pre-embarkation. I’m tested frequently due to my employment - but I still have to pay for the “proctored” test for my 9/4 from NYC to Canada…..🥺 Hopefully this will all stop soon! As a side note, all my Canadian co-workers who cross the border daily for work said that they are talking about dropping the ArriveCan requirements….and it can’t be soon enough!

1 hour ago, NayRN said:

I’ve been reading that it’s more difficult and expensive to get into Bermuda! I’m sailing from Greece next year and they also require covid test pre-embarkation. I’m tested frequently due to my employment - but I still have to pay for the “proctored” test for my 9/4 from NYC to Canada…..🥺 Hopefully this will all stop soon! As a side note, all my Canadian co-workers who cross the border daily for work said that they are talking about dropping the ArriveCan requirements….and it can’t be soon enough!

Bermuda is definitely even more annoying.  Not only do they require the test before boarding but you have to apply to enter a month in advance of your arrival and pay a fee of $40 per person.  The government of Bermuda has stated that this will continue at least through December 1.  We sail for Lisbon in November and Bermuda is our first stop.  When I booked it I was kind of assuming they would drop it like nearly everyone else by the time we sailed.  The only reason I will suck it up is that the itinerary is stellar and the price is right - but I really wish they would just drop Bermuda from our itinerary so we don't have to be bothered.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Such a ridiculous liberal policy that is frustrating travelers to Canada and those associated with the travel industry within Canada. I read that they laugh in disbelief how stupid, expensive,  and unnecessary this travel app is. It's been a useless disaster. I so look forward to filling this stupid thing out tomorrow as well. 

As a Canadian I can say that the majority of the population are not laughing at it. It's far from perfect, but I've used it many times for cruises, flights, driving and had Zero issues. My only complaint is there should be an easy solution for individuals who struggle with tech (or are unable to complete it without assistance), eg Kiosks at airports etc. 

The best advise I can give is to register an account well in advance, and get your traveler, vaccine, passport information into there asap. Then all you need to do within 72 hours is just enter in your travel data. Using the app will "link" your info to your passport (at least that's how it is for Canadians), and you won't even need to show anything (they'll already know if you completed it or not)

I'm not sure if it will be going anywhere soon. There was a recent update to the app, adding the ability to make your CBSA (aka Duty) Declaration in advance of arriving at select airports. They did this to speed up the process of getting through customs (a huge pain point). I know they are looking at digital solutions to speed things like this up.

5 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Do you have a link to this verbiage above?  All I see on the site is the Cruise policy that you posted in post #8 above.  We are boarding the Prima in Southampton in September and won't arrive in Canada until 12 days later (assuming we test 2 days prior to boarding).  Doesn't make much sense to me to test before embarkation.

The information on cruise travel is here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. 

9 minutes ago, bortman23 said:

As a Canadian I can say that the majority of the population are not laughing at it.

Yea, the ones that never leave their house and go nowhere I presume and never touch it. Every one of the hundreds of articles I read from Canada say its stupid. 

Edited by tallnthensome

12 minutes ago, bortman23 said:

The information on cruise travel is here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. 

The million dollar question though is when? How soon before boarding the cruise do you need to be tested? Is it 48 hrs before or 72 hrs before?

I'll be filling out the ArriveCan for myself and my parents, but we're taking separate excursions - so hopefully I can figure out how to print out a copy for them to have separately as there will be no way for them to use their phone out of the US to pull this info up on their own. 

6 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

The million dollar question though is when? How soon before boarding the cruise do you need to be tested? Is it 48 hrs before or 72 hrs before?

The rapid antigen test must be taken within two days of embarkation.  So, if you embark on a Saturday, the test can be taken on Thursday at the earliest.

• Like 2