Tips with drink package

Okay, I *know* I’m beating a dead horse here so please don’t come after me! 🤪 I’m on my phone and the CC search function doesn’t work properly on my phone’s browser. 

I sail tomorrow and for the first time ever, bought the deluxe beverage package. The gratuity that I paid when purchasing…does all of that go straight to bar and/or wait staff? Or is it split into a larger pool like the per person/per room gratuities? I plan to tip extra when ordering my drinks..but I’m trying to figure out how much extra I want to tip.

What do you typically do?

I'm under the impression that it goes directly to the wait staff.

My practice with a drink package or by the drink is to tip the server an extra dollar or two as he/she takes my order - usually Scotch. I also ask their name if I can't read the nametag.  Soon I'm getting a better pour and from something off the higher shelf.  On my most recent cruise, the server noticed I like a Scotch with a more peaty flavor.  He went to another bar to retrieve some Talisker and it was my private reserve for the rest of the cruise.

I often see those same servers in other venues and they hustle right over to take my order, or hustle right over with my favorite in hand.

It's amazing what a smile, some basic human respect, and a dollar or two will do to enhance your cruise.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, flamingos said:

What's your opinion of the Scotch selection on board?  We're not real pleased by it.

I'm usually not disappointed by most Scotches.  I can get by just fine with Dewers - which seems to always be available on most lines.  When I treat myself at home it's Bowmore or Jura, and failing those any Scotch from Islay.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I usually take a stack of one and two dollar bills to use.  Two dollar bills are unusual, and it helps them remember me and my order.

Another person that’s not worried about brining 2.00 bills 💵.  
I always bring them.   They are great conversation starters.   
a lot of people don’t like them  thinking the staff has no idea what they are Lolol.   
when I get breakfast room service I use them too.   

this is  what my tip money looks like. Lol 

323761FE-02C4-4B14-8642-DDC1BD3DF42A.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'm usually not disappointed by most Scotches.  I can get by just fine with Dewers - which seems to always be available on most lines.  When I treat myself at home it's Bowmore or Jura, and failing those any Scotch from Islay.

We were hoping it would go back to the Before Times when they had a much better selection.  On Mariner last fall, right after restart, the bartender in the British pub was able to find a bottle of Macallan under the bar and we drank that until it ran out.  🙂   

• Like 3

I bring a hundred in singles and another hundred in fives , some of our drink go above drink package level so might add tip to receipt . As for scotch need to check out all the bars some will have selections that others don’t, I like Johnny Walker Green .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'm under the impression that it goes directly to the wait staff.

My practice with a drink package or by the drink is to tip the server an extra dollar or two as he/she takes my order - usually Scotch. I also ask their name if I can't read the nametag.  Soon I'm getting a better pour and from something off the higher shelf.  On my most recent cruise, the server noticed I like a Scotch with a more peaty flavor.  He went to another bar to retrieve some Talisker and it was my private reserve for the rest of the cruise.

I often see those same servers in other venues and they hustle right over to take my order, or hustle right over with my favorite in hand.

It's amazing what a smile, some basic human respect, and a dollar or two will do to enhance your cruise.

I asked that question to the DL host on Navigator a few months ago. He said almost  all Gratuities from every package and auto tips goes into the ship pool. He said the wait staff in specialty get   about $4.00 from the UDP for each meal. Waiters in the C&A lounges receive nothing. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, gavvy said:

Is it the norm to tip cash with the drinks packages then. Assumed as 18% included no additional was needed?

Forget "norm".  Do what makes you comfortable.  Yes, you have already paid 18% gratuity when you purchased the package.  

Others have stated that they get "better service" if they tip with each drink.  But no, this is not required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, gavvy said:

Is it the norm to tip cash with the drinks packages then. Assumed as 18% included no additional was needed?

Most people don’t tip extra. I would guess maybe 5-10% of cruisers tip extra. 18% tip for drinks is more than generous. I tip extra because i’m a schmuck and too nice. You’re going to get the same drinks and same service whether you tip extra or not. 

4 hours ago, Bird82 said:

Most people don’t tip extra. I would guess maybe 5-10% of cruisers tip extra. 18% tip for drinks is more than generous. I tip extra because i’m a schmuck and too nice. You’re going to get the same drinks and same service whether you tip extra or not. 

See post #2 above.  It's probably true that most people don't tip a little extra.  That's why my two dollar bill opens the door to better pours and better Scotch.

The "no extra tipper" gets something from the well while I'm enjoying a nicer Scotch.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

See post #2 above.  It's probably true that most people don't tip a little extra.  That's why my two dollar bill opens the door to better pours and better Scotch.

The "no extra tipper" gets something from the well while I'm enjoying a nicer Scotch.

If you have the drink package you can ask for whatever Scotch you want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2022 at 6:52 AM, King10Sooted said:

If you have the drink package you can ask for whatever Scotch you want.

True, but depending on the deal most often I don't get the drink package, especially when I cruise solo and I only drink a wee dram or three in the evenings.   In those times when I'm paying by the drink, my two dollar bill works well. 

On 8/13/2022 at 7:41 AM, PSU_Redhead said:

Okay, I *know* I’m beating a dead horse here so please don’t come after me! 🤪 I’m on my phone and the CC search function doesn’t work properly on my phone’s browser. 

I sail tomorrow and for the first time ever, bought the deluxe beverage package. The gratuity that I paid when purchasing…does all of that go straight to bar and/or wait staff? Or is it split into a larger pool like the per person/per room gratuities? I plan to tip extra when ordering my drinks..but I’m trying to figure out how much extra I want to tip.

What do you typically do?

I could care less on how it is split, and/or who gets it since I paid it, and that is it.   I absolutely never tip extra for anyone and for any reason.  

I also only tip the "customary amounts" which on a ship, is not 18%, and it is prepaid, so I tipped it already.  

It is absolutely not necessary to tip extra on top of the gratuities that were already paid.  Extra tipping is a personal preference.  I always tip in cash on top of the prepaid gratuities.  The way I see it is that if I have enough money to go on vacation, then I have enough money to give cash tips to the individuals providing me service.  I feel that individuals in the service industry are not fairly compensated for what they have to put up with, so if I can give a little extra, I will.

• Like 3

18% on each $13 drink is plenty.  For my wife and I our tip for our upcoming drink package is $171 - which is very generous.  You will see a lot of the Diamond Plus folks don't tip more than $1 on their free drinks that don't include tips.

On 8/15/2022 at 9:16 AM, NYMama said:

I feel that individuals in the service industry are not fairly compensated for what they have to put up with, so if I can give a little extra, I will.

First, let me just say that I will tip extra for exceptional service.  If a bartender or server does a little extra something for me (extra cherry, or some nice presentation for example), then I will tip above the pre-paid drink package gratuity.  However, I am worried about the mindset of the service industry not being fairly compensated... You see, if employers know the staff will get tipped enough, they can continue to not pay fair wages.  If they aren't earning in tips, and the employers compensation is also low, they will leave and do something else.  Eventually, employers will be forced to pay more.